PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
There are nearly eight billion souls on earth, about half are men, and at least a billion times a day, likely more like two billion or more, men look in a mirror and shave.

That’s a lot of razor blades.:)

The original shaver was what we call the straight razor. I own my grandfather’s and I took it to my barber about forty years ago (he’s 94 now) and he said he learned in barber school in 1952 to not use that. The double edged razor he claimed was far easier to use, gave as close a shave, and didn’t need honing and stopping. He did hone and strop my razor and I tried using it just once, not twice.:)

But for $26 you can still buy a complete new straight razor kit.

View attachment 257607View attachment 257609

For those who would like to find a lazier way to shave with a straight razor these seem popular.

View attachment 257612View attachment 257613View attachment 257614

Many years ago I was given an electric razor but I got razor burn from it and it’s somewhere in a box of treasures.

I will say cartridge five blade Harry’s razors work and they are fast and hard to cot yourself with.

But I’m going to play with my old razors a awhile.

What a man saves on blades might buy an extra pouch of tobacco every few months.:)
Although the majority of my face is covered with a beard, I still like to have clean upper cheeks and a clean straight neckline. What I've learned from 20 years of using a straight razor is, not all straight razors are created equally. You really do get what you pay for. I tried a couple of those inexpensive straight razors and they were absolute garbage. No matter how much work I put in to sharpening those things, they would never provide a good shave.

I bought an antique Eagle Brothers razor at a gun show after trying to get those cheap pieces of junk to work. Night and day difference. Now I've got a few higher end ($100+ razors) that work amazing, but, much like pipe smoking, straight razor shaving is as much about the ritual as it is the act.

I can also highly recommend The Blades Grim Cinder Aftershave, just a few drops and it prevents razor burn and irritation, and it smells wonderful also.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
What King Camp Gillette accomplished in 1904 and which has been refined to an amazing degree by the plethora of plastic cartridge razors today is sell easy to use razors.

When the aloe strip wears off a Harry’s cartridge I’ll trim my callouses on my feet, and it’s hard to draw blood. The used cartridge will have bent blades and still the thing slices off dead skin without bleeding.

A traditional surgeon’s scalpel has to be the sharpest blade possible but they aren’t sold to shave hair.

The very best straight razors have to not only be sharp, they must hold that edge long enough to complete a shave and must be capable of having the edge restored easily and have to have precisely the best blade angle to shave hair.

What makes a double edge razor blade such a wonderment is they can be made in Russia, India, or China for a few cents each and work well enough to make a straight razor a rare instrument.

Reactions: JOHN72

AuroraSurrealis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2019
Finland
German-made Wilkinson Sword is my go-to-blade, Personna Blue and Gillette Perma-Sharp go as well with my Fatip open-comb safety razor. I’ve tried various other DE-blades but my thick and stubborn beard seems to rule out all the less aggressive ones.

I’ve noticed that Wilkinson Sword peculiarly improves its performance in use, reaching the top-sharpness on third or fourth shave.
IMG_0889.jpeg

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
If somebody interested in wet shaving hasn’t figured it out this far into the thread there is only one truth: Only you can figure out what blade works for you.

Like pipes and tobacco the exploration is part of the enjoyment. Shaving is a chore of sorts so a person might as well enjoy it.

Fortunately you can buy blade assortment packs to try many brands for not much money. Same thing goes for shaving soaps.

Rope to climb back out of the rabbit hole costs extra.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’ve lurked at Badger and Blade today and tried to educate myself on wet shaving.

Our modern multi blade pivoting plastic cartridge razors and modern gel shaving creams are the fastest and easiest way to wet shave. There’s been over a century of refinement and if you want a slick face without thinking much about it, then it’s a Truman or Winston Harry’s razor and your favorite gel shaving cream.

But for the ultimate shaving experience go find a barber that still uses hot towels and a good straight razor.

Or you can try and learn to use a straight razor to shave yourself. It’s an art. It takes lots of time and practice plus, you have to learn to hone and strop your own razor.

