PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

viktor

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2024
Ontario, Canada
I mentioned growing tobacco at home and some people expressed interest. So let's get prepared. I'm in Southern Ontario (GTA area). There's no frost here from mid May on, let's assume that. I'll plant the tobacco seeds three month beforehand, in mid Feb. This will be my second year. I get my seeds from here: Elena's Organic Garden - https://www.elenasgarden.ca/index.php?route=common/home (no affiliation). Last year I planted AZTEC WILD, for this one I have VIRGINIA GOLD and CANADIAN VIRGINIA seeds.

Any takers to go along with me?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Just out of curiosity, what do you need for drying and preparing tobacco. Does it end up woth the bother? I do have places to grow and a basement that is dry. No barns pr sheds. I suppose you can grow your own deer tongue too if you want it. I have not had any so Im not sure what it tastes like.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbfrady
My wife put her foot down after I grew half an acre a few years ago. I started off growing just a single raised bed with tobaccos, and then I grew some on some in my NC field, half an acre, ha ha. Now, I have a lifetime of tobaccos, raising my cellar to 400lbs. It was a LOT of work. I have a small flu shed that I was curing Virginias, but I will tear that down soon, and the wasps have just taken it over.

Have fun! And, be patient. The tobacco is way better if you can put it back for a few years first.

viktor

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2024
Ontario, Canada
Just out of curiosity, what do you need for drying and preparing tobacco. Does it end up woth the bother? I do have places to grow and a basement that is dry. No barns pr sheds. I suppose you can grow your own deer tongue too if you want it. I have not had any so Im not sure what it tastes like.
I grew it in the backyard in flower beds and bags. Drying is not a problem. Initially I hanged the bundles of leaves (secured with rubber bands on the top) in the garage, then moved them to the basement closer to winter. Speed curing is still a grey area to me but I read that if left alone the leaves will be good for smoking in 9-12 months. Well, I'm smoking them now, tastes ... different :)

Is it a bother? Not in my case, it's a hobby for me.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I've been very interested in growing my own for several years. I've made space on my property and have been letting the pigs & chickens root up the dirt around where I intend to plant tobacco. I'm going to try my hand with Kelley Burley, TN86 Burley, TN 90 Burley, Shirey Virginia & Virginia Gold plants. I ordered my seeds from Victory Seed Company in Texas.

I live SW of Cleveland, OH about 28 miles south of Lake Erie in a Zone 6A planting region. Last frost day around here is generally between April 30th - May 27th. I usually plant around the middle of May as the 10th we see about a 50/50 chance of another frost.

Once harvest time comes, I plan on tying into hands and air curing in my barn. We'll see what happens.

I'll plan on obtaining some processing equipment closer to Memorial Day.

Any tips or advice on planting & growing tobacco or processing equipment & methods is greatly appreciated.

Just some unsolicited tips... brightleaf has better flavor when grown in terrible soil, think about adding a lot of plain sand to the soil, but fertilize strategically... there are schedules for when and how much to fertilize, and you have to be spot on to pull out the most sugars.
Orientals do way better when left to grow in terrible soils also, but don't fertilize them. They will look stunted, but that is when you will get the best flavors. Rocky, sandy, very little organic matter. These tobaccos mutated when planted in desserts and crappy hillsides with slash and burn agriculture.

Burleys will do best in that well fertilized pig poop soil.

bobomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2023
Colombia
roberthunt.com
I just got my Virginia Gold seeds the other day. I'm heading back to Colombia in a few days and will start to germinate them in the next week or two. We have some land down there with a small barn on the property so I'll probably air cure it. We're at moderate altitude in the Andes, so it's a perpetual spring time where we are. Never gets too hot or too cold. I think the temps should be perfect for it. Maybe take a few of the leaves and sun dry to see how that turns out. We have coffee, beans, yucca, jalapenos, and various exotic flowers, so the tobacco should fit right in. Stuff down there tends to grow pretty fast, so I'm going to start off with a small tract and build it up if I need more. We'll see.

Primary use is for pipe smoking but I'm going to try to make some "senoritas", small cigars and see how that works out.

Virginia Gold is a good start, but it is so available commercially that next year you may want top try an heirloom variety brightleaf for your flu cured variety. I suggest one called Cherry Red. It is very sweet and has a very fruity aroma once you color cure it to a bright red. Very pretty and tasty.

Edit, it also is a tasty smoke if you merely air cure it also. But, it isn't nearly as dynamic that way.