PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Wow Lawrence! That smoking jacket is a real museum piece! You ought to frame it some way for display.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
At work in the winter, I commonly smoke in -50*F ambient

Nowhere near that cold. it really isn't that could out, it's just that it was wArm for a bit and then just dropped

I don't remember what she paid but it was way more than $2! Good score for a smoking jacket.

its made by Forcaster of Boston. and technically it isn't a smoking jacket. I just use it as such

logandow

Jul 29, 2011
Oregon
here's the coat that I use. I don't have a good quality camera sorry. there's a pocket for a case of fags on the left arm.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Might be the hillbilly in me but I have never understood the purpose or need for a smoking jacket! Now if you're smoking in the cold,I can understand a coat etc. But why wear one inside where it's nice and warm,even if you're sitting in a comfortable chair in front of the fire or reading a good book?

francois1

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2011
wish i had kept my old army bush jacket would have been ideal

warm in winter and still fine in the heat with nice sized pockets

david

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
IIRC from some long forgotten article I read, the smoking jacket was originally a means to keep the smell of the tobacco smoke from permeating ones clothing.
I could be wrong of course!! (-;

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
You got it OTD!
I can see the reasoning behind it. If I'm wearing clothes that I don't want to smell like smoke and I don't have time or want to change then a jacket is in order. Makes perfect sense to me!
Especially now when ppl smell smoke on your clothes they immediately peg you as a walking cancer lump and shun you to the outskirts of Tim Buck Two!

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
My smoking jacket is USCG approved.

smokingjacket.jpg

The yellow name tag says "JERK".

They made it specially for me! :rofl:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I look at it more along the lines of extending a curtesy to others who you may be in the company of after you've smoked your pipe. If you are good friends with someone who is bothered by smoke then maybe you want to LESSEN their exposure to the aftermath then covering yourself with something to take the brunt of the smell seems easier than other options.
This goes for wives as well.
I used to have a smoking jacket for when I smoked cigs when I wasn't supposed to. Worked wonders.
And if you don't give a flying frying pan what you smell like to other people then the idea of wearing something over your normal clothes is moot.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I am sorry, but I just find wearing special clothing to smoke a pipe is just, I don't know, stupid!!!
Irony: I agreed with this sentiment fully until this morning when I managed to sneeze into a bowl, sending burning bits of leaf flying, only to leave a pattern of burnt speckles on the lapels of my wool-suit jacket and silk tie with but minutes before my first meeting of the day (which just happens to be with a tailor). Suddenly, I am thinking a trip to the local Value Village to peruse the racks for some smoking wear doesn't seem so crazy.
I should note that I tend to wear a plaid zip-up fleece lined hoody when smoking in the cooler weather, but thats more due to my being a pansy when the temps hit the single digits and wanting to keep warm than to keep the aroma of tobacco off of my clothes. As my wife notes, my closet smells like a tobacconists anyway (my stash and pipes live in there)...

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
The smoking jacket is an old tradition and I see nothing wrong with it although I don't bother with one myself. Nothing at all wrong with a bit of tradition, I say. After all, our pipe smoking itself is considered a bit of old-fashioned tradition by many people.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Yes yes... tradition.
That's the line I will use when they attack me for wearing my Smoking Bunny Slippers too! :twisted:

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Hey; I think you might be onto something Spartan - are you talking bunny slippers for smoking, or "smoking bunny" slippers - because if its the latter, I could envision a market for 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.