PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I know you're being slightly tongue in cheek, telescopes, but there is some truth to what you say. I can't speak to the quality of White Owls, because I have never tried them. But Wheeling Marsh Stogies were a very big deal in my neck of the woods once a upon a time, and though the old Marsh factory has long since closed down, they are still being made to this day. I bought a few at my local cigar shop. Now, were they as good as my hand-rolled cigars? Shit, no. But they were pretty decent for something that cheap, and it was nice to enjoy something with a history to it, I suppose.

If a man can get his pleasure comforts on the cheap, all the more power to him. I'm of the medium pimpin' philosophy, myself; I believe the real trick is to find that happy medium between price and quality. Mediocrity has its virtues.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I know you're being slightly tongue in cheek, telescopes, but there is some truth to what you say. I can't speak to the quality of White Owls, because I have never tried them. But Wheeling Marsh Stogies were a very big deal in my neck of the woods once a upon a time, and though the old Marsh factory has long since closed down, they are still being made to this day. I bought a few at my local cigar shop. Now, were they as good as my hand-rolled cigars? Shit, no. But they were pretty decent for something that cheap, and it was nice to enjoy something with a history to it, I suppose.

If a man can get his pleasure comforts on the cheap, all the more power to him. I'm of the medium pimpin' philosophy, myself; I believe the real trick is to find that happy medium between price and quality. Mediocrity has its virtues.
Amen and so well said. Yes you are right about you know what, but you are indeed right that sometimes, these cigars aren’t half bad. I enjoy them when I visit my dad and he is always thrilled if I bring a box of White Owls or Dutch Masters. I especially enjoy them out on the boat fishing. If a man wants to offer me a $20 handmade cigar, I’ll smoke it. If I have $20 extra in my pocket, I am just as happy to smoke an El Producto.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I am sure you would agree that a good machine made cigar is just as wonderful and probably more tasting than anything out of Havana. Reliable, they burn well, and are made of some of the finest tobaccos anywhere found on earth. They were good enough for a hobo and the men of the open road certainly knew a thing or two about good smokes. Why waste your money when you good get a great tasting White Owl Classic for just 50 cents. And it will taste just as good and your mamma won’t be mad at you for wasting your hard earned money.

And from a distance, the banker won’t know the difference.

I didn’t know there were any other kind of cigars except the White Owl machine made type until I stayed overnight at the Muelbach Hotel in 1973 for the American Royal, with the FFA.

Even Dr Robinson smoked El Producto Queens, and behind him was Junior Watt smoking 15 cent Roi Tans.

There were all those $85 cents to $1.25 cigars on display in a smoke shop down the street.

I discovered Punch and Hoya De Monterey cigars, and Players and Sherman’s cigarettes that night .

As always I asked the clerk what he sold the most of.

High grade cigarettes and hand rolled cigars aren’t really any better tasting , than cheap ones.

They are more luxurious, and worth the cost, if you’ve got the money for luxury.

My Orient Star watch cost twice what my Orient Bambinos cost, and a fraction of my Tudor.

Each watch was worth the price.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
High grade cigarettes and hand rolled cigars aren’t really any better tasting , than cheap ones.

I guessing my palate is much better than yours. My serious cigars, not the ones I smoke simply for the nicotine, must be full of flavor and, most importantly, rolled between the soft, feminine, nubile thighs of a well trained and experienced young lady.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
There’s an argument to be made that candela wrappers are the pinnacle of cigar wrappers. In fact, the original rappers in the 50s wore Panama hats, silky jackets and trousers that ballooned around their snatch shoes and all smoked green cigars. You can’t tell me they didn’t know the color of money.

I love candela wrappers. I really don't understand why they've fallen out of favor. Now White Owls, I think they're the very definition of o.k..

• Love
Reactions: telescopes

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
What the hell does that have to with the price of eggs?

Any cigar is a luxury product made from tobacco. If you were blindfolded you’d be hard pressed to tell much difference between them.

Every machine made short filler cigar today is an engineered tobacco product, that never varies, tastes good, and has a specific formula.

A hand rolled cigar, if it’s good, is a rare treat made from hand rolled leaves by foreign workers who live in squalor and abject poverty, and can’t afford the product they make.

But somebody who didn’t like cigars would gag at any of them.

They are aquired tastes.

If you don’t like beef you don’t like hamburger or prime rib either one.

The taste is similar.

Reactions: Puff nstuff

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
...the quality of the tobacco leaf that remains is simply as good as it gets in even a Cuban or top tier Dominican....
Thnx Dr. for posting, I'll try one. I don't remember ever having one.
kindly
Mike

ps-hope your not joking, a lot of the humor here goes over my head

• Wow
Reactions: telescopes

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I've smoked Garcia Vega Miniatures, intermittently, all my life. They still have a real tobacco wrapper, unlike most mentioned here. If you can manage to smoke them very slowly, they taste quite good. Decent cigar aroma. Smoked aggressively, they're garbage. I don't consider them the equivalent of a premium cigar, but their size and price are useful.

I once acquired a humidor that belonged to my grandfather. Inside were a half dozen dried up Phillies, dating by my estimate to be from the late '40s or early '50s. I decided to dissect one. I swear that the filler, binder, and wrapper were all real tobacco. No homogenized leaf, which I understand was allegedly formulated to enable high-speed machine manufacture. There is no way those Phillies were hand-rolled, so how were they made? Anyone know how, assuming I'm correct--and I know I am?

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I am sure you would agree that a good machine made cigar is just as wonderful and probably more tasting than anything out of Havana. Reliable, they burn well, and are made of some of the finest tobaccos anywhere found on earth. They were good enough for a hobo and the men of the open road certainly knew a thing or two about good smokes. Why waste your money when you good get a great tasting White Owl Classic for just 50 cents. And it will taste just as good and your mamma won’t be mad at you for wasting your hard earned money.

And from a distance, the banker won’t know the difference.
You might be the Briar Lee of cigars.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Pleasure can be found in many forms. Susan asked me what I wanted for my birthday dinner this past weekend, suggesting perhaps, we get it from Miguel’s, a local restaurant that has a duck dish we like and escargot that is prepared differently than most places. I half jokingly said I wanted White Castle belly bombers. We hadn’t had White Castle in close to two years; we got a Crave Case (fifteen regular, fifteen with cheese) and enjoyed them while watching UFC on Saturday. Unfortunately, Miguel’s was closed on Sunday, so the birthday dinner ended up being delicious Italian heroes from a local caterer. Miguel’s would’ve been nicer, but DeFranco and Daughters was still pleasurable.

In the past, one of my favourite cigars was the Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona from Cuba. In the ’90s, it was delicate and complex, with its flavour changing every inch—salty for the first inch, floral and earthy, and so on—a kaleidoscope of flavours and a real joy. They weren’t always easy to find, and could sometimes run forty dollars a stick, even back then, but were worth every penny. On the other end of the spectrum, there’s a short filler cigar (currently available) from the Philippines called Double Happiness. It has a shiny, cheesy label with cheap looking type on the band. Are they complex? No. But, you can get a bundle of fifty for about sixty-six dollars, and they’re decent enough to enjoy on a stroll. They’re surprisingly enjoyable. They’re almost the White Castle of cigars. Or maybe the White Owl as it were.

A turd that has been spray painted gold is still a turd, but it might be the best shit you ever ate. You don’t know until you try.

Status
Not open for further replies.