Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

G

Gimlet

I rarely take my pipes out unless its something like a family get together that is outside. I never feel like I have to smoke. It is something I enjoy and mostly in peace at my own home.
I'm the same, although I do take a pipe with me when I'm out for a ride on my bike, and if I stop for a tea/coffee break somewhere I'll usually find myself a peaceful corner to have a smoke and watch the world go by. I occasionally get the odd glance or double-take, as if to say, "oh, a pipe smoker. You don't see many of those these days", but no one ever butts in on my contemplation and tries to start a conversation.

The only exceptions are the rare occasions when I take my pipe to a bar and step outside with cigarette smokers for a puff. This only happens in summer when sitting outside in the evening with a drink and my pipe is a pleasant thing to do. Then, a cigarette smoker will always say something about my pipe. I don't mind. It's to be expected when I've chosen to join the social pariahs in the smoking area and it's just natural curiosity.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
At least here in Pennsylvania virtually all motorcyclists hold their arm down low and make some hand signal when they pass another motorcyclist. I always found it to be corny. I don’t feel a need to toot my horn when I drive past another Ford Fusion driver, and so a fellow pipe smoker is pretty much just gonna get the same head nod as anyone else. But secretly I do wonder what they’re smoking
Us two door Wrangler folks like to give a little Jeep wave! It’s goofy but it’s a thing.

G

Gimlet

At least here in Pennsylvania virtually all motorcyclists hold their arm down low and make some hand signal when they pass another motorcyclist. I always found it to be corny. I don’t feel a need to toot my horn when I drive past another Ford Fusion driver, and so a fellow pipe smoker is pretty much just gonna get the same head nod as anyone else. But secretly I do wonder what they’re smoking
I've yet to meet another pipe smoker in the wild, but if I did I suspect that trying to identify their chosen blend from the aroma would be irresistible. But I'd never barge in and ask.

G

Gimlet

At least here in Pennsylvania virtually all motorcyclists hold their arm down low and make some hand signal when they pass another motorcyclist.
Over here, if you ride a KTM and meet another KTM rider on the road it seems traditional to pop a friendly wheelie as you pass. The dirt bike fraternity are particularly keen on this form of salutation.
But if your biking blood doesn't run orange a slight head tilt is the usual form.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have noticed in my 30 odd years living here in the 'Colonies' that Americans are quite tribal, love to form clubs or associations and it is by far the most endearing thing about this country and its inhabitants. The NY Pipe Club has 'Lou' the President who has been President of the club forever since he is really good at running the NY Pipe Club. I see him once a year and drop off my annual subscription and that of my English mate @simong and all is great in paradise. That sort of stuff doesn't really happen in the U.K that I have noticed but then it might have changed whilst I have been away.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I think it's more likely to happen these days along Tobacco Road - Carolina's, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee. Maybe even throw parts of Missouri, Georgia, and West Virginia in there.
I think those states will give you the highest chance at running in to a pipe smoker in public.

In the last 7-8 years (aside from those in the pipe club and the dozens I've seen come in to Kremers), I've run in to maybe a hand full of people smoking a pipe in public.

One was an older man who would walk down the sidewalk outside the coffee shop I used to frequent. We would nod knowingly but never exchanged words.
Every other pipe smoker I've encountered in the wild has approached me and we've had a conversation about pipes and tobacco.

Green Hill piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
I live in NC and see pipe smokers around. Walking dogs, going to the grocery etc. I would not personally approach them but it is nice to know you are not alone and all existing pipe smokers don't live exclusively here on the forum. People are people and not everyone gives a crap about each other.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I'll just gently point out the irony of joining a special interest internet forum, reading pages of responses, then taking the time to write out a reply wherin one denies that their hobbies define them.
Many on here maintain that it is not a hobby and more of a perfunctory thing. But I suppose it is odd to join a forum about it if it is not a hobby.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
In the simplest of terms this is a forum about nicotine delivery devices - pipes. I have often wondered whether heroin addicts have a syringe forum called 'Syringe Magazine' where they show off their classic glass syringes that come in velvet padded cases and discuss the joys of opening containers of 1920s pharmacy grade drugs and shooting them up. Food for thought! :ROFLMAO:

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
In the simplest of terms this is a forum about nicotine delivery devices - pipes. I have often wondered whether heroin addicts have a syringe forum called 'Syringe Magazine' where they show off their classic glass syringes that come in velvet padded cases and discuss the joys of opening containers of 1920s pharmacy grade drugs and shooting them up. Food for thought! :ROFLMAO:

Simple-Simon's-Smack-01.png

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Lol, with a show us your spoons thread