PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a number of shorter pipes, some MM cob special editions, and others. But most are over five inches, if just a bit. Here's a great short pipe I won in a limerick contest sponsored by a member, a Caminetto Hawkbill, that smokes great, my most uptown shorter pipe, with a good big chamber.

DDBE7E95-C850-4A39-BF7A-A8485A4FE4AB.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I have a lot of <5” pipes.
Here’s a few.

Pre-Republic Peterson “SPORTS” PrinceView attachment 245192
Scottie Piersel Author w/jumaView attachment 245193
WDC bent BDView attachment 245194
Cased pair of KB&B London LikeView attachment 245195
This KW 😂View attachment 245196
Scott Cline tomato-cano
View attachment 245197
The His Nibs (Custom-Bilt) in the front.View attachment 245198
Quinton Wells Prince
View attachment 245199
Alfred Barling Meer 1896View attachment 245200
Poul Winsløw CrownView attachment 245202
Turn of the century Austrian Meer
View attachment 245203
Haven’t seen that Winslow before. Do you have any more photos of it?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
5”-6” still seems like a pretty common/average sized range you’ll see the majority here smoking.

Nose Warmers aren’t a norm, and the usage of the word ‘Designer’ is not a common term most refer to, in regards to smaller custom carvers. The term is usually referred to as ‘Artisan’. I would also not consider that the majority of the Artisan Carvers around the world are also making nose warmers, as the vast majority style they make, a lot of them make various pipe shapes and sizes.

If you haven’t done this before, and you use Instagram, the fastest way to find and see Artisan Carvers all around the world, do a search for ‘briar pipes’.

Also, since you mentioned designer and I stated artisan, it doesn’t mean there is also any particular price point range, in order for you to be classified as Artisan. The carver could be hand making pipes for $150, and that’s, designer/artisan enough.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I own a couple nose warmers. My standard is 5 to 5.75 inches, straight. That's the length I look for when buying or commissioning a pipe. But there's a few I've seen that i just liked alot and bought even though they were under 5" (not by much). Only about a half inch or so shy of 5".
I've come to really enjoy these pipes when I'm on the move. Walking around downtown, driving, riding around the farm, etc.
Though I will say - some are just ridiculous and funny looking. Not to mention they probably suck to get lit. It is a trend though, people like little chubby pipes now. No competition from me.
To each their own...

Reactions: AroEnglish
H

HRPufnstuf

I've had several NWs, they are great when you work in enclosed spaces or in tangled shrub beds etc. Shorter pipes are easier to hold in the teeth and they snag and collide with fewer things when I'm working.

Dr. Plumb and Lorenzetti both made some very appealing short pipes. I also own a clay that's close to thirty years old now, it is chewed down to under 4" at this point.

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
I don’t think you understand the historical range of sizes of pipes.

And, yes.

I think I do. But I respect the fact that you think I don’t.

In my neck of the woods, smaller pipes were typically smoked as travel pipes or while hunting or fishing. The longer pipes were for Sundays on the front porch swing.

That said, I just purchased a collection of two dozen sub 5” artisan pipes from Italy, so I’m trying to become a bit more cosmopolitan. Please bear with me; heck, I still have an AOL email address for which I pay $24 a month.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some complain about short pipes sending smoke up their noses. I have several nose warmers and have never experienced this. I guess it depends on how your nose and face are proportioned and what your smoking habits are.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Some complain about short pipes sending smoke up their noses. I have several nose warmers and have never experienced this. I guess it depends on how your nose and face are proportioned and what your smoking habits are.
It really does. Even with big pipes you can get a bit of smoke in your eyes/nose if you are still and the air is still. I also am a fan of the French inhale - only the first puff - but I do it as a way of tasting, especially with cigars.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Agree. I have a nose that closely resembles a canopy and yet I've never had a problem with getting smoke up my nose.

• Haha
Reactions: seanv

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It used to be that if you owned a shorter pipe like the vintage 5-1/2“ GBD Fantasy lucite below on left (one of my all-time favorites), it was to bring along in your hunting vest or in your tackle box. The average pipe was 6” or more in length.

Now when I watch videos of the the Chicago and Columbus or Muletown pipe shows, every other table is full of the sub-5” pipes like the two on the right in the photo. Go on any artisan pipe maker website, and it seems like the majority of the designer pipes are “nose warmers“ nowadays.

Are shorter pipes with big bowls now the norm? Do you own a pipe under 5”?

(click or tap on photo to enlarge)
90 percent if not 100 percent of my pipes are 5" or less. Wimpy jaw here....