PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Woodfly

Lurker
Apr 12, 2024
Denmark
That is truly a nose warmer, and it is a real beauty. Would you mind telling us what it is and maybe a photo of the top of the bowl area?
Thank you so much Johnny.
I wish it was something fancy but it is just one of my own creations. Tried to make an apple shaped pipe, but the briar disagreed. 😅

Hope these pictures are what you are looking for?

1000003324.jpg1000003323.jpg

johnnyflake

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
WOW! If you did that yourself, even if the briar wouldn't work with you, you did a super nice job.

Are all the others made by you as well?

Do you ever put any of your work up for sale?

Reactions: Woodfly

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
View attachment 303980View attachment 303981View attachment 303982View attachment 303983
All of them right around 5 inches. I don't have any problem with getting smoke in my nose or eyes. Even my bigger pipes are under 6 inches. I'd rather enjoy several 45 minute bowls spread out than one 1 hour and 20 minute bowl. My smaller ones are my best smokers too.
Love that northern briar nosewarmer. I have 25 plus pipes 5" or less. Mostly Castello 10s, stout radices, Dunhill 3s, an eltang poker, peterson shorts and a couple of nice musicos

Reactions: hoipolloiglasgow

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Love that northern briar nosewarmer. I have 25 plus pipes 5" or less. Mostly Castello 10s, stout radices, Dunhill 3s, an eltang poker, peterson shorts and a couple of nice musicos
My favorite pipes are older group 3 Dunhills. I have a bulldog at 5 inches that I didn't post. Northern Briars is my favorite modern pipe maker. I have a bulldog being made for me now that's 5 incher group 3, pretty much like the Dunhill. I love my medium size bowled pipes. They smoke just as well as my bigger/thicker pipes. As long as a pipe is made well, size and thickness plays only a small part.

Reactions: kcghost

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
My favorite pipes are older group 3 Dunhills. I have a bulldog at 5 inches that I didn't post. Northern Briars is my favorite modern pipe maker. I have a bulldog being made for me now that's 5 incher group 3, pretty much like the Dunhill. I love my medium size bowled pipes. They smoke just as well as my bigger/thicker pipes. As long as a pipe is made well, size and thickness plays only a small part.
I have three Northern Briars at the moment: A sandblasted cherrywood with a striped stem (think Ashton), a reasonably large sandblasted lovat and a smooth paneled billiard (fairly large) with an acrylic Cumberland stem. For the price you cannot beat them. Nice pipes. I traded a Bing premier with silver because the fit/finish was not great. Overall, however, Ian makes very good pipes.

Reactions: hoipolloiglasgow

Woodfly

Lurker
Apr 12, 2024
Denmark
WOW! If you did that yourself, even if the briar wouldn't work with you, you did a super nice job.

Are all the others made by you as well?

Do you ever put any of your work up for sale?
Thank you. 🙏
All the pipes I own are made by me, except for two that my grandfather made when he was alive.

I'm not really selling pipes at the moment. I've only crafted 11 pipes so far and I'm not nearly satisfied enough with my work to sell it. 😅

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Thank you. 🙏
All the pipes I own are made by me, except for two that my grandfather made when he was alive.

I'm not really selling pipes at the moment. I've only crafted 11 pipes so far and I'm not nearly satisfied enough with my work to sell it. 😅
Very nice pipe.
And pleased to hear you’re continuing a family tradition
Perhaps you could start a new thread to show the other pipes you have made. I’m sure there is interest here.

Reactions: Woodfly

Woodfly

Lurker
Apr 12, 2024
Denmark
Very nice pipe.
And pleased to hear you’re continuing a family tradition
Perhaps you could start a new thread to show the other pipes you have made. I’m sure there is interest here.
Thank you Oz.
I try to honor my grandfather in as many ways I can. After he died and as I've gotten older I've found out that we were very much alike. I feel even more connected to him after he died than I did when he was alive. I know it sounds stupid. 😄

I think it is against the forum rules to self-promote, so I think a seperate thread with my pipes is out of the question.
My primary goal of being a part of the forum is to be part of the awesome community and to learn more about smoking. Showing a pipe or two that I've made comes as a natural part of being involved in the debate in here I think. Especially since I don't smoke any other pipes than my own. 🙂

Reactions: AroEnglish

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Thank you Oz.
I try to honor my grandfather in as many ways I can. After he died and as I've gotten older I've found out that we were very much alike. I feel even more connected to him after he died than I did when he was alive. I know it sounds stupid. 😄

I think it is against the forum rules to self-promote, so I think a seperate thread with my pipes is out of the question.
My primary goal of being a part of the forum is to be part of the awesome community and to learn more about smoking. Showing a pipe or two that I've made comes as a natural part of being involved in the debate in here I think. Especially since I don't smoke any other pipes than my own. 🙂
it’s against the rules if you are offering your pipes for sale.
But in this case you have stated that you are NOT looking at selling any of your pipes.
So I don’t think there is any conflict here

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

Pipeoff

Jun 22, 2021
Western New York

Attachments

• AE3B9453-7089-418C-89AB-C6E5950F0823.jpeg
    AE3B9453-7089-418C-89AB-C6E5950F0823.jpeg
    382.1 KB · Views: 4