PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Agreed. Even in an uneventful fight you can expect to swing hundreds of times and take dozens, if not hundreds, of hits. In that sense, Tyson is fighting two opponents: Paul, and Father Time.

Tyson is looking great in recent videos, but he was also seen with a cane in the not-so-distant past. For him, this fight is a blessing because it provides the motivation to get back in fighting shape and to feel young again. He gets that even if he doesn't win, but he can revel in it if he does.

For Paul, it's all plus too. If he wins, he'll always be able to say he beat Tyson, even if there is an asterisk following that statement. But if he loses, he'll be able to say, "Well of course I lost! It's Mike mutha fuggin Tyson!" His name still grows like a Chia Pet.
He had a cane? Blimey he must be even more knackered than I realised. I know he is a prodigious pot head as well, so that won't help him either. I fear poor Mike could be in for a humiliating night at the hands of a man he would have annihilated even ten years ago.

Reactions: jbfrady

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
I've watched most of Paul's fights. He has a very limited skill set. He tends to dive in low and throw overhand bombs that he lands occasionally. Tyson has a lethal uppercut. Do the math. If Paul makes it through the first round I'll be amazed.

Reactions: anotherbob

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia
Guys it is highly unlikely Tyson will win this fight. He is nearly 60. Not to have a pop at anyone that age, but it is just the truth. We see snap shots of Tyson hitting the bags and that looks good. But that is just a 20 second burst. He will do that against that little fuckdog Paul, and will then be knackered, and get picked off.
1qm3mq.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have a soft spot Tyson, so he he does wreck Paul.
He doesn't look that out of shape, Day 1 sparring.

One of my college student employees fought Tyson in an exhibition amateur bout back in the early 80's. This kid was a super-heavyweight Olympics alternate, about 6' 5", 275 pounds or so. He went three rounds with Tyson, didn't know who he was back then. He said he had never been scared in the ring until that fight.
impressed that he went three rounds. Tyson fought like a killer, like he wasn't trying to win, but was trying to survive by wrecking the other person for life.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Having done a bit of boxing myself I have the utmost respect for anyone going into a fighting ring, whoever they are, whatever they achieve, even if nothing at all ever. There's a camaraderie in the fighting sports I've never seen elsewhere.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Always cheered for any one fighting Ali. His hand holds behind the neck always turned me off, he should have lost enough points to loose any fight. Rope a dope tactic was not boxing. The only thing he had going for him was able to take a body punch and long reach.

• Haha
Reactions: Pip'n'Piper

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Always cheered for any one fighting Ali. His hand holds behind the neck always turned me off, he should have lost enough points to loose any fight. Rope a dope tactic was not boxing. The only thing he had going for him was able to take a body punch and long reach.
So, Ali was not a good boxer?

cademars53

Lurker
Mar 24, 2024
Edmonton
Joke of a fight. Tyson wins either way. If he loses Paul will be ridiculed for beating an old, retired fighter. If he wins Paul will be ridiculed for being beat by an old, retired fighter.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Word is they are going to use headgear and 18 ounce gloves.

Sigh.
Update: no headgear, 16 ounce gloves, and no referees. So KO or TKO only.

Yes, it's a farce. A free farce if you have Netflix. No rigged PPV or Don King.

I echo a few comments here. And Ali was the greatest with the Sweet Science and mind games. Even Mike bowed before him, took a few intimidation plays from the book and was beaten only by himself. Sigh.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Probably gonna be another rigged fight. If not, I hope Tyson beats the shit outta him. He's a snot nosed lil brat. Boxing for a long time has been unwatchable unfortunately due to refs, and judges being paid off. Even fighters agreeing to take a fall. Ill watch it anyways but I won't be on DraftKings.