SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
Am I the only one who finds this irksome? Well, I know I am not but let me rant on... you know when for example you introduce yourself as Robert and the person says "nice to meet you Rob". In this situation I chalk it up to laziness or poor listening but their are these other people who keep on calling you Rob despite you correcting them on occasion. What's that about? I find it to be intentionally insulting. If a person can't get my name right under such a circumstance I will stop trying to have a conversation with them unless it's somehow unavoidable.

-Not Robert or Rob

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You've corrected them and they ignored the correction. If you are subordinate, grin and bear it. If in a social or business arena, I'd terminate the conversion and ignore them. If they are intentionally pulling my chain? I might get sarcastic simply for the sheer enjoyment of the situation.

I was taught that the only thing you can take out of this life is your own good name. So, like you, I can get a bit testy when a gentle correction goes unnoticed or, even knowingly ignored.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
It annoys me.
My name is Kristian with a "K". Not Kris.

What annoys me the most is when people email me. They have to spell my name correctly in order to email me as my name is part of my email address in work. Then they write "Dear Christian"

Or worse still "Dear Kristen".... Have I suddenly changed sex between email address and greeting?

Grrrr.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Am I the only one who finds this irksome? Well, I know I am not but let me rant on... you know when for example you introduce yourself as Robert and the person says "nice to meet you Rob". In this situation I chalk it up to laziness or poor listening but their are these other people who keep on calling you Rob despite you correcting them on occasion. What's that about? I find it to be intentionally insulting. If a person can't get my name right under such a circumstance I will stop trying to have a conversation with them unless it's somehow unavoidable.

-Not Robert or Rob
nope I am the same guy who had a boss that thought my name was Jack and I rolled with it for three months. Honestly I kind of liked it. The closest I get is people used to always add an s on the end of my last name. Oh and no one has ever called me Robert that is my Government paper work name, except my mom. I've been a Bob always but she still calls me Robert and no one else ever has. I kind of hate that a bit. But that has more to do with the fact that she's a horrible person.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Unless it's your boss, the boss never calls you by name, he's such an asshole, he just communicates with a finger to the ceiling, with a smoky bacon face. My God, this crappy translator is creating a serious depression for me. You're right, they should call you by your full name, unless I'm dumb or deafer than a nuclear submarine cover. For example, my name is john in the forum, but my wife calls me juan. But I like John better, as John Rambo. This is not going to end well. I knew ashdigger, he loves charred pizzas, that's for sure.

Last edited:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Unless it's your boss, the boss never calls you by name, he's such an asshole, he just communicates with a finger to the ceiling, with a smoky bacon face. My God, this crappy translator is creating a serious depression for me. You're right, they should call you by your full name, unless I'm dumb or deafer than a nuclear submarine cover. For example, my name is john in the forum, but my wife calls me juan. But I like John better, as John Rambo. This is not going to end well. I knew ashdigger, he loves charred pizzas, that's for sure.
One Rambo or Two Mombo?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I remember a first year Spanish teacher asking me what I would be called if I was in Mexico. I told her that I didn't know names changed when crossing the border. My name, acceding to the variations in from different pronunciations of letters. As an example, in Russia my name was pronounce something close to "Ou oran." that's as close as a Russian tongue could get in most circumstances.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I remember a first year Spanish teacher asking me what I would be called if I was in Mexico. I told her that I didn't know names changed when crossing the border. My name, acceding to the variations in from different pronunciations of letters. As an example, in Russia my name was pronounce something close to "Ou oran." that's as close as a Russian tongue could get in most circumstances.
Warren. My mother, to make fun of me for a while, called me Juanita Banana. How can a mother call her own child that.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I think you should refer to someone by the name they introduced themselves to you as, at least until/if you become closer friends. For me, I have an Italian name "Dante", and what has irked me sometimes was people asking me if I go by "Don" or "Dan" (as if to say 'surely you don't actually go by that name'). There is no short version of the name, and those are short for Donald and Daniel. In fact "Dante" is a shortened version of the old Italian name "Durante".

Last edited:

GetOffMyLawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2022
West river side Montana
My fathers name is William, he was called Bill, Billy, Will and Willy growing up and hated it. So he named all three of us kids with names you supposedly couldn't shorten. My name is Randy on my driver license and Birth certificate and i have constantly had to inform people my name was not Randal or Randolph. Some of these included Teachers and one very annoying soon to be in-law who argued with my mother and grandmother about it for a hour on my wedding day.

My favorite was a boss who went by Mo. Only his sister and mother were allowed to call him Maurice and this was well known in the office. On more than one occasion he would pass by my desk and say hello Randal i tried correcting him multiple times to no avail. So one day i replied Hello Maurice. He stopped and turned around and said excuse me and stared at me. I simply said My birth certificate says Randy what does yours say. He paused for a minute said have a good day Randy and never called me Randal again and i even got a invatation to golf on our company golf team.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
For some, it is simply that they don’t listen. But for others, it is clear that their insistence on calling you by the shortened name even though you have introduced yourself as something else on numerous occasions is them just being a control freak. I finally fixed that situation with the following.

My friends call me Douglas, but you can call me Doug.

It has worked without fail.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta

-Not Robert or Rob
Ok Jimmy, calm down.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
If it’s unintentional I probably wouldn’t get too upset although it would certainly be irksome. If they’re just being an asshole I would respond appropriately by calling them something randomly annoying each and every time I addressed them or referred to them. Every. Single. Time.

What could they possibly say except, “I get it now, I’m sorry.” Mission accomplished.

Yeh, I used to always introduce myself as Michael, and inevitably they call me Mike. I’m not a Mike, so yeh, it bothers me.
If someone else introduces me, they usually call me Cosmic these days. My daughters’ friends all call me Papa.
Michael, Cosmic, Papa… I can handle those, but not Mike. It just doesn’t sound like me.