Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I saw this at the local resale shop and got it for Halloween. It's real wool and fits me good. The best part is it only cost $2. It's actually a woman's, and is purple, but I like purple and its warm. I've decided to make it my smoking jacket because my dad's studio where I smoke is cold, and it will keep the smoke off my clothes which means my mom will hopefully bitch at me less. If I had the money I'd get a real english smoking. So, what do you guys think of it? Do any of you have a smoking jacket?

335450_289374151083920_100000340116388_1064121_2087804078_o.jpg

Jul 15, 2011
Been looking to get a smoking jacket for the longest time but dont know where the hell to find one thats not a totally outrageous price. That purple one aint half bad. Now all you need is a deerstalker(sp?) cap and youll like just like Mr. Holmes!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I suppose I have to photograph mine now.

I never wear it. (It doesn't fit. It belonged to my Grandfather.)

But, it is ooooooh sooooo coooool.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Ok here is "GP's" (short for Gram-Pa) smoking jacket.

This is the first time it has been removed from its storage box in about 20 years.

It is white silk with "real" gold thread embroidery and black velvet collar, cuffs, and on the breast pocket.

It also has a black and white silk rope belt with tassels.

The scene is a typical "garden" depiction of a home, Japanese bridge and trees.

I hope you guys like it.

I apologize for the quality of the photos, had to use my cellphone.
GPsSmokingJacketFull.jpg

GPsSmokingJacketDetail.jpg

Edit: I have no idea of the a real monetary value (It weighs about 1-1/2 pounds, probably close to 6 oz. of 24 Kt. gold ), other than that it's priceless to me.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Gold is currently at about $1700 an ounce. I should know the exact amount since I work for a jeweler... but I'm busy doing other things. But from that alone looks like a pricey jacket.
Troy ounces. I think gold is still measured in Troys eh?
Retail is more like $3000-4000ish an ounce lol so uh... yeah... ouch.
Very nice jacket. Too bad it doesn't fit you. Be sure to write that baby into your will. PM Me for my info. :wink:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Hey uber, I swear my wife has that exact coat! She liked my pea coat and got herself a purple one. I don't remember what she paid but it was way more than $2! Good score for a smoking jacket.
Mine is an old suit coat I used to wear on death calls.

Jul 15, 2011
Right now my smoking jacket is a Carrhartt.
I bought a Carhartt a decade ago. I swear to all that is Holy it is the best $95 I ever spent. The past few winters, the wind chill has dropped the temperatures to near -35F. Without that coat, I probably would have frozen to death by now. Thankfully there is something that is still built to last in this world.

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
My smoking jacket right now is a black hoodie from a previous employer. But, it hasn't gotten super cold, yet.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
OK, I was toying on getting a jacket so I am off to ebay. I like the coat idea, but a purpose built on would work too. Lawrence, that is awesome, you shouldn't hide that away!

Status
Not open for further replies.