PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
One of my sisters makes her "mad money" running a shop at a flea market in SE Texas. She will go to thrift stores and other flea markets to find items that she can sell in her shop or on-line.

It's amazing what people will pay for stuff. She found round metal signs for different car brands and gasoline at a discount store and paid $6 apiece for 10 of them. Put them online priced at $15 each and was sold out within a week.

She is also good at finding estate pipes and tobacco collectibles. She sends me photos so I can either tell her to buy them for me or tell her what they are worth.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I've never found anything really interesting in 'Thrift Stores' other than the odd book I wanted to read.
Same here, but there are dozens of Estate sales here every weekend, I'm just too lazy to go driving around to find them all, one thing about this area of florida is a lot of older retired people dying off and their kids selling all their crap on the cheap. I'm sure if i actually could be bothered to go i would find some pipes and interesting things.

I have a friend i grew up with that goes every weekend, i should just meet up with her and let her drive us around, mb offer lunch as my part of the deal. Not a bad idea actually.

Reactions: Searock Fan

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Same here, but there are dozens of Estate sales here every weekend, I'm just too lazy to go driving around to find them all, one thing about this area of florida is a lot of older retired people dying off and their kids selling all their crap on the cheap. I'm sure if i actually could be bothered to go i would find some pipes and interesting things.

I have a friend i grew up with that goes every weekend, i should just meet up with her and let her drive us around, mb offer lunch as my part of the deal. Not a bad idea actually.
Sharing a ride sounds like a good idea.... right up to the time you find something you both want. puffy

Reactions: gastro

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I bought this Noritake china saucer today to use as a tobacco tray and I saw a bunch of other pipe related stuff. I really liked the pipe cabinet but I think the Warden got nervous with all the pipe slots. With room for 14 pipes she quickly realized I needed to buy 10 more to fill it up! I’ll have to go back without her.

View attachment 306567View attachment 306568View attachment 306569View attachment 306570View attachment 306571
Guess I'm kind of slow, did you get the pipe cabinet or not? puffy

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Lightning does strike twice. A couple of weeks ago I wrote about getting a Cutco knife and getting others in the past. On Saturday we went to a fund raising sale in a church parking lot and found a box with a service for 8 of Cutco soup spoons and tea spoons. Cost to buy new would be several hundred dollars. We got them for $5. We have the table knives so now all we need is a set of forks and we'll be dining like rich folks. Oh, and by the way, no pipe stuff..... puffy

71QS0vXWnNL00_.jpg

BingBong

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I always imagine "Thrifting" to be in a charity shop, spotting a must have and going sideways round a corner to grab it.

We have an old local guy, "car-boot Ken", who travels far and wide to find charity shops in London, he has an eye for stuff, buys things for pennies and sells them to West End dealers for hundreds if not thousands. Last week, he told me of an unusual Hohner harmonica with covering letter that he'd bought about 20 years ago for not very much - it turned out to be unique, the letter was from Hohner to the valued customer, Larry Adler. It is off to the USA for $4k. Ken says his whole house is stuffed with such junk!

Reactions: Searock Fan

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I did not. Looking back a day later, I'm glad I didn't get it. When I see something in an antique shop or flea market, I get a gut feeling when I like something, kind of like it speaks to me. This didn't do that. The Noritake saucer did.
I would bet that if you looked on the bottom of the cabinet you would find a sticker that said "Decature". I seem to remember those as far back as the 60s. They were made of solid walnut and rather expensive. I don't need one, but if the price were right I don't think I could have resisted. puffy