Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the war all the boys came home and their eyes widened when they stepped their feet back on their farms. The amount of corn that needed to be shucked before it went to market had multiplied tenfold.

By the time Dixon finally invented the auto-corn-shucker-matic peoples’ tastes had moved onto more indulgent vegetables like sprouts and cabbage. Great Papi Long John ended up purchasing 5,000 for a whopping $5 after the great corn crash.

I never heard what happened to Dixon, heck he’s probably still waiting for the corn market to come back around to this day. I do know that Great Papi Long John couldn’t tell the different between cabbage, corn, or even celery for that matter, and he’s the one that bought 5,000 acres for 5 dollars American.

Heck, it’s all the same anyway once you steam it, you know?

I actually had an old timer tell me that people should just buy land like he did. "Back in 1954 I bought 2500 acres of woodlands for $1500, and paid for it all by working with the timber company. If I did it, anyone can."
I would try to explain that land isn't that cheap anymore, but he kept throwing inflation prices at me like Briar Lee does for Kaywoodies. There are so many more dynamics than just cabbage in 1954 and now.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
After the war all the boys came home and their eyes widened when they stepped their feet back on their farms. The amount of corn that needed to be shucked before it went to market had multiplied tenfold.

By the time Dixon finally invented the auto-corn-shucker-matic peoples’ tastes had moved onto more indulgent vegetables like sprouts and cabbage. Great Papi Long John ended up purchasing 5,000 for a whopping $5 after the great corn crash.

I never heard what happened to Dixon, heck he’s probably still waiting for the corn market to come back around to this day. I do know that Great Papi Long John couldn’t tell the different between cabbage, corn, or even celery for that matter, and he’s the one that bought 5,000 acres for 5 dollars American.

Heck, it’s all the same anyway once you steam it, you know?

Tom T Hall was an absolute genius, and I consider The Homecoming one of his finest works.

(No they don’t ever call em’ beer joints, night clubs are the places where I work

You meet a lot of people there, and no there ain’t no chance of gettin’ hurt)

I have tried to write songs and I can’t do it.

If I did I’d never be able to write Homecoming, Ode to Forty Dollars, Old Dogs and Children, Week in a Country Jail, or Ravishing Ruby, and all the others.

There’s not one Tom T Hall song that can’t be sung in in front of your mother, or that she’d not agree with.

Reactions: LeafErikson

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Tom T Hall was an absolute genius, and I consider The Homecoming one of his finest works.

(No they don’t ever call em’ beer joints, night clubs are the places where I work

If I did I’d never be able to write Homecoming, Ode to Forty Dollars, Old Dogs and Children, Week in a Country Jail, or Ravishing Ruby, and all the others.

There’s not one Tom T Hall song that can’t be sung in in front of your mother, or that she’d not agree with.
Agreed. Tom T. Hall is one of my favorite country artists. I listen to him all the time.

Reactions: Briar Lee

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I was given a jar of White Owl cigars years ago. It was I believe a promotional item for something.

The top was shrink wrapped to the bottom of the jar. Probably from the late 1960’s early 1970’s.

I placed them in a humidor as they were a little dry. They smoked ok and didn’t taste too bad. They weren’t top of the line cigars, but did taste better than most of the convenience cigars.

I think may still have some of those laying around. Maybe I’ll try one later today.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon

Here’s one of my songs that might tickle your fancy. It involves a manual truck, my grandfather, and has mentions of hay and the weather. It’s lyrically very on brand with Briar Lee.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Until 1962 the more expensive brands of American cigars were made of “clear Havana” imported leaf.
I'm not sure that's actually true ... I have never heard the term "clear Havana" ...
White owls were made of Dominican and Nicaraguan filler. While machine made, they were made of all tobacco originally. And they became the largest seller of cigars at one time...

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
One thing all held in common was a passion for education, and progress.,
If it were a college education, then you can bet your mamma’s best turtleneck sweater that these men knew as much as a tick on a petrified log. The real men who made this country dressed in bear skins and hunkered down in the mountains with nothing more than a 50 caliber Hawken, some 2X black powder and a good long hunting knife. These men knew what an education was and only survived because they had one. They knew the difference between daylight and moonlight and could find their way home with nothing more than their eyesight and nose.

This country was built by men like them who understood what it means to be free and not chained to some college education that keeps you conformed to the notions of men who…. Don’t smoke Whit Owl cigars.

