PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I live in rural and coastal Northern CA... pipe smokers are extremely rare here. The only time I saw a pipe smoker in the wild, he was smoking his pipe while filling his truck up with gas in my tiny town of under 5000 people. I did not approach LOL. I have not seen the guy since then, which was about 4-5 years ago.
I live in rural southern Oregon and have seen a few pipe smokers. The only time I interacted with someone smoking a pipe I was at a garden supply store and we were literally standing next to each other waiting for the employee to bring us what we purchased. We were both smoking a pipe and it would’ve been more odd almost to not say anything considering we were within 15 feet of each other. We had a short chat about pipes and the one he was smoking at the time was the first one he ever bought 40 years before. He had waaay more pipes than I did. I think he said like 40 something pipes. He was a pretty cool dude.

G

Gimlet

I admit to being somewhat reserved and maybe even considered antisocial by some, but holy cow some of you guys seem downright feral....or at least claim to be. Striking up a conversation with a stranger over something as benign as smoking a pipe shouldn't cause such angst. Might as well ask me how I like my pickup or if I think it might snow tomorrow. Whatever.
Lol, I know what you mean but I read it more as not wishing to interrupt someone's contemplative smoke. We all know those meditative occasions when we stare into the middle distance and don't wish to be disturbed.

Reactions: JOHN72

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Lol, I know what you mean but I read it more as not wishing to interrupt someone's contemplative smoke. We all know those meditative occasions when we stare into the middle distance and don't wish to be disturbed.
To slip in and out of nirvana can be mastered, Grasshopper.

Last edited:

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I mean, I wouldn't be an asshole if someone approached me about it. I'm not a dick to the people that see me out on my bike and are all "I used to ride". Most of the time it's annoying because it's the same thing every time, and usually I'm in the middle of trying to go about my day, but I don't get annoyed at the person, I wait until they walk away to scowl about it. But at the same time, when that's the approach, I suddenly "realize I left the oven on and have to run".

10622795_723825714339934_4105577930959123919_n.jpg

I just mean I'm not very social in that way. If I were to join any kind of social club, it would be:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob74 and JOHN72
G

Gimlet

I mean, I wouldn't be an asshole if someone approached me about it. I'm not a dick to the people that see me out on my bike and are all "I used to ride". Most of the time it's annoying because it's the same thing every time, and usually I'm in the middle of trying to go about my day, but I don't get annoyed at the person, I wait until they walk away to scowl about it. But at the same time, when that's the approach, I suddenly "realize I left the oven on and have to run".
When I'm out in my bike and I've stopped somewhere non-biking folk always seem to wait until I'm ready to leave before approaching. I've got earplugs in, helmet on, I'm pulling on my gloves and about to set off and then they decide to come over and start a chat.
I've had people interrupt my departure to ask is that a Harley when is says Harley Davidson in gold letters across the tank..
I'm never rude, I just point at my ears - sorry mate I can't hear you - and hit the gas.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Striking up a conversation with a stranger over something as benign as smoking a pipe shouldn't cause such angst. Might as well ask me how I like my pickup or if I think it might snow tomorrow. Whatever.
Well, you are certainly not anti-social. Asocial? Maybe. You sound to receptive too strangers to be anti-social.

That said, I cannot think of why I would ask a stranger about their affinity for their truck or inquire about their ability to predict the coming weather. I've got an app, possibly two, for that. Beside, not knowing them would lend their opinion on their truck tobe meaningless. Not knowing them means I have no idea to their knowledge base or, tastes in vehicles.

Curmudgeons speak to people in order to berate them over real or, imagined behaviors. I've been referred to as an aingisoir in Ireland. A much more correct descriptor for my personality. A curmudgeon I certainly am not. Not even remotely as my aingisois(ish) behavior in this paragraph will attest. rotf

Last edited:

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
That said, I cannot think of why I would ask a stranger about their affinity for their truck or inquire about their ability to predict the coming weather. I've got an app, possibly two, for that. Beside, not knowing them would lend their opinion on their truck would be meaningless. Not knowing them means I have no idea to their knowledge base or, tastes in vehicles.
Pretty sure you know that these kinds of interactions that come out of nowhere with strangers are merely gestures of friendliness. It's ok with me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
For those with no Irish acquaintances who speak the language, an aingisoir politely points out misbehavior and offers acceptable alternatives to such behavior. Whether the target takes the advice is totally up to the miscreant. An Irish speaker would provide a more complete definition should one desire such.
My grandfather described it like a honing stone removing rough edges. Polishing up our behavior so we didn't get our asses beat! 🤣

