PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Contrary to my picture here, I actually really enjoy shaving. Just my lady doesn’t like seeing my without a beard.

In the rare occasions I do, I use a Muhle r41 if I want to go fast or a shavette if I want to take my time with it. Feather blades.

Reactions: JOHN72

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Soak the beard in an abundance of warm water. A good minute at least. Don't skimp on this stage.

Lather up. Soap or cream with a brush is best.

Then using no more than the weight of the razor, shave with the grain.

Then lather up and go against the grain.

Shave slowly, not like the man in any advert on TV.

Should you nick yourself. Cold water is the first place to start. If that fails stick you finger on it for a while. Or use an alum block.

This is most of
my stash.

Thanks for all that advice, I need all the help I can get.

My alum block is on a slow boat from India and should be here any day.:)

But I see you have a 1912 Gem razor, and does yours work as well as your double edge razors with new blades in each?

My Gem doesn’t nick me, but I’d guesstimate I spend twice the time to shave with it as either of my Gillette double edged razors, plus I can hear the Gem cut my whiskers. I have to shave both with and against the grain with the Gem.

If this was a hundred years ago Gillette would have shut down Gem, immediately, if the performance of each was the same as mine today.

My new Gem blades could be industrial box cutter blades for all a I know.

The Pal hollow ground Gem type single edge blades in the mail are for shaving.

Is there a difference?

Reactions: RookieGuy80

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Thanks for all that advice, I need all the help I can get.

My alum block is on a slow boat from India and should be here any day.:)

But I see you have a 1912 Gem razor, and does yours work as well as your double edge razors with new blades in each?

My Gem doesn’t nick me, but I’d guesstimate I spend twice the time to shave with it as either of my Gillette double edged razors, plus I can hear the Gem cut my whiskers. I have to shave both with and against the grain with the Gem.

If this was a hundred years ago Gillette would have shut down Gem, immediately, if the performance of each was the same as mine today.

Is there a difference?
I used 100 of the box cutter blades in error. But I don't see any difference now that I have the proper ones.

Mine isn't a Gem but an Ever Ready. But otherwise it's the same thing. Like you said there is a cutting noise when shaving. Quite satisfying.

I find the single edge a little more fierce than the double edge. But my adjustable is on setting 1.

I don't see much difference really otherwise between SE and DE. One pass gets most off. A second pass against the grain (must re-lather) finishes it off nicely.

Never forget warm water first.
No pressure when shaving. Resist the urge to press down.
Rules I regularly break causing hair tugging and blood.

Oh, one other thing. Again from bitter experience.

If you get used to the Gem. And then switch back to DE. Remember that the other side of the blade is #@&= sharp.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I used 100 of the box cutter blades in error. But I don't see any difference now that I have the proper ones.

Mine isn't a Gem but an Ever Ready. But otherwise it's the same thing. Like you said there is a cutting noise when shaving. Quite satisfying.

I find the single edge a little more fierce than the double edge. But my adjustable is on setting 1.

I don't see much difference really otherwise between SE and DE. One pass gets most off. A second pass against the grain (must re-lather) finishes it off nicely.

Never forget warm water first.
No pressure when shaving. Resist the urge to press down.
Rules I regularly break causing hair tugging and blood.

Oh, one other thing. Again from bitter experience.

If you get used to the Gem. And then switch back to DE. Remember that the other side of the blade is #@&= sharp.

One undeniable difference.

The Gem blades were thick and study enough to become the standard box cutter blade.

The double edged blades were thin enough half of one is now the standard replaceable barber’s straight razor blade.

And the wispy little blade on the Bic made it standard issue in prisons.:)

As I understand it the Gem and the Ever Ready came first and used sharpenable and stroppable single edged blades and the later double edge was thin and cheap enough to just throw away.

Of course the Bic was made to toss the entire razor away.

They got more advanced with each development.

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I do have some sort of device that strops DE blades. I have never used it, and last time I looked I wasn't convinced the blades were the same size as normal de blades.

Will post a photo or video.

Reactions: Briar Lee

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
[Snip]

Is there a difference?
Huge differencebetween utility blades (for box cutters or rugs) and shaving blades. Shaving blades work as you'd expect and utility blades cut your face up. I bet the next mortgage check you got one of the industrial blades. You *should* see a difference in the shaving blades (with the standard YMMV boilerplate disclaimer).

I have the same razor. Well, mine is an Everready. Someone stole someone else's patent. I ran into the exact same thing, the first blades I found were box cutter blades. Once I fixed that, my shaves got so much better. There's still a metric crap ton of "audible feedback", you'll still hear that blade cutting each hair. It won't get much better at all. But the shaves will become smooth and enjoyable again. It's up to you whether the sound will be too much.

Eta: My shaves do take a touch longer with the Gem. But marginally, not enough really to notice. It takes longer the way a churchwarden smokes cooler.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Today I was able to load a hollow ground single edged Pal blade in my 1912 Gem razor and I put hot towels on my face and lathered up with Arko and shaved once with the grain, then lathered up and shaved against the grain. It still made the same scratchy noise. I think the shave might have been a little closer with the new blade, but I nicked myself.

