PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Most of my regular rotation are about 5 1/2 to 6" in length with varying chamber sizes. I do own a whole bunch of meerschaum 'cutty' pipes that are all Churchwarden length but I very rarely smoke them. I have this amazing foot long 'cutty' in a case which I think might have been a shop window display piece. We all have our reasons, I have few teeth on one side of my mouth so I cannot clench a heavy pipe!

Reactions: AroEnglish

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I have a couple pipes that are a bit longitudinally challenged. A couple MMs that are a bit under 5", or very close to it. They have their place in my rotation without a doubt. But I do prefer something with a bit of length to it.

Reactions: AroEnglish

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
It used to be that if you owned a shorter pipe like the vintage 5-1/2“ GBD Fantasy lucite below on left (one of my all-time favorites), it was to bring along in your hunting vest or in your tackle box. The average pipe was 6” or more in length.

Now when I watch videos of the the Chicago and Columbus or Muletown pipe shows, every other table is full of the sub-5” pipes like the two on the right in the photo. Go on any artisan pipe maker website, and it seems like the majority of the designer pipes are “nose warmers“ nowadays.

Are shorter pipes with big bowls now the norm? Do you own a pipe under 5”?

(click or tap on photo to enlarge)
I don’t think you understand the historical range of sizes of pipes.

And, yes.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I have a lot of <5” pipes.
Here’s a few.

Pre-Republic Peterson “SPORTS” PrinceView attachment 245192
Scottie Piersel Author w/jumaView attachment 245193
WDC bent BDView attachment 245194
Cased pair of KB&B London LikeView attachment 245195
This KW 😂View attachment 245196
Scott Cline tomato-cano
View attachment 245197
The His Nibs (Custom-Bilt) in the front.View attachment 245198
Quinton Wells Prince
View attachment 245199
Alfred Barling Meer 1896View attachment 245200
Poul Winsløw CrownView attachment 245202
Turn of the century Austrian Meer
View attachment 245203
That Quint Wells pipe is NICE

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
By shear luck I happened to be smoking, what I guess is, my shortest straight pipe when I found this thread. It's exactly 5" long and is a Mastro billard. I don't know why but for some reason I love this pipe and find myself grabbing it off the rack a couple times a week. Good smoker.

inlifnjje (3).jpg

I've always felt the notion that a longer stem will smoke cooler is exaggerated and although I've not done any scientific testing, from experience I would say that after about 4 or so inches, length doesn't make any difference. puffy

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Once upon a time you could make that joke and refer to those "most people" as a collective term which starts with the letter "w".

Today, well, it's... complicated.

View attachment 245172
hahaha. I preferred to use people in this instance cause it postponed the punchline for longer as you read the sentence. If I had said women I think you would've already known where I was going with it. But hey there's a reason I have a day job and I'm not a comic :ROFLMAO: puffy

Reactions: Zero and jpmcwjr

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
The minimum bowl size I can tolerate seems out of proportion in a pipe of less than five inches, giving a clownish aspect to the pipe. Just my opinion, obviously. My smaller pipes just don't get used very much, unless you count beaters for outdoor activities.