PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
It's simply a pipe, not a sign of a secret society. Why would one feel the need to interrupt/interact with a man minding his own business and smoking a pipe? Is it a need for validation? "Oh! Oh, look! He's smoking a pipe and burning up his moneys just like I do!" I just don't understand this compunction some of you exhibit. Leave the poor guy to his solitude.
You obviously don't know about the secret handshake...

nbc-snl.gif

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'll just gently point out the irony of joining a special interest internet forum, reading pages of responses, then taking the time to write out a reply wherin one denies that their hobbies define them.
I chuckle to myself every time, irony is one of my favourite things and one of the few constants in this life...
The same could be said of rationalization an addiction. "I'm not addicted, it's a hobby". Some have joined to learn how, or for insider info. How many threads have you seen about which tobacco has the most nicotine? Even RYO and chew have forums. Being mostly asocial, I joined to talk to Ed James about cleaning stems. I stayed for info on sales and wouldn't have known about the deaming otherwise. With my job, it's my only social outlet. In recent years especially since the forum update, content has leaned more toward the hobby side and my participation has lessoned unless there's a myth to dispel for the new guys. I just like nicotine and each has product has a place depending on what I'm doing.

20230226_134058.jpg

Last edited:

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
In my town I've seen pipe smokers maybe six times in nine years.
I wouldn't approach and start a conversation though.
First, I'm not much for small talk, secondly, we're not very socially spontaneous in Sweden.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Egg Shen
H

HRPufnstuf

At the course where I work people frequently approach me about my pipe and/or tobacco. One or two reformed pipers like to hover while they're waiting for their tee times, mooching around in my smoke cloud. I usually feel flattered, but some days I feel like a trained bear on a motorcycle. Days like that I just wait patiently for the right moment...💣

Reactions: Carol and JOHN72

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Yeah it would be a terrible thing if two random humans on the street actually stopped and greeted each other...

I would maintain that most individuals can tell the difference between someone in a hurry or who seems reserved, and someone willing to interact.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Yeah it would be a terrible thing if two random humans on the street actually stopped and greeted each other...

I would maintain that most individuals can tell the difference between someone in a hurry or who seems reserved, and someone willing to interact.
Absolutely.
Depends on type of setting and situation.
But, just spontaneously commenting on pipe smoking to a total stranger passed by on the street, could easily be misunderstood in various ways.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Which begs the question, why do people who feel that way hang out in virtual toilet paper isles and post pics of themselves wiping their asses with different brands of toilet paper or brands of toilet paper that they use 💩 And go around haunting other virtual toilet paper isles at other stores 🧻 If some people really felt that way, I guess they could go and jerk in a circle by themselves somewhere else. Me, I'm here for the humour, photos, and all things pipes and now tobaccos...and I can only take people in small doses, so this form of socializing is ideal for me. Oh, @JOHN72 from Spain seems pretty cool 😎 A rhetorical question...
Because "community involvement" is a good way to stay informed about deals and the existence of things you might not otherwise come across just looking around on your own.

Plus, I don't view internet forums and virtual spaces the same way, it's not deep bonding like in-person. Plus, if it's annoying, you can always just walk away without worrying about someone throwing a brick at the back of your head or crying and begging for your attention for not doing things the way they do it, or not wanting to be part of the group, etc. Chosing to not engage has little consequence, if any, online. You can sort of be a "peeping tom" without people thinking you're some creepy weirdo and calling the cops.

I'll just gently point out the irony of joining a special interest internet forum, reading pages of responses, then taking the time to write out a reply wherin one denies that their hobbies define them.
I fail to see how joining a special interest forum for a hobby you're into translates into you using said hobby to define yourself or how it's remotely ironic.

If I introduce myself to strangers, I don't say "hello, I'm a pipe smoker". On general social media sites, I don't put it in my bio section. I don't post pics of pipes or me smoking them or talk about it on Instagram or Facebook. If I were asked to talk about myself to strangers, about who I am or what makes me, me... I wouldn't mention that I ride a motorcycle or smoke a pipe... I would talk about my beliefs about life, talk about what kind if personality I have, etc.

So I fail to see how being part of a special interest group or forum translates to "your hobby defines you".

If I put the pipe down now and never touched it again, I'd still be the same person I am now, just as much as I am the same person I was before picking up a pipe.

Last edited:

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
At least here in Pennsylvania virtually all motorcyclists hold their arm down low and make some hand signal when they pass another motorcyclist. I always found it to be corny. I don’t feel a need to toot my horn when I drive past another Ford Fusion driver, and so a fellow pipe smoker is pretty much just gonna get the same head nod as anyone else. But secretly I do wonder what they’re smoking
I do wave at other bikers on the road, but I find that whole thing corny too. Some have said "it doesn't mean I want to be your friend, it means..." and then they go into some sentimental, maudlin crap about recognition and all this other nonsense.

I only do the wave because it's expected and if you don't, they get on the motorcycle forums to cry about how they waved and didn't get a wave back, and something about "but da meaning!" or whatever nonsense.

I ride a Harley too, both of my bikes are Harley's actually. I don't go to the bike nights, too much of that machismo dick-measuring crap and wanna-be badass nonsense. The only time I hang out with other bikers, is when I meet up with a bunch of FoGs from a forum I'm on in ES once a year. It's anan excuse for a trip, and they all aren't into that machismo stuff, they just hang out like regular, not obnoxious people and don't cry about it if you don't want to ride with them.

Last edited:

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I do wave at other bikers on the road, but I find that whole thing corny too. Some have said "it doesn't mean I want to be your friend, it means..." and then they go into some sentimental, maudlin crap about recognition and all this other nonsense.

I only do the wave because it's expected and if you don't, they get on the motorcycle forums to cry about how they waved and didn't get a wave back, and something about "but da meaning!" or whatever nonsense.

I ride a Harley too, both of my bikes are Harley's actually. I don't go to the bike nights, too much of that machismo dick-measuring crap. The only time I hang out with other bikers, is when I meet up with a bunch of FoGs from a forum I'm on in ES once a year. It's anan excuse for a trip, and they all aren't into that machismo stuff, they just hang out like regular, not obnoxious people and don't cry about it if you don't want to ride with them.
Had to look up maudlin; good word to add to the vocabulary! My only objection, real objection to that is you now have only 1 hand to steer while you signal, what if you unexpectedly hit a bump, or even having to brake hard might cause you to shift your weight awkwardly and possibly lay down your bike? I’m sure it’s unlikely but it might be possible.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I admit to being somewhat reserved and maybe even considered antisocial by some, but holy cow some of you guys seem downright feral....or at least claim to be. Striking up a conversation with a stranger over something as benign as smoking a pipe shouldn't cause such angst. Might as well ask me how I like my pickup or if I think it might snow tomorrow. Whatever.