PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
In a word, no way, Jose. The gruesome violence of this series really put me off. These are not mysteries to be solved but rather juvenile attempts at an action series.
I’m pretty sure this won’t be a BBC style crime drama - and won’t offer the intrigue of Harlen Corben

he’s a nasty piece of work and meets nastier people

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Watched the first two episodes, firing up the third right now. Reserving judgment - better than I expected in some ways yet kind of what I expected, want to see them settled in a little more. Overall, enough to keep me going so far.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I enjoyed a series that was pure escapism a few years ago called Banshee. I'm enjoying this in the same way - it's a fun watch so far. Got through the first four last night (had to stop after realizing I was too tired to keep going and having to rewind back through most of episode 4 to catch a scene I'd been calling for, lol, that my wife enjoyed telling me I slept through --- trust me, you'll all be saying after a certain scene early "if they make us look at that, they better . . ."). It doesn't take itself too seriously but I don't think it crosses the line to cartoonish. He's a 21st century Kwai Chang Caine - wandering the country and experiencing adventures and the U.S. Army was Master Po (okay, I'm really stretching here).

Kind of like the James Bond series for me. I'd have loved to have seen a series of movies that were completely true to the books, I'd watch them all over and over, but movies vs. books. So far this is a good adaptation but still some "Hollywood" to it that I suppose they feel makes it more entertaining (but not "campy" ala Roger Moore as James Bond, lol). If I want to nitpick, I'd say the pace early has been pretty quick and some of the drama comes off a little matter of fact, but I think that's intentional.

Best advice - don't waste your time reading my drivel, just lay back and watch, and forget about life's little pressures for a few hours!

Edit: so I just searched "Jack Reacher Kung Fu" thinking someone probably already drew that comparison and found this. No I hadn't read it, but now I don't feel so "original" with my thoughts, haha. Oh well, in the interest of full disclosure here's the link. [Fresh on TV] Amazon’s ‘REACHER’ is like Caine of ‘KUNG FU’ with a higher body count - https://freshfiction.tv/fresh-on-tv-amazons-reacher-is-like-caine-of-kung-fu-with-a-higher-body-count/. The young whippersnapper that wrote it just made a headline out of it and his mom probably wasn't born when Kung Fu was on TV! Just kicked him off my lawn.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
How graphic is the violence? Would love to watch it with the wife but she’s a bit more sensitive to that stuff. As a reference, Prison Break was a bit much for her (though she made it through).
It's pretty graphic. How about a nude old fat guy nailed to a wall that's been worked on by the cartel including having his balls cut off?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Better than I thought, wife loves it. I wonder why.rotf
My wife is such a keeper - I dozed during episode 4 and she let me know I missed a particular shot I was teasing her better show up soon after the naked guy. So rewind, lol! Then, "it's really not a fair trade, that guy was gross!"

As soon as she gets home, and we feed the dogs and have a light Friday night dinner - we'll finish off the series tonight! Binge!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I've only read one or two of the Reacher books at this point in time and enjoyed them. I think it's interesting that the books sometimes alternate as first person and third person depending on what suits the story best. I can't help but picture Lee Child as Jack Reacher—I've been to some Christmas parties and book events in the city that he's attended—I'm six feet tall and I look up at him. He's a big'un.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Never read the books and I haven't had Amazon Prime so don't think I'll be signing back up for it for this series. Now when the new LOTR series is released on prime I'll probably finally break down and sign back up for it.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy