Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
You could all always take the easy route and have an AB stem made for a 309, I know it's not the same as having an 'actual' 4AB, but it might be quicker and cheaper. Funnily enough, we have some great stem-makers on the forum, naming no names...

I concur completely - I did not read your post prior to posting above. I have a 1905 AB stem that fits a few of my older 309's, and it's much closer to what Rathbone smoked.

marlow-se

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2022
Sweden
I felt the same way. I love my 2021 POTY - I have a Heritage and a Terracotta - but they are not replicas of the 4AB. Peterson always modernizes their recreations of old shapes, and this one is no different: the stem is much too wide approaching the bit, as is the bit, the stummel shape is off, and the ferrule is way too flat. But it's still one of my favorite Petersons.

I mention the above because if you really want something close to Rathbone's 4AB, it's definitely do-able: find a 1940's - 1950's 309 on ebay and have someone make you a correct AB stem.
I'm still really happy that I finally got my hands on one so for now the 2021 POTY does it well enough for me. It seems the Peterson collector bug has bitten me though and I do have a 40's 309 that I bought as an estate pipe that needs cleaning up so maybe I'll do that one day. :)

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
Loving the Pete's showing up here! I've been hunting for a 605 in an interesting finish, but just keep coming across the same ones (Harp, Donegal, Derry, Kildare). Every time a limited edition Pete comes around--Xmas, St Pat's, etc--I hope that the 605 will be a featured shape, but nope. I know there's other pots made by them, but I'm really wanting that 605.

Reactions: Nevaditude

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Loving the Pete's showing up here! I've been hunting for a 605 in an interesting finish, but just keep coming across the same ones (Harp, Donegal, Derry, Kildare). Every time a limited edition Pete comes around--Xmas, St Pat's, etc--I hope that the 605 will be a featured shape, but nope. I know there's other pots made by them, but I'm really wanting that 605.
What are some examples of lines that you find interesting?

Reactions: Nevaditude

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
What are some examples of lines that you find interesting?
I'd be ecstatic if they did a 605 in Rua or Barley. I'm not too picky about stem; plip or fishtail is fine with me. To be honest, the sandblasted Harp is ticking most of the boxes for me: sandblasted, silver band, acrylic stem. Was just hoping there'd be something a little different out there.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I'd be ecstatic if they did a 605 in Rua or Barley. I'm not too picky about stem; plip or fishtail is fine with me. To be honest, the sandblasted Harp is ticking most of the boxes for me: sandblasted, silver band, acrylic stem. Was just hoping there'd be something a little different out there.
I'm guessing you'd have to wait a bit for a rua or barley since the shape is not one of their super popular ones but they could eventually come out. This one's got a pretty nice, uniform blast on both sides:

Reactions: filmguerilla

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Just grabbed this Peterson Meer, looks like it's a 106 shape, 106s maybe? Hard to actually find any info about it, love the pipe, hate the P-lip stem but might just find a fishtail that fits and swap them out for my smoking pleasure. Anyone have any idea about it in general?

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600-1.jpgs-l1600-2.jpgs-l1600-3.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600-1.jpg

The closest I've seen was a 106 that Smokershaven was selling at one time but more more of a billiard.

065.51__62558.jpg

Last edited:

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
I was doing some organizing and had the whole 11s/312 family in one place for a picture.
Some personal favorites –
  1. Top Left, Unknown year, as the silver doesn't have a date hallmark, but it does have a bone chimney
  2. Top Center - 11s with an A style stem (with a aluminum chimney)
  3. Top Right - Older 312 standard system. I don't know the year, but I had never seen one with a white "P" before.
My collection is taking on a very specific direction. Im okay with that, it has helped me focus my PAD.
Only other shape I have this many of is the 9B / 9BC family

Attachments

• IMG_2782.jpeg
    IMG_2782.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 13
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Just grabbed this Peterson Meer, looks like it's a 106 shape, 106s maybe? Hard to actually find any info about it, love the pipe, hate the P-lip stem but might just find a fishtail that fits and swap them out for my smoking pleasure. Anyone have any idea about it in general?

View attachment 306730View attachment 306731View attachment 306732View attachment 306733View attachment 306734View attachment 306735

The closest I've seen was a 106 that Smokershaven was selling at one time but more more of a billiard.

View attachment 306738
It’s closest to a 701, but the meers didn’t follow the exact same shaping as the briars since they were made in a different factory. It was made by Manx/Laxey pipe works on the Isle of Mann out of African meer for Peterson.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
It’s closest to a 701, but the meers didn’t follow the exact same shaping as the briars since they were made in a different factory. It was made by Manx/Laxey pipe works on the Isle of Mann out of African meer for Peterson.
I knew someone would have some info, pipes yes... Roman dodecahedrons no, you're the best thanks!

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
The 606 seemed to be more prevalent. I 'think' I have a 'Natural' 'Irish Free State' 605. I'll have to locate the pipe, but here are a couple of pics. I have it marked in my spreadsheet as a restored 605, but only have these 'before' pics, and the '5' might be a '6'.

KTjgFSs.jpeg

nEq1e4F.jpeg