PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

depriest1022

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 6, 2021
Arkansas
www.researchgate.net
I’m planning my first pipe without my buddy, Bentley. I think that dog liked being around the pipe smoke as much as I like making it.

It will probably be Red Odessa from C&D in my MM wizard Cobbit. He always stayed a little closer when I was exuding Latakia.

Oh, I just picked up a batch of smokable seconds from MM. They are available again.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after four wonderful half pound cheeseburgers with a small plate of freshly made hand cut fries for dinner. I'm near the last quarter of this bowl of year 2014 Dunhill Flake in a straight smooth 1960 Dunhill DR 137 group 4 root briar canted dublin with a tapered black vulcanite stem. M'lady has started making desserts, which will be oatmeal raisin cookies, and chocolate chip with pecan cookies. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Watching the Cubs-Mets game while waiting for the Braves-Mariners game after the bottom of the hour.
Dunhill_Birthyear-Left.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I just finished the Sutliffe 507C in the Vauen Olaf bent egg this afternoon. This batch if 507C burns slower which is very good but I am noticing the nicotine content 'seems to be' 2-3x higher than normal. I was only able to smoke it for short time periods. Maybe it will calm down with age.
Age may not help the burn rate, but it certainly improves the blend after five years in this manner: more matured citrus, less grass, much less acidity, and a small hint of darker fruit enters the picture. I like it fresh, but I only smoke it aged. Unless it's heavily topped, bright Va.s always benefit from the aging process; more so than any other varietal.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Age may not help the burn rate, but it certainly improves the blend after five years in this manner: more matured citrus, less grass, much less acidity, and a small hint of darker fruit enters the picture. I like it fresh, but I only smoke it aged. Unless it's heavily topped, bright Va.s always benefit from the aging process; more so than any other varietal.
Thanks Jim. Unfortunately, its not going to last long enough to age significantly at the rate i smoke. I will have to buy more to cellar at some point. My concern was what seems to be extra nicotine in this batch and I was a heavy cigarette smoker for years. I noticed it right away.

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I’m planning my first pipe without my buddy, Bentley. I think that dog liked being around the pipe smoke as much as I like making it.

It will probably be Red Odessa from C&D in my MM wizard Cobbit. He always stayed a little closer when I was exuding Latakia.

Oh, I just picked up a batch of smokable seconds from MM. They are available again.
If you’re inferring that Bentley is no longer with you, my sincere condolences. Losing a dog is a very difficult time. They don’t call them Man’s Best Friend loosely. You will forever cherish the memories with Bentley and your pipe!

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
McC 40th in my BST oval shanked billiard.

IMG-1220.png

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Had OGS in a Stefano rhodesian, then eked out a 345-318 Scrabble victory versus wifey. Counting the minutes now...Passover ends in an hour, then it's chametz time! For now, a guacamole appetizer will have to do. Love this blend to begin with, but this was one of the best smokes I've ever had. 9.6/10

Bird report: House finch, California scrub-jay, Steller's jay, California quail, California towhee, Dark-eyed junco, White-crowned sparrow, Mountain chickadee, Western bluebird, Common raven, Red-tailed hawk, and Mourning dove.

stefano.jpg

Finished trimming the bushes with Father Dempsey
Is that code for something? 🤫

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.