PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Tyson will crush him.

Tommy “Hit Man” Hearns was our Detroit guy back in the day. He is still around town and is always super nice.

Why has Manny Pacquiao not been mentioned!? Pacquiao is the only boxer in history to have won twelve major world titles in eight different weight divisions.
I should also add Ward v. Gatti is my favorite trilogy and Ricky Hatton was also fun to watch.

Manny Pacquiao was amazing. I just wish his first fight with Mayweather had taken place about six years earlier.

I loved the Hagler vs. Hearns fight for as long as it lasted. Toe to toe madness.

Ward vs. Gatti was insane.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I grew up in an age where guys in sports at least sometimes showed a little class or at least a bit of style (at least in public). I always thought Tyson was a thug. I dont follow the sport but I know I could never cheer for tyson. Maybe if I followed it I would like the other guy less but that is not much of a criteria.

Reactions: Speak Easy
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Not at all interested in these Paul exhibition bouts. Sure, he’s trained & has the courage to even step in the ring which is rare. But, he is not a true fighter that goes up against real competition in his prime & as @LotusEater has already mentioned…is a douche.

I was always partial to Marvelous Marvin Hagler. He should’ve pressed Sugar Ray more, but I think he got robbed in that bout. Boxing is a shell of its former great self. ☕

Pip'n'Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2022
I'd love to see Tyson knock him out but I doubt that'll happen.

Always enjoyed watching Hagler, Duran, Leonard and Hearns. Nigel Benn as well.
Nigel Benn? One of these things is not like the other. He was a good boxer, but doesn’t have the resume of the big four you mentioned. Also, Gerald Mclellan knocked him outta the ring in the first round and would’ve won that fight if not for the unfortunate blood clot in his brain. That guy threw the heaviest body shots I have ever seen, annihilated Julian Jackson, twice.

Reactions: Speak Easy

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Go Tyson, but it’s fixed. Favourite: George Chuvalo. Greatest: Muhammad Ali. P4P All Time Champ: Sugar Ray Robinson, no question. Best KO: Jersey Joe Walcott on Ezzard Charles. Best name: Dick Tiger.
I listed Robinson too.

Had to search for that Walcott KO..Wow!
Walcotts arms and shoulders were massive. Looks like he packed plenty of power. Very good KO - right in the middle of the ring.
I liked at the introductions, the narrator said " Walcott claims he is 37 years old". 😆

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have a soft spot Tyson, so he he does wreck Paul.
He doesn't look that out of shape, Day 1 sparring.

One of my college student employees fought Tyson in an exhibition amateur bout back in the early 80's. This kid was a super-heavyweight Olympics alternate, about 6' 5", 275 pounds or so. He went three rounds with Tyson, didn't know who he was back then. He said he had never been scared in the ring until that fight.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
The irony here is that Paul is attempting to hack the system using Ali's initial strategy. When Ali (then Cassius Clay) came into the game, he did so without a modicum of respect from other boxers, despite his Olympic showing. Archie Moore even jumped in the ring against him because he wanted to shut the kid up. Ali stirred up the community, but he also saved the sport by sensationalizing it and making people pay attention again. The same is essentially happening here. No matter who loses, boxing wins because they get new viewers.

I'd argue that George Foreman is the GOAT - just take a peep at both his record and his age, given the challengers he faced. My  favorite, however, is Sonny Liston [Or as Ali named him, the Big Ugly Bear], the gangster-turned-world champion who was shunned by the whole world despite his desire to participate legitimately in the boxing world. He lied about his age (nobody knows exactly when he was born, but he may have been in his 50's while facing a prime Muhammad Ali) and his comeback story was derailed by a last second health scare. There's a book entitled The Murder of Sonny Liston that I can't recommend highly enough.

Last edited: