PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
i just smoke nerkid.... does a great job of keeping my anti-smoking neighbor away...

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I don't wear this everytime I smoke. But my last year at college when I came home for Christmas I forgot my robe, and picked this guy up at Khols for around $20/25. Once I returned to my own place, I had 2 robes....this one became the smoking jacket!
photo-8.jpg

joe912

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2011
Wasilla, Alaska
Here's my winter smoking Parka (It's FRC). The beaverskin hat comes out when it drops to -45 and the wind is blowing. Also, that's my mobile smoking room (looks a lot like a Pete 378)

171237_194692280543410_100000079182286_755910_5354135_o.jpg

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I think smoking jackets are awesome. I get to wear one about 3 days out of the year down here. I had no idea the topic was even controversial.
@ über mine's not a real smoking jacket either it's just a plain suit jacket that's too beat up for working funerals so I retired it and now it's a smoking jacket. Nothing wrong with purple. I have a lavender shirt and purple silk tie that look kick-ass. Purple is also a traditional funeral services color. Some old coaches have purple flashing lights.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I actually got a Kenneth Cole p-coat (similar style but mine's black) for $30. It's amazing the deals you can get on winter jackets at an Outlet Mall here in Vegas in the summer. I saved $270 from the suggested retail price.
Have been asked constantly by my mom and friends when I'm going to get a smoking jacket. Most ask if it will have leather patched elbows lol. Eventually I'll probably get around to getting a jacket.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Undecagon I love that photo. :clap:

It's now part of my "pipe smokers" screen saver.

Hope you don't mind.
Thank you Paul.

Maybe one of these days it'll go under glass.

:puffy:

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Hope you don't mind.
Not at all - just when people ask who that is make up some amazing story about me! Perhaps a man who fights lions in Africa to save children, and returns home with Djembes as gifts?

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Never understood why as it's a pretty ugly color.
Tynian Purple was the colour of royalty due to the cost of manufacturing the dye. Back in the day, purple dye was made by crushing up whelks and exposing the resulting goo to sunlight. A small portion of said goo will slowly change colour as it ferments, eventually turning a deep purple to royal red.

Now, for anyone that doesn't know, whelks are not exactly the largest creatures; in fact, as mollusks go, they tend to be on the extremely small side. With that in mind, simply dying the trim on Ceasars toga would take literally thousands of the critters, all of which have to be harvested, then crushed, separated, and finally mixed into a proper dye, by hand.
Now for the bigger question - why the hell do I know this?

Status
Not open for further replies.