PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DunhillPiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2019
USA
Sun Bear Mountain Flower 2oz

Designed to be the perfect summertime smoke, Cornell & Diehl's Small Batch Sun Bear combines top-tier Bright Virginias and tangy Reds with two distinct varietals of matured Oriental leaf. Natural casings of silver tequila and elderflower complement these tobaccos, alongside a drizzle of raw, unpasteurized honey to elevate the leaf's inherent sweetness and floral notes.
While previous iterations have featured honey from various farms, including the personal hives of C&D's head blender Jeremy Reeves, 2022's edition further augments the blend with ethically sourced wildflower and blackberry honey from a family-owned apiary in Morganton, NC — a community that Cornell & Diehl called home for over 20 years. The organic Mountain Flower honey complements Sun Bear's tobaccos, elevating their fruity and floral notes for a bright, refreshing character and a creamy rounded finish.
Despite its unique casings, Sun Bear: Mountain Flower is not an Aromatic, but a complex Virginia/Oriental flake with both top and bottom notes of mutual sweetness. It appeals to customers across the smoking spectrum without targeting an individual flavor profile, and is a rare summertime treat that every smoker can open and enjoy immediately or purchase in multiple tins to put away and age.

DunhillPiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2019
USA
Sun Bear Mountain Flower 2oz

Designed to be the perfect summertime smoke, Cornell & Diehl's Small Batch Sun Bear combines top-tier Bright Virginias and tangy Reds with two distinct varietals of matured Oriental leaf. Natural casings of silver tequila and elderflower complement these tobaccos, alongside a drizzle of raw, unpasteurized honey to elevate the leaf's inherent sweetness and floral notes.
While previous iterations have featured honey from various farms, including the personal hives of C&D's head blender Jeremy Reeves, 2022's edition further augments the blend with ethically sourced wildflower and blackberry honey from a family-owned apiary in Morganton, NC — a community that Cornell & Diehl called home for over 20 years. The organic Mountain Flower honey complements Sun Bear's tobaccos, elevating their fruity and floral notes for a bright, refreshing character and a creamy rounded finish.
Despite its unique casings, Sun Bear: Mountain Flower is not an Aromatic, but a complex Virginia/Oriental flake with both top and bottom notes of mutual sweetness. It appeals to customers across the smoking spectrum without targeting an individual flavor profile, and is a rare summertime treat that every smoker can open and enjoy immediately or purchase in multiple tins to put away and age.

15,000 2oz tins.

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
I wish I could smoke C&D stuff. Their offerings sound interesting, but every time I try there is something in or on the tobacco that just does not like me. Leaves a horrible taste after each draw and a coating I liken to eating a celery stalk without anything on it.

Reactions: pantsBoots

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Still haven't succumbed to impulse buying Sun Bear. In fact, the only small run drops I've gone in on are the 2022 Eight State Burley (which I do no regret after smoking through a half tin so far), and Sansepolcro a couple years back. But the latest Sun Bear has me intrigued to say the least.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Still haven't succumbed to impulse buying Sun Bear. In fact, the only small run drops I've gone in on are the 2022 Eight State Burley (which I do no regret after smoking through a half tin so far), and Sansepolcro a couple years back. But the latest Sun Bear has me intrigued to say the least.
The only difference I see from prior releases is the source of honey.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
The past two releases were fairly similar, not sure how "deep" to cellar this new release. Don't reach for it often, but It's a nice aro to change things up a bit and doesn't taste like grape.
Might get a few to have tins just to try and have some from each batch. Of course with that mentality I would need to seek out the first release as I missed the drop....

Reactions: aquadoc

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Oh well, that changes everything. I don’t have a palate that will pick up on the slightly different taste in honey they use.

Go to HEB and look for the "varietal" honey offerings from Walker Honey, in the square-ish bottles with corks, like this one:

1658881884925.png

Try several of the varieties. I really liked the Mesquite one and Orange Blossom one.

You can see all the varieties here:

For those outside of Texas, I think they even ship reasonably.

After 2 or 3 varieties, you will be well prepared to appreciate the Sun Bear subtleties.

Or, grab your dog and daughter and make a day trip out of visiting. It's an hour north of you.

I sure miss HEB!!

1658881810909.png

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
To the tune of “The Thunder Rolls” by Mr. Garth Brooks, if you will

The cellar grows
As the TAD bug strikes
The wife’s stare is cold
As I relight
The small batch storm
Is out of control
With a piper’s heart
The cellar grows.

Ah-thank you, ah-thank you, but most of all… ah-thank you.
Well done. Well done! ?

Reactions: AcesAndEights

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I really liked the first tin of Sun Bear Black Locust a lot. It was the only tobacco I took with me on a short vacation and it perfectly hit the spot. It made me regret only purchasing two tins. However, I opened the second tin recently and was less enamored of it. It's very slightly cloying. Although it could just be my palate at this particular moment—I've had the same reaction to Lakelands and lat blends on occasion—I do wonder how well these honey blends will age.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I have smoked a few tins of the original release and just started in on the Black Locust a few days ago ...I get in on this one every year because I really like Va/Or blends and also enjoy aromatics; if you aren't into those things, it's obviously not worth it.

I think C&D do some interesting things with Orientals - Sun Bear, Eight State Burley and John Marr have a aromatic/oriental thing going on that I really like. ...if they would press John Marr into flakes I'd be giddy...

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I decided to try another bowl of Sun Bear Black Locust from the second tin opened and jarred a few weeks ago. Having had a chance to air out a bit, the tobacco tasted just as I remembered it from the first tin. You can detect the honey but the cloying note is gone and the flavor that's left is just delightful. I will be ordering a few tins of the new release.