PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
In my no name wormy carved billiard, some c1986 Amphora Full Aroma Original from the pouch that has been open since then. One of the early tobaccos I purchased when I first dabbled with the pipe in college (yes that long ago). Also, my first Raspberry Pi came in the mail today..at long last I have a project that will require/make use of these interesting little computers.
IMG_7206.jpg

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
A little late night pipe under the streetlight as I ponder what might make a good "All day, anytime" blend. First I ran through a cob of Cornell & Diehl Pegasus, now I've got it loaded up with Prince Albert. It's a cob so I don't particularly mind smoking it twice in the same day without giving it a rest in between.puffy

View attachment 305072

I've got my favorite Virginia, Burley, and English blends that I smoke regularly: Orlik Golden Sliced, Haunted Bookshop, and Early Morning Pipe. I really love them all, but none are something I'd want to smoke all day every day. Golden Sliced is a bit bright and Haunted Bookshop and EMP are bit dark, so I've been looking for something right in the middle between Golden Sliced and Haunted Bookshop that would be an easygoing all day blend.

For a long time I thought Carter Hall was that blend, but lately I've been noticing a little astringent chemical note from it that I never seemed to notice when I was less intimately familiar with the blend; and the same goes for Prince Albert. Pegasus is a nice clean smoke with no chemical notes, but I find all of C&Ds blends to have a few too many rough edges and be a little too harsh on the throat to smoke all day.

So what's next to try? I've been giving Gawith Hoggarth's Best Brown #2 a try and it's got a good flavor profile, though a bit strong in the Vitamin N department for me to smoke all day and the Virginias are a little more dominant than I'd like. I don't mind a bit of Virginia, but I think I'd prefer something more burley forward but still smooth without much in the way of rough edges.

I've got a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh regular on the way from SmokingPipes to give a go, which I'm rather hopeful about since I've read that it doesn't have that chemical note I've been noticing in Carter Hall and Prince Albert lately, but I'd certainly be open to suggestions for other Burley forward all day blends to give a try!
Another suggestion would be Winchester from c&d. It’s not quite as harsh as Pegasus or Haunted Bookshop. It’s a very easygoing all day blend that’s affordable and readily available. Pegasus is my go-to all day but I really enjoy Winchester as well.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Another suggestion would be Winchester from c&d. It’s not quite as harsh as Pegasus or Haunted Bookshop. It’s a very easygoing all day blend that’s affordable and readily available. Pegasus is my go-to all day but I really enjoy Winchester as well.
@LeafErikson I was smoking C&D Winchester at the Battle of Nantwich re-enactment 2023; smoked nearly a full packet. I was smoking 1792 Flake at this year's event! Dad says at Cromford & Nantwich I got more of the pipe than the person smoking it:)

Attachments

• Dan Nantwich.jpg
    Dan Nantwich.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 3

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually have some Winchester and like the flavor quite a bit, but alas it gives me a pretty sore throat every time I smoke it like almost all of C&D's blends do unless I drink a throat coating beverage while smoking them. I don't know what it is about C&D's Virginias and Burleys, but they all seem to really rough up my throat.

For now I've got a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh regular (which may or may not be vinegar bombed from what I've been reading about the current Danish production version of Sir Walter Raleigh lately) and an ounce sample of Sutliff Ready Rubbed Match on the way to try. I may have to dig out my old Ball jar of Granger to try again as well.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs and sugar snap peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm a quarter of the way through this bowl of Seattle Pipe Club Down Yonder in a straight black 1963 Dunhill LBS Shell 4S billiard with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Watching the Braves-Marlins game and the scampers in the playpen. Sam the Scamp jumped up to the arm of my chair while I was eating chicken legs. I told her this is not cat food, but she wanted to find out if I was lying or not.
Dunhill_1963_LBS_billiard.jpg

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
In the words of Monty Python .... 'And now for something completely different!'. I came across this Kaywoodie pipe my wife gave me the other Christmas. It has a stinger and all sorts of other stuff going on but I thought what the hell I'll take it out for a test drive. Well all I can say is that it was interesting. I forgot that briar burns so hot and is a different animal to what I am used to using. I blasted through a bunch of Ennerdale Flake and some Broken Flake No: 7 since I discovered yet another jar of the stuff in a cupboard. I think I'll give that whole Kaywoodie scene a miss for another year or so. Anyone have any ideas how old this pipe might be?

View attachment 305214
It's probably from 1936 to 1947. The clover leaf in the white dot would make it one of the better pipes they had to offer. That's my best guess without seeing the stinger and shape number. Very nice pipe.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
2011 Navy Rolls in my 1978 ODA Root Briar.

IMG-1212.png

Status
Not open for further replies.