PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Anytime :)
Raw, or steamed with spring onions ( or ginger ) and soy sauce ( cantonese ), au gratin with spinach and bread-crumbs etc. etc.
Last year we visited Honfleur in France and had so many with a good, dry white wine. We love'em.
Also a stunning recipe here for lambs testicles.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have never eaten oysters. They really don't appeal to me.
However, if they were cooked, chopped up really small and covered in curry sauce. I think I could manage them if I had to.
Mentioned earlier: Oysters Rockefeller; Bienville; Deauville, etc. All are cooked and seasoned nicely. One has spinach to hid the bits, too. They are everywhere in New Orleans, and in some fancy restaurants in cities.

EDIT: Didn't see Orlando's post when I wrote the above. The N.O. versions appeared to have been baked. Delicious.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Okay, the clue the Matrix provides me is that some people don't love raw oysters.
These things made me question human choices on food consumption, but I soon grew to enjoy them as well. If you don't recognize them, and you think raw oysters are disgusting, you're fine as-is.

Uni-Explainer-FT-BLOG0523-791a96edc86c4179aa99078676981d40.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Okay, the clue the Matrix provides me is that some people don't love raw oysters.
These things made me question human choices on food consumption, but I soon grew to enjoy them as well. If you don't recognize them, and you think raw oysters are disgusting, you're fine as-is.

Uni-Explainer-FT-BLOG0523-791a96edc86c4179aa99078676981d40.jpg

Them thar be sea urchin testicles. ;)

If really and truly super fresh---meaning only hours out of the water---and an Old School sushi master is the one doing the culinary necessities, they're delicious.

Even a smidge too old, though, or previously frozen, and they're disgusting.

Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 12.41.34 PM.png

• Wow
Reactions: orlandofurioso

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Them thar be sea urchin testicles. ;)

If really and truly super fresh---meaning only hours out of the water---and an Old School sushi master is the one doing the culinary necessities, they're delicious.

Even a smidge too old, though, or previously frozen, and they're disgusting.

View attachment 304236
Yeah, the first time I had them was in LA - taken to the place by a manager with a generous expense account who loved sushi, so they were fresh. They were not-so-great anywhere I tried them in Atlanta. But I need to give them another try in Seattle - I'm sure there are good places.

I was travelling through Illinois on my way to Chicago, and saw a sign that said "turkey testicle festival this way." So, I was like, damn, lets go see that.
It was somewhere near Winnebago, IL. A little bar in the middle of just flat nothingness. Billions and billions of cars and trucks parked for as far as the eye could see. Bands, fat women, and beer by the freighter load.
Now, I wish I could say that I had tried me a turkey testicle. And, I would have, if it weren't that I stood in line with my family for two hours, and the line was still about eight hours long, and I just didn't have that kind of time. But, ummm boy, them Illinois boys really like gobbling those gobbler gonads down by the buckets.
Honestly, I never even got close enough to them to even see one.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
No amount of curry sauce could persuade me to eat testicles.
Nor I, yet there seems to be this sort of he-man attitude toward the eating of balls...kind of verges on homoerotic.
Whereas, the eating of raw oysters has been likened to experiencing cunnilingus.

I've had raw oyters and it's OK, and didn't remind me of muff diving, but nothing I would seek out. My father, being a New Englander, loved raw oysters. Oyster stew is a delight.

Reactions: Kobold

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Nor I, yet there seems to be this sort of he-man attitude toward the eating of balls...kind of verges on homoerotic.
Whereas, the eating of raw oysters has been likened to experiencing cunnilingus.

I've had raw oyters and it's OK, and didn't remind me of muff diving, but nothing I would seek out. My father, being a New Englander, loved raw oysters. Oyster stew is a delight.
I have never heard any such vagina references and can't imagine how the two could relate.

I have only even seen animal testicles prep'd for eating, once. I was at my Grandfather's hunting cabin with him, Dad and my little brother who was about eight at the time. They had fried up a bunch of cut-up bull testicles - they called them 'calf fries' - and didn't tell my brother what they were. He had a piece on his fork and I took it away from him and told him what it was. My Dad and Grandfather were laughing like little boys. It's an image I'll never forget.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
I have never heard any such vagina references and can't imagine how the two could relate.

I have only even seen animal testicles prep'd for eating, once. I was at my Grandfather's hunting cabin with him, Dad and my little brother who was about eight at the time. They had fried up a bunch of cut-up bull testicles - they called them 'calf fries' - and didn't tell my brother what they were. He had a piece on his fork and I took it away from him and told him what it was. My Dad and Grandfather were laughing like little boys. It's an image I'll never forget.
I'd be like your Grandfather and Dad :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I was travelling through Illinois on my way to Chicago, and saw a sign that said "turkey testicle festival this way." So, I was like, damn, lets go see that.
It was somewhere near Winnebago, IL. A little bar in the middle of just flat nothingness. Billions and billions of cars and trucks parked for as far as the eye could see. Bands, fat women, and beer by the freighter load.
Now, I wish I could say that I had tried me a turkey testicle. And, I would have, if it weren't that I stood in line with my family for two hours, and the line was still about eight hours long, and I just didn't have that kind of time. But, ummm boy, them Illinois boys really like gobbling those gobbler gonads down by the buckets.
Honestly, I never even got close enough to them to even see one.
What you missed:

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
Prairie oysters. The thought of eating gonads makes me gag.

I've et alligator, crawfish, octopus, raw shrimp that was sill wiggling on the plate, brains, kidneys and a variety of other roads less traveled. I can't quite get into eating grasshoppers neither.
Eh, I can get behind fried gonads. Specifically fried!
Then again, I'm allergic to shellfish (developed after I developed a taste for crab rangoon and fried clam, of course) and my bucket list includes "Eat horse".

Reactions: sablebrush52