PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
The first 3 words (the topic) of this question is subjective and we manage to fill 6 pages with it, you see how nutty we are on pipes.

We (our family) have been looking at another house. We set a fixed price where we find ourselfs comfortable to pay in mortgage every month. We do know we have a house in a much wanted neighbourhood of our city, still we didnt put it up for sale yet. Greet hasn't found us yet to just push the house on the market, cash big time (maybe twice the mortgage now on it), as we still have to spend more than we would like to to buy another house.

It's the same with cars. We own 2 because we need to. But we always wanted another car to tow our RV. Our present towing car does what it has to (tow the RV), is only 10 years old with 100K miles / 160K KM, drives great, hasnt been that expensive in maintaince, tyres, title and insurance. So why on earth would we for those 2000 km we use as a towing vehicle? Now with COVID not going away we stay in the country anyway and we don't have to tow over mountains.

This goes for anything. Homes, cars, clothes, watches, going to diner, holidays. Everything. Spend what you are comfortable with. If that is what you can spend have at it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This sounds tasteful. I have to say that for my tastes, a lot of the high priced pipes are overworked eyesores with a shape that looks ergonomicly poor. I’d rather spend that kind of $ on artwork that is not a pipe. That said I’ve seen some expensive ones that are more traditional in shape that I like. I don’t think I spent more than a few hundred dollars on any of mine.

I agree this thread wants more pictures of expensive pipes.
there are a lot of pipes that give me more of a sculpture vibe then smoking tool vibe. Nothing wrong with that. But there are certainly ones that I don't imagine getting smoked regularly or even on special occasions. Though at that price a piece has to stand out. And it doesn't need wide appeal, it needs really sharp appeal. One person has to like it a lot.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I did that just now, most of what I saw was - to my eyes - a parade of ugliness, like a first year art student modern art gallery.
Even this?

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Haven’t noticed any mention of the collector personality … being a collector of anything has a cost of admission … if you collect pennies , several of them will cost you hundreds of dollars if not a thousand , there is no increased utility of that penny but it costs more , if you want every penny it will cost you a lot ….

If you want to collect pipes from the well known and highly collectible pipes from the masters of pipe making it will cost you a lot . Do they smoke better? no . but I ? my pipe collection. And higher end pipes do hold their value relatively well ( I am on a long term lease with 200 pipes)

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Even this?
Boring, divide the price by 12-15x and maybe

Agreed. Tao is either killing whales for stems, which is despicable. Or they are providing whales pro bono (whales don't have insurance) dental services and just using the extractions, which is admirable. Either way, Lucite is cheaper.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I've had conversations with my fellow collector friends about the collector mentality or personality. Part of it seems like it could be biological, related to hunter/gatherer wiring/genes; I suspect another element has to do with an emotional response, possibly related to a disruptive or traumatic childhood event that was out of one's control—in my case, the introduction of an oldest half brother that was unknown to my brothers and me that resulted in my father moving away to take care of that other side of the family, effectively making me a "son of divorce," even though my parents weren't divorced. With collecting, I found a sense of security and stability in a world of chaos—with collecting, I made the rules; I decided what and how I'd collect. In your little collector microcosm, things are in control, in order, where you want it. Then again, maybe I just like stuff. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and ceci n'est pas une pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Status
Not open for further replies.