Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I am currently reading William Gaddis’ A Frolic of His Own, a much more accessible and entertaining specimen of post-modernism than Gravity’s Rainbow, which I put down after reading the first 150 pages or so, I may return to GR in the future, however.

1691037726382.jpg

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I am currently reading William Gaddis’ A Frolic of His Own, a much more accessible and entertaining specimen of post-modernism than Gravity’s Rainbow, which I put down after reading the first 150 pages or so, I may return to GR in the future, however.

View attachment 237455

I'm interested in your thoughts on this one when you finish! Have you read JR or Recognitions?

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Genre+Hopping+%281%29.jpg
This one has a chapter depicting tobacco work--specifically burley work--mostly a negative portrayal, though I suspect with some realism, including kids getting nicotine poisoning in the fields.

I'm also about to finish:

1ad6cab60800123c176aa92e40374f71adbdbbf3.jpg

Reactions: autumnfog and BCF

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I'm interested in your thoughts on this one when you finish! Have you read JR or Recognitions?
So far, I’m enjoying it. I‘m about a third of the way through and it reads more like a play than a novel, as I understand most if not all of his novels do—90% dialogue, plus there is a separate play and a deposition transcript within the novel. It satirizes litigation and I chose to read it because of my background as a litigator. It’s my first venture into Gaddis. I will be happy to follow up with you once I finish within the next few days.

seaweed

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2023
Maine
I mostly read fantasy these days, but I have long bouts of horror/suspense too. Just finished the fourth Wheel of Time book and have since tucked into The Assassin’s Apprentice. Enjoying it quite a bit!

Reactions: Kobold

Nitrane84

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2022
Chatham-Kent
Just read Red Rising on a recommendation from my Cousin. Fantastic sci-fi sort of Roman and Hunger Games type of vibes. I'd recommend it as well. 3-1/2 stars!

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I'm interested in your thoughts on this one when you finish! Have you read JR or Recognition?
I finished A Frolic of His Own today. Without giving away the plot and sub-plots--like a Kafka novel--the opening sentence pretty much sums up the principal theme of the book: "Justice? -- You get justice in the next world, in this world you have the law," While it’s largely a critique of the legal profession and the legal system and to some extent, American culture in general, the novel is blended with a great deal of humor and irony which I found quite entertaining. I should mention, however, that Gaddis’ style of writing continuous dialogue without attribution takes some getting used to, and that parts of the book might seem excessive, such as including several acts of a play written by the protagonist, a lengthy deposition transcript, jury instructions and several lengthy court opinions replete with case citations (all of which could have easily been summarized rather than set forth verbatim), it’s nevertheless, well worth the read in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BCF

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Your observation about Gaddis' unique style of writing continuous dialogue without attribution is spot on. It can be an acquired taste but also contributes to the distinctiveness of his work. Additionally, your point about certain parts of the book being excessive, like verbatim court opinions and legal documents, highlights the meticulous detail Gaddis brings to his writing, which some readers may appreciate more than others.
Gaddis was no doubt meticulous and although not trained in the law, he clearly did his homework on the subject before embarking on this novel, notwithstanding some minor legal inaccuracies and a few obvious ethical faux pas' committed by the law firm and attorney representing the adversaries in the protagonist, Oscar's, lawsuit, which I chalked up to poetic license. Additionally, despite the absence of significant narrative, Gaddis did an excellent job of developing the characters through dialogue alone, much like a playwright would do.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Gaddis was no doubt meticulous and although not trained in the law, he clearly did his homework on the subject before embarking on this novel, notwithstanding some minor legal inaccuracies and a few obvious ethical faux pas' committed by the law firm and attorney representing the adversaries in the protagonist, Oscar's, lawsuit, which I chalked up to poetic license. Additionally, despite the absence of significant narrative, Gaddis did an excellent job of developing the characters through dialogue alone, much like a playwright would do.
I neglected to mention the obvious, improbable ethical violations of Oscar's own attorney and his father, but chalked those up to poetic license as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.