Teachers… if they have a college education chances are they aren’t worth their weight in sand. And that goes for any of them ones with a graduate or doctoral degree. No, a real educated man knows the value of a good White Owl cigar and saving money so they can have some left to buy some land.

• Haha
Reactions: LeafErikson

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
If it were a college education, then you can bet your mamma’s best turtleneck sweater that these men knew as much as a tick on a petrified log. The real men who made this country dressed in bear skins and hunkered down in the mountains with nothing more than a 50 caliber Hawken, some 2X black powder and a good long hunting knife. These men knew what an education was and only survived because they had one. They knew the difference between daylight and moonlight and could find their way home with nothing more than their eyesight and nose.

This country was built by men like them who understood what it means to be free and not chained to some college education that keeps you conformed to the notions of men who…. Don’t smoke Whit Owl cigars.

Teachers… if they have a college education chances are they aren’t worth their weight in sand. And that goes for any of them ones with a graduate or doctoral degree. No, a real educated man knows the value of a good White Owl cigar and saving money so they can have some left to buy some land.

Wow ! Quite a few non-sequitors here but your point as I understand it is valid ... that a solid education is vital but whether a 'collage' degree provides one is debatable. Most of the 'settlors' were well read. A grammar school education in those times was roughly equivalent to the first or second year of college today. Look up old (from that time) eighth grade comprehensive exams and see if you think they would be passable by today's yutes.
1707931673456.png

• Love
Reactions: telescopes
Screw a buncha college educated idiots...
For legal advice, I go to my Uncle Verne's trailer, which is stacked on top of Great Aunty Mimi's trailer. He taught himself law in prison. He charges me one White Owl an hour... not the kinda White Owl you're thinkin' bout. Ha ha

Then, when I get sick, I just turn to the guy who runs the vitamin store outa the storage building behind the Piggly Wiggly. Saves me quite a few buck. He even does surgery in the van on cinder blocks next to his building. Just gotta run the cats out first.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I actually had an old timer tell me that people should just buy land like he did. "Back in 1954 I bought 2500 acres of woodlands for $1500, and paid for it all by working with the timber company. If I did it, anyone can."
I would try to explain that land isn't that cheap anymore, but he kept throwing inflation prices at me like Briar Lee does for Kaywoodies. There are so many more dynamics than just cabbage in 1954 and now.
Modern America has so many wealthy people working people can’t afford undeveloped land today.

In 1954 $1,500 was the price of a new Chevy.

The typical Chevy today is about $40,000 and they sell lots of Chevies.

$1,500 would buy 2500 acres of timberland in 1954, and today $40,000 won’t buy 20 acres.
I'm not sure that's actually true ... I have never heard the term "clear Havana" ...
White owls were made of Dominican and Nicaraguan filler. While machine made, they were made of all tobacco originally. And they became the largest seller of cigars at one time...

Xxxx

The oldest cigar company in Key West

Fleeing the revolt against Spain in 1868, Cubans originally migrated to Key West and brought the Havana cigar business with them. These cigar makers imported tobacco leaf from Cuba and started rolling. Their product was called "Clear Havana" because little tax was demanded by Spain for raw leaf product compared to finished cigars; "clear" meaning "without tax due". And with that benefit, they began producing Havana cigars, from Havana leaf, rolled by Cuban rollers in Key West. In 1880 the young American tobacco business came to Key West when Sam Seidenberg built and opened a plant in Key West to make Clear Havana's to supplement his domestic cigar business. Factories were built where Cuban immigrants lived and worked and taught their skills to more than one generation of rollers. Demand increased and, by the mid-1880's, Key West reached a record of 62 million cigars shipped annually.

Xxxxx

If the embargo ever fully lifts, we’ll see Clear Havanas and Cuban blend cigars again.

All tobacco is dependent on climate and soil conditions but cigars to the greatest degree.

The most expensive wrapper leaf is raised under shade in Connecticut.

Last edited:

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Screw a buncha college educated idiots...
For legal advice, I go to my Uncle Verne's trailer, which is stacked on top of Great Aunty Mimi's trailer. He taught himself law in prison. He charges me one White Owl an hour... not the kinda White Owl you're thinkin' bout. Ha ha

Then, when I get sick, I just turn to the guy who runs the vitamin store outa the storage building behind the Piggly Wiggly. Saves me quite a few buck. He even does surgery in the van on cinder blocks next to his building. Just gotta run the cats out first.
Touche !

1707933304553.png

Status
Not open for further replies.