PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hobbit's Door

Lurker
Mar 25, 2024
Witchita KS
I am a huge Tolkien fan. I collect Tolkien books, art books .... Mmmm I collect Tolkien everything to keep it short and to the point. I was just wondering how many people here were influenced by Tolkien to start smoking a pipe. I read the hobbit and then the Lord of the Rings when I was 13. And over the years (I have reread the book countless times) I have often thought about pipes and pipe smoking because of the books and Tolkiens love for the pipe. I am 45 now and have been smoking for three months or is it four ... I know for me that Tolkien and his works had a big hand in me become interested in pipes and pipe tobacco. I am just curious if it is the same anyone else.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I am a huge Tolkien fan. I collect Tolkien books, art books .... Mmmm I collect Tolkien everything to keep it short and to the point. I was just wondering how many people here were influenced by Tolkien to start smoking a pipe. I read the hobbit and then the Lord of the Rings when I was 13. And over the years (I have reread the book countless times) I have often thought about pipes and pipe smoking because of the books and Tolkiens love for the pipe. I am 45 now and have been smoking for three months or is it four ... I know for me that Tolkien and his works had a big hand in me become interested in pipes and pipe tobacco. I am just curious if it is the same anyone else.
I like Tolkien and have read him more than once. But I think the percentage influenced by me smoking a pipe is close to zero. I am a big fan of everything Midcentury, architecture, furniture, fashion, etc. I think that's my main influence.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I first read The Hobbit and LOTR's in my pre-teen years and a couple more times since then. I can't say it directly influenced my eventual pipe smoking, because I smoked cigars for a long time before finally trying pipe smoking in my early 40s and discovering I enjoyed it more. But I never knew anyone who was a pipe smoker, so I suppose Tolkien's characters were my initial and primary association with it.