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Yeah it would be a terrible thing if two random humans on the street actually stopped and greeted each other...
I touch or tip my hat to ladies I pass. I might even say good day if they smile in response. I'll hold a door for ladies, the infirm or aged. I'm not a boor in my social behavior. I simply do not invite familiarity. I've even been known to cover someone's purchases in a grocery store if they are short moneys and appear to be "in need.," The only conversation would be a "thank you" and a "you're most welcome." Hopefully, when they are in a position to, they'll "pay it forward." I don't want to be their friend, just an anonymous benefactor when one is required.

I'm civil not, a glad handing, intrusive individual.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I touch or tip my hat to ladies I pass. I might even say good day if they smile in response. I'll hold a door for ladies, the infirm or aged. I'm not a boor in my social behavior. I simply do not invite familiarity. I've even been known to cover someone's purchases in a grocery store if they are short moneys and appear to be "in need.," The only conversation would be a "thank you" and a "you're most welcome." Hopefully, when they are in a position to, they'll "pay it forward." I don't want to be their friend, just an anonymous benefactor when one is required.

Yeah, my parents raised me to be polite but beyond pleasantries, I mostly don't engage.

G

Gimlet

I'm much the same. But I wouldn't rebuff someone who's just being friendly, even if I'm not really in the mood or would prefer to be left in peace. Angels in disguise and all that.
Sometimes, rather trying individuals who grab at one's pipe smoking or choice of motorcycle to initiate a conversation are just lonely.

A few years ago, I was at a well known bike meet in a little seaside town on the south coast of England. I had a small band of friends who rode together regularly and we'd meet up there. Mostly I went there to catch up with my friends and otherwise kept myself to myself.
In summer the place is thronged with non-biking tourists and day trippers. Some just go to ogle the bikes and you always get old boys who love to collar you and talk about the bikes they used to ride 50 years ago. It can get repetitive and a little tedious, but such is the nature of the place.

On this occasion, one such old chap ambushed me just as I was thinking about leaving and started banging on about the Tiger Cub or whatever it was he used to have.
It would have been easy to make my excuses and slide away but for some reason I didn't that day. We ended up having a cup of tea together and a proper chat. It turned out he had met his wife at this place 60 years ago when he used to go there on his bike. They'd had their honeymoon there and they came back ever since on their anniversary, although now just in the car.
She had died a few months ago, today was their anniversary and he'd come back on his own in memory of her. He became quite emotional. They hadn't had any children and he confessed that he'd never felt so low and didn't know how he was going to keep going on his own or even if he wanted to.
I introduced him to some of my friends who were locals and were there without fail every weekend, some staying all day just to talk bikes, and to the guy who ran the little coffee and burger hut that gave discount to bikers. We told him that if ever he felt low he could always come here and he could always sit with us and talk bikes (he was very knowledgeable on bikes actually and not just a wannabe).
I don't live in that area any more but I hope this old boy found some friends and some purpose there and I'm glad that on that day I didn't walk away.

Last edited by a moderator:

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
Every Irish man I’ve ever met, could talk your ear off for hours about mundane things. You guys must be from a different clan or maybe you just need a couple pints of Guinness to get the crack flowing. I am German Dutch descent and don’t do well with small talk about things I don’t care about. I’m usually very short and to the point with a little dry satirical humor thrown in which mostly goes unnoticed by the recipient. However I’m never rude intentionally. I do have interest in pipes and tobacco so I figured the old curmudgeons might have a thing or two interesting to say.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
You guys must be from a different clan or maybe you just need a couple pints of Guinness to get the crack flowing.
And there are times and places for such behavior. In a proper pub I can enjoy the craic (a proper Irish word indeed.) as well as the next guy. But, that's the reason I'd go. There's a big difference in interacting in a social gathering and simply invading someone's personal space because you feel like socializing. I didn't grow up in a metropolis so my space is probably wider, certainly more sacrosanct than,in perhaps for other people.

But, I respect personal space and expect mine to be respected. Yes, I have the "gift" available when I want to use it. Or, so I've been told. Your conclusions are simply not valid. Logical maybe, as people need imagery to fill out the limited information provided by members through posts.

Last edited: