PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about these for a reason

1. People who are otherwise understated also sometimes may feel the need to brag - They will show the expensive pipes from time to time, and only the ones who are in the know will appreciate
2. Smoking a pipe is a quirky hobby for them, and want to preserve a little bit of tobacciana history
3. Even though they have gone from the world in the future, they hope a little bit of their legacy would live on at a corner of a museum stating … “Generously donated by Mr X…”

There are people in this forum who own these pipes. You have to be extremely observant and knowledgeable to identify them.

Jun 25, 2021
England
There's a term in painting called "holding a point". This means that the hairs of the brush wiil come together when charged with paint to form a point, and hold that point when the brush is dragged across a surface. The hairs in a high end brush were selected and arranged to come together and this used to be done by hand. My Windsor & Newton Series 7 would hold a point and I could effortlessly vary the thickness of the line by the angle and amount of pressure I brought to bear on the brush. Lower grades had a tendency to split, leaving a gap in the line, because the hairs were not so carefully and perfectly matched. A finely made brush transmits the action of the painter much more accurately than a cheaply made brush and continues to do so for years. Synthetics were popular for their lower cost, but their ability to hold a point was not the equal of a sable, and didn't hold up over time.

It's been nearly 20 years since I last stocked up, as my industry abandoned traditional media in favor of digital tools, so it may be that synthetic brushes have improved markedly from those I had at my disposal.
Synthetic brushes have improved, but still can't hold a candle to a natural bristle.
I use supposedly top-quality synthetics in my oil paintings, but only for certain tasks.
I wouldn't use one for painting a sky for instance. because I find they don't blend the paint evenly and leave unwanted marks.

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
I can catch fish with a $20 combo pole & reel.. but, I prefer to use a $1k+ bamboo. I'm 99.9% of the time fishing alone so I don't do it to impress anyone.. same with pipes as I'm rarely around anyone but, I like a nice pipe & lighter. IMO, I deserve to have what I like.. Both kids college are grads with no student loans. House and condo on FL beach long paid for.

My mother told me to never ask someone what they paid for something.. Its none of my business.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's funny how some people get offended so easily. I am new to the forum and when I see people talking about pipes they seem to mention things like Costello or Dunhill and the artisans at the upper end and a lot of people on here are smoking cobs Rossis Savinellis Petersons etc. It seems that the upper ranges approach maybe hundreds of dollars but not thousands and not thirty five thousand lol.

I was just wondering if regular pipe smokers are buying these or is it investors or something I don't know about. Are the people buying these on this forum?

And I was wondering if they are here they could tell me what is it exactly makes a pipe worth 35,000 dollars or even 10,000 dollars. I am curious not judgemental. I know what makes a wine worth 1000s or a car or a rolex but pipes not sure.
While I don't own any pipes in the 5 digit range, I have known a couple of collectors who own pipes in this range, and being the curious type who throws etiquette out the window when it suits me, I've asked them about it.
And, there are a few things that become apparent. They saw a craftsman whose work and ethos impressed them as something above and beyond, something individual and admirable and they bought his work. They had the means, but they weren't spending any 5 figures for any of it, high 3's, low 4's.

But their buying and the buzz it created, grew the craftsman's market and prices for his work went up. Then death took its toll and that tends to put a cap on further production, resulting in a further rise in prices as collectors with money compete with each other to get an example for their collections.

None of the people I asked bought their pipes at top of the market, and none of them thought of their pipes as an "investment". Being financial professionals, pipes as an investment struck them as stupid thinking, even though they had to admit that they purchases were worth a lot more than they paid.

One of them pointed to the expanding Asian market as a factor in the rise of prices among a few carvers. In Asia the gift of a rare pipe by a celebrity carver could seal a lucrative business deal. So the reasons for these lofty prices became more varied and the forces behind them more complicated.

Priced a Da Vinci painting recently? A 5 figured price for a pipe doesn't seem quite as farfetched, and the prices of both are the product of forces that have little to do with the intrinsic value of either object.

I've asked one of the collectors if his Bo Nordhs really smoked that much better than all other pipes he's owned and his reply was, "They smoke about as well as my Grabows."

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I can catch fish with a $20 combo pole & reel.. but, I prefer to use a $1k+ bamboo. I'm 99.9% of the time fishing alone so I don't do it to impress anyone.. same with pipes as I'm rarely around anyone but, I like a nice pipe & lighter. IMO, I deserve to have what I like.. Both kids college are grads with no student loans. House and condo on FL beach long paid for.

My mother told me to never ask someone what they paid for something.. Its none of my business.
Maybe sell one of those homes and get a good pipe...LOL!! Just kidding.

Reactions: Briar Lee

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
PP: Might you Please put your location in your Profile?
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts. It cuts down on posts or PMs asking where you are.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
If I was a billionaire, I'd get some expensive watches before pipes. I find them utterly fascinating and could stare at them for days. Here is a device that is mechanical, wearable art that is totally obsolete for most.

Harry Winston – Histoire de Tourbillon 3​

1639257528246.png

Hublot – MP-05 LaFerrari​

1639257567879.png

The Jacob & Co. Astronomia Solar​

1639257663098.png

Ksigel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2021
Connecticut
Wow! That's big money. Even when a few less zeros that's a lot for me. What's the term, "more money than brains"? Go figure.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
That's big money
Not really.
"more money than brains"? Go figure.
There's less money with less brains. Brains meaning education and self-discipline. With both, coupled to time and effort one can make considerable moneys in a lifetime. All it takes is the effort and achieve a goal. Most people would rather conserve the effort for more fun activities when young. So, it's a choice for most whether to make money or . . . amuse themselves ealy in life, paying the penalty later, living on Social Security or, maybe being unable to retire.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Not really.

There's less money with less brains. Brains meaning education and self-discipline. With both, coupled to time and effort one can make considerable moneys in a lifetime. All it takes is the effort and achieve a goal. Most people would rather conserve the effort for more fun activities when young. So, it's a choice for most whether to make money or . . . amuse themselves ealy in life, paying the penalty later, living on Social Security or, maybe being unable to retire.

Agreed but as a man with grey in his beard, even I think a guy my again looks silly in a Ferrari. There needs to be a "back it backwards" fund/tax so younger guys can get sportier cars.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
How about these for a reason

1. People who are otherwise understated. . . .
2. Smoking a pipe is a quirky hobby for them, and want to preserve a little bit of tobacciana history

There are people in this forum who own these pipes. You have to be extremely observant and knowledgeable to identify them.
ditto
well put
kindly,
mik

Ksigel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2021
Connecticut
Not really.

True that.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
I have a few pipes that were over $1000. I won't ever be able to own a Lamborghini, but I can at least own the equivalent in pipe designs or a piece of pipe history. Check out the 'What are you smoking" threads. You'll see SBangs, Ivarssons, etc... they are on there, and being smoked.

$10,000 might be a stretch for me, but I can easily come up with a few grand for something that really speaks to me. But, not all of my pipes are that expensive, by any means.
Can someone make sure this guy picks my name for the secret Santa next year? ?‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.