Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Alright fellow CPG's and @RustiePyles CPG . I need some help and have a bit of a conundrum pipe on my hands. So I've been on the hunt for Sherlock Baker Streets with the beaded bowl, like the one I recently purchased from @Pipeoff. I recently found a brand new one on a website and ordered it immediately. It arrived today and to my surprise it has a 2006 hallmark on it. I'm a bit puzzled as I thought they only made the beaded design in the 80's.
View attachment 305591
The fancy beaded Baker St was indeed the first iteration of the pipe but it was made for several years. It's only been in the last 10 or so years that the fancy beading was discontinued in favor of the plain uninterrupted bead.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Alright fellow CPG's and @RustiePyles CPG . I need some help and have a bit of a conundrum pipe on my hands. So I've been on the hunt for Sherlock Baker Streets with the beaded bowl, like the one I recently purchased from @Pipeoff. I recently found a brand new one on a website and ordered it immediately. It arrived today and to my surprise it has a 2006 hallmark on it. I'm a bit puzzled as I thought they only made the beaded design in the 80's.
View attachment 305591
The Baker Street original was a prototype shape with a D letter on the band. It was the 2nd pipe in the first series made about 1989. The second series was known as The Return of Sherlock Holmes. and Peterson released them every 6 mo. Last pipe of this release was the Hansom letter L. The later pipe shapes like yours dated 2006 were copies of the original probably because the shape sold well. Note that the hallmark on the older pipes were stamped below the face of Sherlock. A series collector gave me this info.

scottbtdmb

Can't Leave
Apr 14, 2012
Two Petersons currently in the collection. The first one pictured is a Dracula. The second is a Mark Twain previously owned by the late, great Buddy Winemuller of the Chesapeake Pipe Club. Buddy was like a second grandfather to me. One of the nicest guys I’ve ever met and all you had to do was call him and he would be in the car right afterwards meeting you for dinner and a nice smoke afterwards. Miss him so much and am honored to own one of his pipes!
F4A405A3-3130-4E72-AC2A-5C5CC52A62DC.jpeg
6D475E91-4971-458E-AE2D-BFD24036C42C.jpeg
IMG_1658.jpeg

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
The Baker Street original was a prototype shape with a D letter on the band. It was the 2nd pipe in the first series made about 1989. The second series was known as The Return of Sherlock Holmes. and Peterson released them every 6 mo. Last pipe of this release was the Hansom letter L. The later pipe shapes like yours dated 2006 were copies of the original probably because the shape sold well. Note that the hallmark on the older pipes were stamped below the face of Sherlock. A series collector gave me this info.
Thanks. Love the two you sold me.

Reactions: Nevaditude

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Two Petersons currently in the collection. The first one pictured is a Dracula. The second is a Mark Twain previously owned by the late, great Buddy Winemuller of the Chesapeake Pipe Club. Buddy was like a second grandfather to me. One of the nicest guys I’ve ever met and all you had to do was call him and he would be in the car right afterwards meeting you for dinner and a nice smoke afterwards. Miss him so much and am honored to own one of his pipes!
View attachment 305667
View attachment 305668
View attachment 305669
That’s a great start to your Pete collection and a wonderful story. I can only imagine what a joy it is to have the pipe of a dear friend who has passed.