I was surprised to learn the Gem type single blade razor predates the Gillette double edge type, and the Gem wasn’t the first of that type, but the first to sell millions of single edged safety razors using a Gem blade. The Gem single edge is twice as thick, lasts longer, and can be honed and stropped compared with the thin double edged blades.

The heavy brass and nickel plated early Gem (and co brands that took Gem blades) were likely closer to a straight razor than the later double edge in shaving experience. For whatever reason the single edge razor gradually lost favor to where today it’s only a small part of the metal safety razor enthusiast community.

By far, the most razor enthusiasts today use the Gillette type double edge. There are oodles of brands of double edged blades for sale, and even a reissue of the Gillette Fatboy available.

What Kind Camp Gillette invented and made popular was as easy to use compared to the straight razor and heavy single edge safety razor as a Harry’s razor today is over a double edge.

In the last week my face and myself have adjusted to using Arko shave soap and my 1964 Gillette Slim adjustable razor.

I’ve about quit shaving off bumps and bleeding.

The value of a double edged razor shave is the ritual, the same as our pipes are rituals. It takes skill and practice.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
So far I’ve ordered online 10 Feather’s blades, a bar of Arko soap and a boar’s hair brush, all for $25.

And while getting cat food at the Dollar store they had Daxton blades for a dollar and genuine original Barbasol for $3.

This is fun, and doesn’t cost much.

By the way,,,,,whatever happened to Burma Shave?
Arko soap is the greatest soap ever. And a boars hair brush works the best with arko

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
If you're going to use Arko, I'd recommend smoking the strongest Lakeland you have right beefier shaving. At least then you'll have a pleasant aroma in your nose to offset to Arko.

I bought a no name bristle boar’s hair shaving brush and I’ve put the Arko puck in a coffee cup and I put hot water on the soap and try to work up a lather.

I get a lather, but it’s just a fraction of the luxurious thick foam of Barbasol.

I’ve messed with the adjustments on my razor. I have a non adjustable 1956 Gillette double edge that was my father’s and it shaves very well. The Slim has 9 settings and I seem to like 7 the best.

Double edged razors require much more care, and more strokes, and shaving against the grain, to duplicate a Harry’s fast and effortless, shave in the dark with cold water shave they do in fact provide.

Any day now the stainless steel Gem razor blades I ordered for my heavy, nickel plated 1912 Gem razor will arrive.

With the Gem, the idea is to lay the large flat part on your face and allow the heavy razor to glide off the whiskers.

My Arko bar smells sort of like Gillette Foamy, a medication smell.

I also have an alum bar in the mail.

Is there a secret to getting Arko to turn into thick lather I don’t know?

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I bought a no name bristle boar’s hair shaving brush and I’ve put the Arko puck in a coffee cup and I put hot water on the soap and try to work up a lather.

I get a lather, but it’s just a fraction of the luxurious thick foam of Barbasol.

I’ve messed with the adjustments on my razor. I have a non adjustable 1956 Gillette double edge that was my father’s and it shaves very well. The Slim has 9 settings and I seem to like 7 the best.

Double edged razors require much more care, and more strokes, and shaving against the grain, to duplicate a Harry’s fast and effortless, shave in the dark with cold water shave they do in fact provide.

Any day now the stainless steel Gem razor blades I ordered for my heavy, nickel plated 1912 Gem razor will arrive.

With the Gem, the idea is to lay the large flat part on your face and allow the heavy razor to glide off the whiskers.

Yes. Adjust the amount of water you are using. If it is watery/runny, use less water. Too sticky, use more. A few drops makes a ton of difference. You don’t need much.

Try soaking the boar brush before hand for a minute. Quick squeeze to get the bulk of the water out and then start lathering. You don’t need water on the soap and brush. Or if you do, it’s not a lot. You’ll find your sweet spot. It took me a while.

But a little water goes a long way. And I mean a few drops at a time. Wet your thumb and let the drops fall into the bowl.

I already have a deep “cellar” of 301 blades spanning 18 different brands. I want to try one more (Gillette Nacet) which is not in my sampler so I will get a 100 pack.

