PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
I started smoking a pipe because of Tolkien and Lord of the Rings.

You can tell how much Tolkien loved and valued pipe smoking by the exchange Pippin and Gimli had at the ruins of Isengard. Pippin regarded his pipes as treasure "as precious as rings...". And Gimli considered himself deep in the debt of Pippin for giving him an unsmoked pipe even after all the suffering the Hobbits put him through to try to rescue them.

I have three of the four licensed Lord of the Rings pipes made by Vauen: the Aragorn pipe, the Gandalf pipe, and the Gimli pipe.

The only one I was never able to get was the Bilbo pipe, which I don't lament, because near the end Bilbo gave up pipe smoking anyway.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
As much as I enjoy the LOTR books, I was already in my 20s and smoking a pipe before I discovered Tolkein and his books.

In fact, I discovered the Bakshi and his animated movies "Fritz the Cat", "Wizards" and "The Hobbit" before I read Tolkein's books.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
To brake up the Tolkien hate: Tolkien was a linguist who created a story based on the languages he created. The descriptions he uses paints a very intricate picture that was appreciated during the times it was released due to high fantasy being a very small market.
To the haters, I say do better yourself. What? You can‘t? He may not be your cup of tea, but a tea maker you’re not. Keep that in mind.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
I wouldn't call overhyped or overrated literary criticism, it's a way of demeaning a writer. To call it "McTolkien franchising" is another demeaning aspect.
Well, differing opinions.
What I see is a stream of seemingly never-ending franchising around Tolkien.
TV series, movies, spinoff-series, toys, posters, video games, t-shirts etc etc.
McDonalds, Nike, Tolkien, Harry Potter, Starbucks, McTolkien.

Reactions: jpberg

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
TV series, movies, spinoff-series, toys, posters, video games, t-shirts etc etc.
How is criticism of superfluous content like Amazon's garbage spinoff series, which was created long after J.R.R.T. himself left this world and which bears very little resemblance to his original works, in any way relevant when discussing his writings? To be clear, I'm not arguing in any shape or form that you don't have the right to critique or dislike Tolkien's works, but all of the postmortem shameless cash grab franchising content has squat to do with the books.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
To the haters, I say do better yourself. What? You can‘t? He may not be your cup of tea, but a tea maker you’re not. Keep that in mind.
This is the first inflammatory post of the thread. Disliking a work isn't hating on it its just a difference of opinion. Some don't like fantasy, others do. I like cosmic horror, science fiction, and historical pieces. If anyone doesn't like those, who cares? Plenty of other genres for them to enjoy. Lighten up and go smoke.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Bit up yourself aren't you?
If you were referring to me, how do you know I can't make tea? Whilst not an academic (have to work for a living unfortunately) I happen to make the best tea in my family!
You should bear in mind that this is only a pipe forum, if a certain subject gets on someone's tits, they're perfectly within their right to say so, leaving further procrastination & pontificating to ponces like you. Don't like it? Tough Titty! Get down off your high horse & take it on the chin!

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I wouldn’t call literary criticism hate either. Harold Bloom
This is the first inflammatory post of the thread. Disliking a work isn't hating on it its just a difference of opinion. Some don't like fantasy, others do. I like cosmic horror, science fiction, and historical pieces. If anyone doesn't like those, who cares? Plenty of other genres for them to enjoy. Lighten up and go smoke.
LOL. I wouldn't call my post inflammatory. It was a response to a post that referred to haters, right? In tern, literary critics don't usually refer to their own "tits" (see the prior posts) to describe what they find interesting about a writer. One can be critical without being stupid - stupid is a choice - but there isn't a law prohibiting that. Usually one says something stupid as a form of literary criticism because that is the best they could come up with. But, that kinda makes my point. Inflammatory, ha, ha. I better get my slippers on so I can pussy foot around some thin skin, ha, ha.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
And how many of these fanboys watched the movies and figured they wanted to smoke a pipe - well before they knew there were books.
Which is fine, and God Bless You, but twisted panties because someone says “This guy is overrated “ is not a good look.

Reactions: sardonicus87

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
How is criticism of superfluous content like Amazon's garbage spinoff series, which was created long after J.R.R.T. himself left this world and which bears very little resemblance to his original works, in any way relevant when discussing his writings? To be clear, I'm not arguing in any shape or form that you don't have the right to critique or dislike Tolkien's works, but all of the postmortem shameless cash grab franchising content has squat to do with the books.
Tolkien fought all his life to control his works to great expense. In later years he told his son Christopher that it was a never ending battle and to go for the money as the original works stand alone. --- Something to that effect. Its in the Tolkien letters. I think the taxes changed his mind.

Last edited: