PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
20240331_061629.jpg
This stuff is new to me. It's pretty good actually. It's very complex and dry, the perique peeks in and out. It's unique in that it doesn't have Virginias in it. The plum-like perique help make up for it some. Also, has some darkfired, although it isn't very noticeable, probably just for added body and strength. Lots of Orientals and Latakia.

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
20240402_111220.jpg
Here's another new one for me. I have to say I prefer Margate over Pembroke. It's got a different topping on it than the former. The traditional plum/apricot house style of Germain's isn't here on this one, however it does have a nice cognac/ slight anise thing going on. Sometimes the cognac can be a little overbearing at times. The tobaccos are absolutely top notch. Over all, it's still a really nice blend and I do believe the tobacco base is the same as Margate. Some may prefer this one to it, it is really smooth and velvety in the same way Margate is, but a completely different smoke due to the case/toppings.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Opened my last tin of A&C Petersen Caledonian Virginia Flake from 2002, a mild but delicious straight Virginia long out of production.
Open_A&CPetersen_CaledonianFlake1.jpg

Open_A&CPetersen_CaledonianFlake2.jpg

Open_A&CPetersen_CaledonianFlake3.jpg

Open_A&CPetersen_CaledonianFlake4.jpg

I definitely agree with Pipestud's review from tobaccoreviews.com:
"A very nice and gentle Virginia flake that has a little strength and a lot of flavor.

I have friends who smoke multiple bowls a day and have said that light Virginia leaf is their favorite because their palate does not get overwhelmed and their tongue remains intact. I think this is a perfect tobacco for them. I don't think I've ever tasted a light Virginia Flake that was loaded up with some much flavor.

Still, it is class weed and the tin art is wonderful."

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Reactions: BenMN and jbfrady

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Took an anniversary trip to Birmingham. My wife and I each picked a tin to open.

Her choice: A peachy aromatic Rockwell, which, by the cut I'm assuming is Sutliff.

View attachment 301501
View attachment 301502

My choice: Dan's Unpronouncible Virginia Slices.

View attachment 301504
View attachment 301505
Apparently it translates to thunder shield pipe tobacco.

Pronunciation here: