PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You'll have better results starting your own seeds in a flat, kept warm and protected, watered and fed properly. Then read up on how to harden the plants before setting in soil.

Yeah, it's easier to put in starter plants, but more expensive, fewer options, possibly less disease resistant.

viktor

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2024
Ontario, Canada
I am one who isn't interested in joining you. Sounds way too much like work!!
Right decision, if no motivation it's not worth it and likely it won't work.

My motivation was my father who started growing tobacco in the late eighties back in Ukraine (pre soviet union breakup) when cigarettes suddenly became scarce. For many years from then on he had frequent visitors from the neighbourhood asking him to make them a rollie, he would make two and they would sit an smoke and talk. Also my mom used to put the leaves in wardrobes to repel the moths :) Not sure that worked.

So my motivation was a tribute to him. But of course having your own tobacco for almost free is a good one too.

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
I tried growing tobacco last summer.
Frost killed most of my plants and summer vacation (not able to water them enough) killed the rest.
Also building a kiln would be one one challenge.
I think I am not going to try this summer to grow tobacco.

Reactions: Tate

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I tried growing tobacco last summer.
Frost killed most of my plants and summer vacation (not able to water them enough) killed the rest.
Also building a kiln would be one one challenge.
I think I am not going to try this summer to grow tobacco.
How do tomatoes fare in your part of Finland? If your neighbors have an easy time of producing luscious fruit it's a good sign tobacco is pretty easy. I rather doubt that's the case in any part of your great country,

Reactions: Bbailey324 and Tate

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
How do tomatoes fare in your part of Finland? If your neighbors have an easy time of producing luscious fruit it's a good sign tobacco is pretty easy. I rather doubt that's the case in any part of your great country,
Tomatoes can only be grown in greenhouses. I have grown chilies in my balcony.

Reactions: Tate

viktor

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2024
Ontario, Canada
Last year I planted tobacco in different places around my backyard just to see how they'd do.

In my experience there's no point of growing tobacco plants in pots, the smaller the pot the less the point. Plants in pots didn't grow tall and produced small leaves (which were still good for smoking but wouldn't last long).

5 gallon planting bags performed much better, the only problem you need to water them frequently due to evaporation through the bag sides, maybe that's why the plants did't do too well.

The best plants grew in flower beds. When I dig them up at the end of the season the roots of the plants were all over the bed. So I guess that the secret of growing large plants with large leaves is to give them space for the roots.

Lastly I tried to plant directly into the ground but given the soil here is quite compressed the plants were comparable to those in small pots.

Please feel free to tell me where I did wrong. Need some improvements this year :)

Reactions: Kobold and Tate

viktor

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2024
Ontario, Canada
@viktor

Talk with neighbor or anyone in your locale who produces good tomatoes. Follow what they do!
I did grow tomatoes for the last couple of years (not anymore, I hate tomato taste by now :)). I should say tobacco although a relative is a different beast when it comes to growing, Last year I just let tomato plants go wild and still got a good harvest. Another point is breaking suckers: tomato forgives you, tobacco doesn't. Also tomatoes did great in pots, tobacco not so.

Anyway, thanks for your advice and support, I appreciate it!