PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Thnx Dr. for posting, I'll try one. I don't remember ever having one.
kindly
Mike

ps-hope your not joking, a lot of the humor here goes over my head
Sir: you are now in the Twilight Zone and are participating in a new drinking game. Although the rules are not clear, I assure you that you are well on your way to getting toasted. 😂.

Last edited:
Look at my new shoes. They're as good as any Italian handmade ones. Plus, I can shower in them. You can't do that in handmade leather.
Pin by Fayek Ragheb on Men Sandals | Blue flip flops, Flip flops, Mens  sandals

telescopes

if you don’t like beef you don’t like hamburger or prime rib either one.

The taste is similar.
The Honda CRV is every bit as good as a Rolls Royce. It is probably more dependable and what’s more, when it does break down, it is much easier to repair, get parts, and is much cheaper. The fact that it has a bumpy transmission shouldn’t deter anyone. Not everyone prefers a smooth glass like ride anyway.

It’s the same with suits. The man who wears a $1000 suit wouldn’t know the difference between an off the rack suit at Macys or even a good rented Tuxedo if he were blindfolded. The folks up there in 5th Avenue didn’t make their money eating Italian spaghetti with prime rib mixed in the meat sauce. They know how to market a suit.

This is why White Owl cigars are the $1000 suits of the cigar world. There’s a reason every thing tastes like chicken.

You lost me. Obviously it is easy to say that someone who wears a $1000 suit wouldn't know off the rack... but someone who wears nice clothes, would most likely also have some cheap ones; whereas, someone who can't afford one would have no idea.

And... no one buys a RR because of the way it drives.

I thought that this was all just in humor. I've had a White Owl, and I can taste the cardboard. I've also had a few Cubans... ummmm.... no similarity.

In High school, before everyone got all "woke" the phrase, "you smoke White Owls," was a derogatory euphemism for fellacio, usually made to start a fight. I only mention it because I remember it every time I see a White Owl advertisement, or see the words. I'm not sure where exactly it started, but I do remember hearing older men make the statement. They weren't even that popular among less wealthy men back in the day.

Reactions: Briar Lee

telescopes

. I've had a White Owl, and I can taste the cardboard.
It‘s important to remember that our grandparents‘ parents didn’t have cardboard. They had to carry everything and transport everything in wood crates. Often, this meant extra weight and sometimes getting a hand full of splinters. White Owls don’t have that problem. There is absolutely no wood in that finely made machined cigar. Even a Terminator would have trouble knowing the difference between a Good White Owl and a Cohiba. And Arnold knows a thing or two about nice things. A thousand dollar suit might cost a thousand dollars but a pound of hamburger doesn’t weigh even a gram more than a pound of Prime Rib.

A discerning hobo is really just a hobo who has one too many White Owl classics. He may sleep in a cardboard box but his suits are all tailored by his own hands.

My grandparents had cardboard. It became popular in the US in the 1880's. Maybe my Great Great Grandparents... But, anyways...

Carry on with your hobo luxuries, ha ha. Tell them all that boiled corn tastes like caviar for all I care, ha ha. But, I don't think one would win over very many converts in a cigar lounge with a box of White Owls.

telescopes

The best wagon wheels that carried our brave forefathers across Indian lands and dangerous mountain passes all were made of wood. But every one of those wheels had an iron rim. But you can be sure there wasn’t a cardboard box or a White Owl cigar to be found anywhere in their cargo holds. They didn’t wear fancy suits either, but you can be sure that had there been a Macys somewhere along the way, they would have lined right up to get a well-made off the rack suit that would have been finer than anything made in the main streets of New York City.

