SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
I have 20 really nice looking burley plants started. At this point, my internet research has me worried about fermentation, some sources say it's all but mandatory, while others don't even mention it.
I’ve not found fermentation to be necessary for pipe tobacco. However, it become much less harsh if you just set it back for a year or two after curring.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I would grow my own, and living in eastern NC on what used to be a tobacco farm, I have some of the best growing conditions for tobacco. Fortunately I know the farmers in my area and if I ask they will give me tobacco right out of the curing barn.
That’s awesome fur coat. The smell of those barns in August is so good when they have the heaters on and that leaf curing.

Do you store it or use it right away?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
That’s awesome fur coat. The smell of those barns in August is so good when they have the heaters on and that leaf curing.

Do you store it or use it right away?
I had some stored but I've smoked it over the years. I find the nicotine content to be on the high end which is to my liking. It's been a few years since Ed grew tobacco in the fields around my house. Should be coming into rotation soon and I'll be able to get some more. I was hoping for this year but there is hay in the field across the street which is usually backed up with soy beans. The fields behind me have not been plowed yet so there is hope.20210802_185038.jpg