Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
It used to be that if you owned a shorter pipe like the vintage 5-1/2“ GBD Fantasy lucite below on left (one of my all-time favorites), it was to bring along in your hunting vest or in your tackle box. The average pipe was 6” or more in length.

Now when I watch videos of the the Chicago and Columbus or Muletown pipe shows, every other table is full of the sub-5” pipes like the two on the right in the photo. Go on any artisan pipe maker website, and it seems like the majority of the designer pipes are “nose warmers“ nowadays.

Are shorter pipes with big bowls now the norm? Do you own a pipe under 5”?

(click or tap on photo to enlarge)

Attachments

• IMG_8993.jpeg
    IMG_8993.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Reactions: KruegerFlap

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I do have a couple of sub 5" pipes, closer to 4" like a nose warmer. While they smoke well enough the nosewarmer isn't my favorite, I much prefer a pipe 5 to 6 1/2" in length.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I’m not sure how long the OP has been smoking a pipe or how much time he spends browsing through the huge inventory of pipes available for sale.

Seems to me he is making a generalisation regarding short(er) pipes.

In the 1800’s - early 1900s tobacco was expensive, so pipes (clays and the early briars) tended to be small.
Even so, large pipes were available as evidenced by the meerschaum Kalmasch of that era - some of which will easily hold 1 ounce of tobacco or more

While I have centurions which are a group 1-2 in size, the majority of my antique pipes are group 3-5. I have a Barling briar Kalmasch which is a whooping group 6-7

Fashion plays a part - then and now. Pipe makers have to sell their wares. So they will make what the market demands.
This is evidenced by the popularity of the devil anse a few years ago.
Lane era Charatans were considerably upsized compared to their diminutive early family era predecessors

Lots of examples of what members like on the various threads - “Show Us Your ……” and “WAYS”
There are members who love nosewarmers - @KORNEY comes to mind with his beautiful collection.
@Chasing Embers prefers pipes with more capacious chambers

Personally I am fairly small sized. So I prefer pipes below 6ins in length.
In fact for ease of clenching, my preference is for one no longer than 5ins.
But if I like a pipe enough I will buy it regardless of its size.

Overall I have not seen evidence of a trend towards sub 5in pipes or nosewarmers.

There is enough variety to suit every pipe lover here.
Buy/collect what you like.