PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gimlet

It's not a complex blend and is an easy going blend. Just my opinion, it's underrated. I will say that it is ok fresh but ages very well. A couple of weeks in the jar for me and it's ready to go. After that it just keeps getting better. I buy pounds of the stuff when it's on sale. Are you able to get it in England?
Never seen it.

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
The whole "if you had to choose just 1" question is bizarre to me. With the amount of tobacco that many of us on here have, and considering there are quite a few that never have to buy any tobacco ever again, kinda negates the possibility of ever having to choose just 1 to smoke for the rest of your life. It's such a wild fantasy scenario, like what would be the 1st 10 things I'd buy if I hit Powerball? It's fun to think about, but we all know it'll never happen. But in this case, it's not even fun to think about only smoking 1 tobacco the rest of our lives lol!

BUT....I'll still play along. If I HAD to choose only 1 going forward, (and acquiring was not an issue) then I'd have to go with ABF. If we are going along with current availability of things, since ABF is tough to come by, then I would go with Mac Baren Plumcake. I don't smoke it all that much, but I could easily smoke that all day, everyday...IF I had to.

Maybe a more realistic question might be, what would be the 1 blend you would stock up the most on...I mean to the point you start dipping into the rainy day savings account or consider taking out a 2nd mortgage on the house....if you found out that your favorite blend (or blender/brand, a la McClelland or Dunhill) was going to be discontinued tomorrow, and you had the opportunity to stock up with pounds of it? For that scenario, it would be GLP, specifically Quiet Nights and Spark Plug. My reaction to losing GLP would be:

View attachment 268507
If LJ Peretti was going under, I'd load the boat with Blend 333, #8 Slice, Ampersand Flake, and beg them to make 5 lbs of Thanksgiving Day lol

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With the amount of tobacco that many of us on here have, and considering there are quite a few that never have to buy any tobacco ever again, kinda negates the possibility of ever having to choose just 1
Half of my cellar is only three blends. Over time, too many blends in the same genre just don't taste differently enough to bother buying many of them. Were I to start over, I'd have nothing but straight orientals.

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
I'm still grieving the loss of that one. Should've bought up more tubs of it.
I might know where there's a big ol' tub of it. There's a rinky dink cigar shop close to me that had a big tin (idk 1 lb?? maybe) when I stopped in about a month ago. I'll be going by there Monday. If it's still there, I could grab it for ya. I have no idea what the price was.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I might know where there's a big ol' tub of it. There's a rinky dink cigar shop close to me that had a big tin (idk 1 lb?? maybe) when I stopped in about a month ago. I'll be going by there Monday. If it's still there, I could grab it for ya. I have no idea what the price was.
I would love that! Let me know!

Reactions: rsshreck32
G

Gimlet

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake
Yes, I could live with that. Haven't smoked any for a few weeks because the tobacconists I use just happened not to have any, but generally it's one of those staple blends that I always have in store. Always pleasing, any time, anywhere, any pipe.

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
When I saw the title of the thread my first immediate thought was Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Black Cherry. After spending 10 minutes or so pondering the question and looking over all the tobaccos I enjoy smoking in a regular basis, I've concluded that my gut reaction was the right one.

Kendal Black Cherry has pretty much everything I like in a tobacco. It's got a solid medium strength nicotine content, is extremely gentle on the throat and sinuses when retrohaled yet still feels full bodied and satisfying, and in the flavor department it's a bit natural sweet cherry aromatic, a bit floral Lakeland'y, and has a quality tobacco base that shines through with the occasional nutty chocolate Burley note here and there.

I know could smoke it all the time every day, because I do smoke it all the time every day.puffy

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
As I have mentioned Newm 400 has been my favorite for many years and still is. The question posed isn't about what I want if stranded on a desert island which Newm 400 would suffice until rescued. The question instead asks what single tobacco would I smoke for the remainder of my days. In this case my own flue cured bright Virginia leaf pressed into plugs for six weeks then aged 6 months before slicing into flakes for me to enjoy. In this way I could handle production from seed to pipe. Kind of like farm to table.

G

Gimlet

As I have mentioned Newm 400 has been my favorite for many years and still is. The question posed isn't about what I want if stranded on a desert island which Newm 400 would suffice until rescued. The question instead asks what single tobacco would I smoke for the remainder of my days. In this case my own flue cured bright Virginia leaf pressed into plugs for six weeks then aged 6 months before slicing into flakes for me to enjoy. In this way I could handle production from seed to pipe. Kind of like farm to table.
And you could experiment with maturing, pressing and firing to vary the blend. Grow your own. That's the answer.

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
Speaking only for myself, sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't be happier if I just smoked one thing all the time. I just can't seem to actually make myself do it though.

If I had to, then I'm sure I could be quite content with Rattray 40 Virginia, Old Dark Fired, Orlik Golden Sliced, or Dark Bird's Eye. If I'm honest, at least half the time I fire up something else for the sake of variety, I end up wishing I'd stuck with one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.