PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
View attachment 243213
View attachment 243214

First post, longtime lurker. So I’ve been into pipe smoking for a few years now. I started with my buddy here in TN Pete Prevost’s pipes and still love them. Then got into Savinelli, and a Dunhill kick and enjoyed hunting patent era estate pieces . After reading several posts on here I decided to try a Castello. Luca at T. Corti was an amazing tour guide. I decided if I’m going to get my first “55” I might as well go with a Cadillac. This is a 4K Fiammata with bark style top. I joked with Luca that it feels like power steering on a pipe it draws so smooth. There truly is something special about these pipes. New favs for sure
Welcome to the forums from Nijmegen the Netherlands ! What a stunning 55, I love the plateau top !
Can you see what year it was made ?
Mine is a pre K grading , so sixties. About to clean it; it was smoked maybe once, or twice.
Two third of the chamber is bare briar :) Has a rather pungent, sweet smell though, but I know how to deal with that.
I,m chuffed; a barely smoked sixties 55 ; we are spoiled.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Welcome to the forums from Nijmegen the Netherlands ! What a stunning 55, I love the plateau top !
Can you see what year it was made ?
Mine is a pre K grading , so sixties. About to clean it; it was smoked maybe once, or twice.
Two third of the chamber is bare briar :) Has a rather pungent, sweet smell though, but I know how to deal with that.
I,m chuffed; a barely smoked sixties 55 ; we are spoiled.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I met up with a pipe buddy while on vacation a couple of weeks ago and he sent me home with this chubby OSR with a saddle stem that pairs beautifully with another from the collection. The bowls are almost carbon copies of each other and I’d bet they were on the carvers bench at the same time. Both pipes were in my late buddy Chuck Rio’s collection at one time. I know “Mr Castello” would be very happy they are together in my new little 65 collection.
IMG_4227.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I met up with a pipe buddy while on vacation a couple of weeks ago and he sent me home with this chubby OSR with a saddle stem that pairs beautifully with another from the collection. The bowls are almost carbon copies of each other and I’d bet they were on the carvers bench at the same time. Both pipes were in my late buddy Chuck Rio’s collection at one time. I know “Mr Castello” would be very happy they are together in my new little 65 collection.
View attachment 243733
This is the first time I’m seeing these shapes and they are wonderful. Glad that the second can accompany the first.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Castello pick up from Iwan Ries yesterday , I was so lost in the experience there I have no clue what the shape model is , I just dug it. So I have to research. Although I’m sure one of the pipe Jedis here can inform me 😉
View attachment 243756
Very Unique little piece! I’d call it a shape 88 but there’s a lot of variation and liberties taken within a shape.

marlow-se

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2022
Sweden
My first Sea Rock (Shape 84) which is also my first pipe with a hawkbill shape. I've been meaning to buy a Sea Rock for a long time but never got around to it. Bought it from Tabaccheria Corti and I have only good things to say about the experience buying from this vendor. Second picture include my only other Castello, in the Trademark line.

20230909_185310.jpg

20230909_185627.jpg

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
View attachment 243733
Love everything about that pair of pipes—the shape, size, stems, color and rustication! Sea Rock rustication was a brilliant innovation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zero