Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Might Stick Around
I have a couple of deep bowl pipes, and they "gurgle" with lots of unburned tobacco and slag at the bottom.
This doesn't happen with my smaller bowl pipes. I'm new to the deep bowls, and have a Peterson Heritage fishtail style that is especially noisy. I'm thinking smoking a half pipe? Am I packing too tight? Tobacco too moist?

I use the "three fill method" and tamp . . . some gurgling quiets down after a tamp, but comes back. Doesn't seem to matter if I use a filter or not.

It's driving me nuts. Need an experienced hand to give me some help on this one. The Peterson is especially excellent at delivering the full taste of the tobacco, and it's sure a nice change from my smaller bowl McQueen Churchwardens that I started my pipe smoking Renaissance with.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Happens. Well, to me, at least. In the Peterson too more than others, but, it seems to happen often in winter months, hasn't happened for a while. Seasonal variation, relative humidity etc.

Well that was a great help, wasn't it. Others will have proactive advice I'm sure.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Not a fan of the three part pack. I use a continuous pack using one finger to bring tobacco to the chamber in one motion. Hard to describe. I also ream my tobacco air inlets wider than provided. About 4.5 mm or 11/64 and the stem about 3.5mm or 9/64.

You might try these articles

Reactions: briarblues and gord
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have a couple of deep bowl pipes, and they "gurgle" with lots of unburned tobacco and slag at the bottom.
This doesn't happen with my smaller bowl pipes. I'm new to the deep bowls, and have a Peterson Heritage fishtail style that is especially noisy. I'm thinking smoking a half pipe? Am I packing too tight? Tobacco too moist?

I use the "three fill method" and tamp . . . some gurgling quiets down after a tamp, but comes back. Doesn't seem to matter if I use a filter or not.

It's driving me nuts. Need an experienced hand to give me some help on this one. The Peterson is especially excellent at delivering the full taste of the tobacco, and it's sure a nice change from my smaller bowl McQueen Churchwardens that I started my pipe smoking Renaissance with.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
That's why I hardly ever smoke my deeper pipes. Perhaps some day I'll master smoking them, and I'll be happy I never got rid of them, but for now the shallower 1" - 1.25" deep pipes are just easier to deal with. puffy

Last edited:

gord

Might Stick Around
Not a fan of the three part pack. I use a continuous pack using one finger to bring tobacco to the chamber in one motion. Hard to describe. I also ream my tobacco air inlets wider than provided. About 4.5 mm or 11/64 and the stem about 3.5mm or 9/64.

You might try these articles

Thanks. I'll watch and read tonight. Appreciated.

Reactions: LeafErikson

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
You might want to try meerschaum chips or Nording Keystones

We have had a week of rain here, with more to come, so little chance of drying tobacco under the sun.
Smoked two bowls to ash yesterday with no relights, with a small handful of meer chips at the bottom of the bowl and packing looser than usual.

gord

Might Stick Around
Packing looser, smoking slower and drying your tobacco more can help. If that’s not enough a mid-smoke pipe cleaner will help.

Some pipes are just wetter smokers than others, bents more than straights.
If I slowed down, it'd go out all of the time . . . . I'm a very slow smoker. However, that mid-smoke pipe cleaner is an idea to try. Thanks for the input.

gord

Might Stick Around
Is the stem chamfered at the tenon? This Pete I just got wasn’t, so I took care of that.
As received-Loose pack of pretty dry Irish Flake Thursday was wet and gurgly:View attachment 307897

After 60* chamfer today-a rather tightish pack of GLP Windjammer was gurgle free:
View attachment 307899

Same environmetal and smoking conditions (breezy, hot, clenched, and sipping faster than I should)
That kind of thing (repairs and crafting stuff) is not in my repertoire . . . but I do have some handy friends if some of the other ideas don't work. Thanks.