PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I prefer new build ( no brainer framing) when I’m feeling lazy and fine custom finish work ,panels ,pillars ,and such when I’m not. I mostly want to work in my shop and make custom pieces and oversee the younger men scratch their heads and install them from an easy chair in the corner. There are not many fine tradesman around here so there is plenty of BS work I can turn away from and get into jobs that I like.Even if I don’t like the job the scarcity in the market allows me to charge enough to keep me interested , nothing against the rich more power to them they can afford it and we both end up happy and my men got mouths to feed and the price of a gallon of milk these days is outrageous the gas to get to and from these jobs in the mountains too. But hey it’s a living…

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I forgot to add that for over 20 years I did private lending and it was a money maker. People needed short term loans to re do a house or condo and then flip it . The loans were supposed to be 1 year notes and the interest was 14%. Since no banks were involved we were always in first position if something needed to be foreclosed but in all my years doing it, that never happened.

One of my favorite deals was when I took 200,000.00 out of my line of credit on my house at 4%, I gave it to my guy who got me 14% so for over 3 years I got a check of 1666.66 every month and the bank was never the wiser. Using their money and getting paid for it was one of my better ideas. Yes they would have been pissed if they found out but they never did their due diligence. I had so much equity in my house they never looked at me as they were paid on time every month.
When the finacial crash of 2008 happened I had a guy who had borrowed 200,000.00 at 16.5%. It was the highest interest rate I had ever seen. It was supposed to be the usual 1 year note but he got jammed up and couldn't get out if his deal. The poor prick had to pay me that 16.5% for almost 4 years. There were times when I thought he would just say screw it and go the foreclosure route but he never did. I have no idea what the deal was about, condos, houses, business, not a clue as all I cared about was getting his check every month. Plus it was so long ago I could never remember.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I forgot to add that for over 20 years I did private lending and it was a money maker. People needed short term loans to re do a house or condo and then flip it . The loans were supposed to be 1 year notes and the interest was 14%. Since no banks were involved we were always in first position if something needed to be foreclosed but in all my years doing it, that never happened.

One of my favorite deals was when I took 200,000.00 out of my line of credit on my house at 4%, I gave it to my guy who got me 14% so for over 3 years I got a check of 1666.66 every month and the bank was never the wiser. Using their money and getting paid for it was one of my better ideas. Yes they would have been pissed if they found out but they never did their due diligence. I had so much equity in my house they never looked at me as they were paid on time every month.
When the finacial crash of 2008 happened I had a guy who had borrowed 200,000.00 at 16.5%. It was the highest interest rate I had ever seen. It was supposed to be the usual 1 year note but he got jammed up and couldn't get out if his deal. The poor prick had to pay me that 16.5% for almost 4 years. There were times when I thought he would just say screw it and go the foreclosure route but he never did. I have no idea what the deal was about, condos, houses, business, not a clue as all I cared about was getting his check every month. Plus it was so long ago I could never remember.

The bank makes money by using your money.. Fair is fair. Haha

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Currently a street Cop working on a second retirement after 29 years. Worked for a larger municipality formerly as a SWAT sniper, EOD Tech and Patrol K9 handler. I’m 1.5 years out from obtaining that second pension and I’m done!
Thank you for your service , don’t let the Profane get you down

Reactions: Reggie and edger
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I prefer new build ( no brainer framing) when I’m feeling lazy and fine custom finish work ,panels ,pillars ,and such when I’m not. I mostly want to work in my shop and make custom pieces and oversee the younger men scratch their heads and install them from an easy chair in the corner. There are not many fine tradesman around here so there is plenty of BS work I can turn away from and get into jobs that I like.Even if I don’t like the job the scarcity in the market allows me to charge enough to keep me interested , nothing against the rich more power to them they can afford it and we both end up happy and my men got mouths to feed and the price of a gallon of milk these days is outrageous the gas to get to and from these jobs in the mountains too. But hey it’s a living…
Gas and working in the mountains is rough right now. It's costing me an arm and a leg to haul my equipment and run it. Still would rather be working on the side of a mountain than in an office though.

Reactions: vosBghos

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
I was a gofer as a youngster and spent two years at a tech learning building. Enjoyed it but left and joined the military. Still enjoying woodworking and building around the house.

Reactions: vosBghos

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC

Did I mention I work for the IRS? Lol

Reactions: edger and vosBghos

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Currently a street Cop working on a second retirement after 29 years. Worked for a larger municipality formerly as a SWAT sniper, EOD Tech and Patrol K9 handler. I’m 1.5 years out from obtaining that second pension and I’m done!
Thank you for your service.

Reactions: edger