White Owl Cigars are like those iron rimmed wheels. They get you where you need to be, you know.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Yes the wagon wheels of the covered wagons were made of wood, but the pioneers back then were probably smoking Marsh Wheeling Stogies. Still a good smoke. Accept no substitutes! nnnn
View attachment 288429
That's the brand Clint Eastwood brought to Italy to film The Good, The Bad and The Ugly ... he only had the one box so he cut them in half to get through all the scenes that required smoking. Tasty Cigars.

telescopes

Yes the wagon wheels of the covered wagons were made of wood, but the pioneers back then were probably smoking Marsh Wheeling Stogies. Still a good smoke. Accept no substitutes! nnnn
View attachment 288429
That's the brand Clint Eastwood brought to Italy to film The Good, The Bad and The Ugly ... he only had the one box so he cut them in half to get through all the scenes that required smoking. Tasty Cigars.
Both of you get to take a shot.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
When I smoked cigars, I tried all of the drugstore cheepies mentioned above. There used to be a tobacco wholesaler on my way to work so I could get boxes at wholesale prices. Of all of them, my favorite, which is still available was the Topper Corona Grande ... Connecticut and Sumatran maduro wrapper with Dominican short filler. I believe it is now made with Dominican and Honduran short filler. Very, Very tasty and recommended. Other cigar smokers used to think I smoked Cubans and were surprised to learn it was a Connecticut cigar. Smelled nice too so nonsmokers didn't mind as much.
1707922439537.png

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Muniemakers were short filler and had an awful construction and burn line, but the broadleaf wrapper was spicy, deep, rich and aromatic. Apparently after F.D. Grave & Sons shut down, the production switched to a brand called Tuscarora which, retailers claim, are identical to Muniemakers. I figure it's worth trying, at least for nostalgia's sake.

Reactions: telescopes

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
My grandparents had cardboard. It became popular in the US in the 1880's. Maybe my Great Great Grandparents... But, anyways...

Carry on with your hobo luxuries, ha ha. Tell them all that boiled corn tastes like caviar for all I care, ha ha. But, I don't think one would win over very many converts in a cigar lounge with a box of White Owls.
After the war, all the boys came home and their eyes widened when they stepped their feet back on their farms. The amount of corn that needed to be shucked before it went to market had multiplied tenfold.

By the time Dixon finally invented the auto-corn-shucker-matic peoples’ tastes had moved onto more indulgent vegetables like sprouts and cabbage. Great Papi Long John ended up purchasing 5,000 for a whopping $5 after the great corn crash.

I never heard what happened to Dixon, heck he’s probably still waiting for the corn market to come back around to this day. I do know that Great Papi Long John couldn’t tell the difference between cabbage, corn, or even celery for that matter, and he’s the one that bought 5,000 acres for 5 dollars American.

Heck, it’s all the same anyway once you steam it, you know?

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

Where I grew up, the only men who smoked cigars were the distinguished, respected, wise old owls. That might be the origin of the name of the cigar.

I have no photos of my father’s father he’s not smoking a cigar. What brand I have no idea.

As has been noted, machine made cigars were 100% tobacco until the invention of homegenized tobacco leaf. Even now the more expensive American cigars only have an HTL binder.

Until 1962 the more expensive brands of American cigars were made of “clear Havana” imported leaf.

All of those men who smoked cigars were outstanding members of the community. They sat on the school boards, owned the businesses, were on city and county boards and offices, were in the legislature, and we looked up to them, and they all wore nice, conventional hats of the current style. Their suits were all soft and tailored, their watches gleamed, and their shoes shined. They drove Lincolns, Cadillacs, Buicks, Oldsmobiles, and Chryslers.

One thing all held in common was a passion for education, and progress.

Which, are about the same, when you think about it.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Where I grew up, the only men who smoked cigars were the distinguished, respected, wise old owls. That might be the origin of the name of the cigar.

I have no photos of my father’s father he’s not smoking a cigar. What brand I have no idea.

As has been noted, machine made cigars were 100% tobacco until the invention of homegenized tobacco leaf. Even now the more expensive American cigars only have an HTL binder.

Until 1962 the more expensive brands of American cigars were made of “clear Havana” imported leaf.

All of those men who smoked cigars were outstanding members of the community. They sat on the school boards, owned the businesses, were on city and county boards and offices, were in the legislature, and we looked up to them, and they all wore nice, conventional hats of the current style. Their suits were all soft and tailored, their watches gleamed, and their shoes shined. They drove Lincolns, Cadillacs, Buicks, Oldsmobiles, and Chryslers.

One thing all held in common was a passion for education, and progress.

Which, are about the same, when you think about it.

When I was a boy, I would often come across the white plastic tips from spent White Owl cigars—they were ubiquitous.

• Haha
Reactions: telescopes
Status
Not open for further replies.