So far the sharper blades have worked better for me. I am waiting to try Feather as I am moving up the sharpness ladder. 🪜

Edit: I now have cellared 401 blades since I placed an order for 100 Gillette Nacets after I posted this. Arriving tomorrow.

Last edited:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013

Ok so I just put an order in for another 12 pack of arko sticks as I'm down to maybe 2. The last time I ordered them was about 6 years ago. Now the secret to the shaving stick is you wet the stick, then rub it on your face. Then you take your brush that you've soaked in hot water for about 5 minutes, wrung out with your hand and start brushing your face in small circles and the lather will build. This is probably the soap that lathers the most out of any I've tried. Just watch this video it's what helped me when I first used arko

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Yes. Adjust the amount of water you are using. If it is watery/runny, use less water. Too sticky, use more. A few drops makes a ton of difference. You don’t need much.

Try soaking the boar brush before hand for a minute. Quick squeeze to get the bulk of the water out and then start lathering. You don’t need water on the soap and brush. Or if you do, it’s not a lot. You’ll find your sweet spot. It took me a while.

But a little water goes a long way. And I mean a few drops at a time. Wet your thumb and let the drops fall into the bowl.
I don’t have the stick Arko, I have a puck that came in a circular red box.

I need to get another cup for my puck and then lather it up in the mug.

Thank you!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I don’t have the stick Arko, I have a puck that came in a circular red box.

I need to get another cup for my puck and then lather it up in the mug.

Thank you!
Then it's probably similar to Williams puck soap. Soak it in hot water in any mug for about 2-3 minutes, then circular motion with wet brush for 45 seconds at least. Paint paste onto face, then dip tip of brush into water and build lather on your face. Pucks are frustrating if you don't use them properly. I love them very rich lather.
Also wet puck and push into mug so it stays put in the beginning and let dry before using

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Then it's probably similar to Williams puck soap. Soak it in hot water in any mug for about 2-3 minutes, then circular motion with wet brush for 45 seconds at least. Paint paste onto face, then dip tip of brush into water and build lather on your face. Pucks are frustrating if you don't use them properly. I love them very rich lather.
Also wet puck and push into mug so it stays put in the beginning and let dry before using
I tried it using a little hot water on the puck, and worked the brush until it lathered, applied to my face and kept brushing, and got up a pretty good lather.

I’m still not equaling a can of Barbasol, close but not there yet.

Like anything else involving old ways of shaving it will take practice.

No wonder brushless Burma Shave was such a big seller. It was faster.

Xxxxx
The original Burma-Shave was introduced in 1925 by the Burma-Vita company in Minneapolis, MN. The original product was a liniment (a medicated topical preparation that sometimes was called a heat rub) and having ingredients described as having come “from the Malay Peninsula and Burma”, hence the name.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I got a 100 pack of BIC made in Greece. I have had two shaves. Working beautifully so far.
From what I’ve read about double edged blades, the first ones made from carbon steel might well have been the keenest, when new. But carbon steel is hard to keep from rusting when wet.

Then Gillette coated the carbon steel blade that helped it glide, but those coated blades wore the coating off and actually got keener after a few shaves. And rust was still a problem.

Then Wilkerson Sword developed a stainless blade that helped the rust problem but they weren’t as keen as carbon steel.

After that, the makers began to coat stainless blades, and each one is a bit different in performance.

What no single blade can do, even a straight razor, is have one blade pull out a whisker and the next blade (or blades) cut it off.

And the amount of research and development used to make the latest five blade cartridge means they are going to be comfortable and quick to use, for about $2 a blade.

Likewise modern gel shave creams soften whiskers and protect skin to the maximum amount industrial science can do it.

But that’s too easy, for a good morning ritual.:)

When my Gem blades come, I’ll be eager to try those.

Reactions: JOHN72 and cshubhra

Dave760

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
I've about quit shaving off bumps and bleeding.
My experience with safety razor shaving was that once I stopped using multi a blade razors, I stopped developing bumps on my skin. That's me, though. YMMV.

(My theory: Pulling a hair out and cutting it so it retracts below the skin sounds great. But what happens if the hair then grows but doesn't follow the same path back out? Bumps, methinks.)