PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
@Butter Side Down I hear ya. Im in the midst of trying to zone in on one or two blends from each genre. An English and a lat flake, a couple if vapers, a couple of burley blends amd maybe two or three in the miscellaneous category.

Tobacco is kind of like cheese here in France. There are a couple hundred types easily but really many are variations on a theme. Yes, they are different but not so different at the same time.

It boils down to how complicated you want to be.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
And you could experiment with maturing, pressing and firing to vary the blend. Grow your own. That's the answer.
Yes I enjoy doing this very much. I have a pretty easy setup for the flue curing of raw leaf using a wooden box with holes to simulate a smith barn, lizard ceramic heater bulbs, temp probes, and a low power pancake fan for circulation to keep humidity in the vicinity low. Dry bulb wet bulb temps according to the docs I read would indicate keeping the heat a drier heat as the temp goes up so the fan helps. At the top end the humidity would be less than 20 percent. Mid range temps at the 45 percent range and the low end at a around 60 65 percent. I don't know the humidity level at the leaf but it seems to work for me using this method.

i stove with a similar setup. Just without a fan or holes in the box. And I use a metal steam pan to keep the leaves in during heating and cooling so they don't dry out too much.

a simplex railroad screw jack and wooden press completes the setup.

i do a lot of experimenting so yeah it's a lifelong pursuit with one tobacco.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I dunno, maybe St Bruno?

It's not something I smoke often, but it's got Virginia flavors, dark-fired for a little oomph, and some added flavorings to make it even more tasty and distinctive.

I've got dozens of blends in the cellar yet to try, so my answer may change. :ROFLMAO:

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
A few years back during my YT days, myself, and multiple others tried the "Codger Challenge," in which we would smoke one tobacco for an entire month or for as long as we could before throwing in the towel. I don't recall what blend I smoked for it, but it was one that I regularly enjoyed. I think Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme, but I could be wrong. What I found out after the 30 days; is that it's very difficult to smoke only one tobacco with such variety out there. If I was forced to only smoke one tobacco, I'd be disappointed and probably wouldn't smoke that often, so that I wouldn't tire of the tobacco.

However, if I was stranded on that so called deserted island as they say, and unfortunately left with only one tobacco, again it would be unfortunate, but I guess I would go with Esoterica Margate.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

Redtech

Lurker
Mar 20, 2023
As others have said, I would most likely smoke less, but Pegasus could keep me happy for quite a while.

Reactions: RonB

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
Well I’m fairly new so y’all may think this is crazy.

Gawith Squadron Leader.

It STINKS to high heaven and my wife really, really hates it, BUT the taste is like a drug to me and I can’t wait for the next bowl of it. I say it stinks and I guess it does, but it’s kind of a good stink, lol.
I’m in your camp with SG products but mine would be 1792 Flake…. That is an all day, everyday long baccy

Reactions: RonB

Durhamshire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2024
UK
I too would say 1792 Flake. Other contenders G&H Dark Plug Rum & Condor Long Cut or Bar are no longer available in UK.

Typing this at work cos bored. Why do weeks with a Bank Holiday in them; seem longer?? Or is it just Me??

Status
Not open for further replies.