My new alum bar was in, so I wet the alum bar and rubbed it on the nick, and all over where I shaved, and it seemed refreshing.

Then if went to the young barber in town who’s only about sixty.

I noticed he had a straight razor, and I asked about it and it was the kind with replaceable blades. He said he only used it on old men who wanted him to shave around their ears.

He showed me a standard Gillette double edged he had to shave people, he said he’d not used in years.

I asked what he shaved at home with and he recommended a disposal Sensitive Bic. They are only 50 cents each.

IMG_5562.jpeg

They taught him how to use a straight razor to shave clients in barber school, but his instructors said the disposable Bic gave the closest and easiest shaves possible.

Let’s see how a single edged Bic shaves, when they get in.

Last edited:

DesertDan

Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
I've been shaving with a DE razor for a long time (before it was "cool" :)).
I primarily use Astra Platinum's but will use Feather and Shark from time to time.
I have a large collection of different shave soaps and creams and a number of brushes.
However, I only have 1 razor a 60's Gillette Super Speed. I have occasionally thought of adding another, but I just haven't felt that the Super Speed lacked anything that I need a razor to do.

"Traditional" shaving may not be for everyone, but I recommend to anyone looking for a better shave that they try a good quality shaving soap and brush. It takes a little getting used to but even using a modern multi-blade razor one will get a better shave with much less irritation. Unlike the typical canned shave foams, quality shave soap is good for your skin.

Cheers!

Jbrewer2002

Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I've been shaving with a DE razor for a long time (before it was "cool" :)).
I primarily use Astra Platinum's but will use Feather and Shark from time to time.
I have a large collection of different shave soaps and creams and a number of brushes.
However, I only have 1 razor a 60's Gillette Super Speed. I have occasionally thought of adding another, but I just haven't felt that the Super Speed lacked anything that I need a razor to do.

"Traditional" shaving may not be for everyone, but I recommend to anyone looking for a better shave that they try a good quality shaving soap and brush. It takes a little getting used to but even using a modern multi-blade razor one will get a better shave with much less irritation. Unlike the typical canned shave foams, quality shave soap is good for your skin.

Cheers!
What are some of your recommended soaps?

DesertDan

Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
I have more Phoenix Artisans and Stirling soaps than any other and highly recommend them, but there are many good soaps out there nowadays. Mama Bears soaps are quite good especially their glycerin and essential oils-based soap (I really like their Lime soap) Hub City has some nice stuff as does Barrister & Mann and of course Taylor of Old Bond Street, I particularly like their Grapefruit soap.
I actually use Proraso Green quite often, especially in summer using cold water.

Model 29

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
pennsylvania
it was all I ever used as a teen,as there was nothing else excepting straight razors. When double edge came out around 1973 I threw the double edge away and never looked back. Nowadays. after scraping my face all my life, I`ve given up shaving

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Soaps vs creams. Each has their characteristics. Can't say I have a preference.
Currently using Arko soap squashed into a mug. Lasts forever. And sometimes Proraso cream (not the eucalyptus one) every now and again.

My favourite cream was Ingram. But they don't make that anymore.

Some soaps and creams are way overpriced in my opinion.

For brushes I used a badger brush for years, then bought a synthetic brush.
Personally I prefer the badger, despite losing hairs. The synthetic needs to be used much drier. Shake and squeeze the water out. And still the water runs down my arm which really irritates me. The old badger didn't really do that.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My single edged Bic razors came and I’ve used them a few days.

Not the closest shave, but close enough and if you want the safest safety razor the Bic is it!

It is exactly the same gadget as a 1912 Gem razor with modern product engineering.

It’s the most comfortable, easy shave I’ve ever had.

But I like close shaves, and the Bic has safety engineering to prevent too close shaves.

Worth fifty cents to try, though.;)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My Feather blades came and I tried them.

Think the sharpest blade you can imagine and then imagine something twice that sharp.:)

That was by far the closest shave I’ve ever had, but it burned. I used my alum bar and it felt better.

There is a reason whoever invented Harry’s razor blades are billionaires.:)

Modern plastic cartridge blades don’t shave as close as Feather blades, but you don’t need an alum bar to use them, either.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Yeah, for me Feathers don’t give an enjoyable shave. Many love them but other brands work better for me. Still worth trying them for yourself, it’s the only way to know.

You may find that subsequent shaves are more agreeable.

What a coincidence: I used Feathers for the first time yesterday: When it started it was beautiful like someone tickling my cheeks. What a nice feeling.

However it lost sharpness at the end,
but was still good.

I am still trying blades, and I have others which have an average sharpness higher than Feather 🪶. Having said that, the WTG shave with the Feather out of the pack was sublime.

So far a mild razor (Merkur 34C) is working for me well with a sharp/aggressive blade.

Some of the sharpest blades I have found (Other than Feather)

BIC Chrome Platinum
Gillette Nacet
Gillette Perma Sharp