PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hobbit's Door

Lurker
Mar 25, 2024
Witchita KS
I started smoking a pipe because of Tolkien and Lord of the Rings.

You can tell how much Tolkien loved and valued pipe smoking by the exchange Pippin and Gimli had at the ruins of Isengard. Pippin regarded his pipes as treasure "as precious as rings...". And Gimli considered himself deep in the debt of Pippin for giving him an unsmoked pipe even after all the suffering the Hobbits put him through to try to rescue them.

I have three of the four licensed Lord of the Rings pipes made by Vauen: the Aragorn pipe, the Gandalf pipe, and the Gimli pipe.

The only one I was never able to get was the Bilbo pipe, which I don't lament, because near the end Bilbo gave up pipe smoking anyway.

I am a huge Tolkien fan. I collect Tolkien books, art books .... Mmmm I collect Tolkien everything to keep it short and to the point. I was just wondering how many people here were influenced by Tolkien to start smoking a pipe. I read the hobbit and then the Lord of the Rings when I was 13. And over the years (I have reread the book countless times) I have often thought about pipes and pipe smoking because of the books and Tolkiens love for the pipe. I am 45 now and have been smoking for three months or is it four ... I know for me that Tolkien and his works had a big hand in me become interested in pipes and pipe tobacco. I am just curious if it is the same anyone else.
Wow looks like I opened up a can of worms. To all those people that do not like Tolkien's work. More power to you. I don't think anyone has to like the same things I do. And to all the people who do like him I say right on! And to clear up the idea that I smoke a pipe because of Tolkien ... I say come on people. Everyone was influenced to pick up a pipe by some one or something. Maybe it was that your grandpa smoked. Or that you have a friend that smokes a pipe and you like the smell of his tobacco. No one just picks up a pipe and starts smoking it for no reason.

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
Wow looks like I opened up a can of worms. To all those people that do not like Tolkien's work. More power to you. I don't think anyone has to like the same things I do. And to all the people who do like him I say right on! And to clear up the idea that I smoke a pipe because of Tolkien ... I say come on people. Everyone was influenced to pick up a pipe by some one or something. Maybe it was that your grandpa smoked. Or that you have a friend that smokes a pipe and you like the smell of his tobacco. No one just picks up a pipe and starts smoking it for no reason.
I do smoke a pipe because of Tolkien and that's how it is for me.

Now I will remember some wise words once spoken by another great man:
The_Dude_Opinion.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
For the record, I am not a Tolkien fan. I find his writings to be too tedious and overdrawn for my patience. I also prefer stories that don't require a ton of back knowledge to know what is going on with the plot.
Now that is fair criticism.
I've found that their are a number of "great" writers that I don't enjoy reading. I personally had a hard time reading Stephen King.

Hobbit's Door

Lurker
Mar 25, 2024
Witchita KS
For the record, I am not a Tolkien fan. I find his writings to be too tedious and overdrawn for my patience. I also prefer stories that don't require a ton of back knowledge to know what is going on with the plot.
Thank you for giving fair and even criticism. Art of any kind is completely subjective. We like art because of how it makes us feel. And everyone can feel different about a piece of art. I don't like the Beatles. But many people love them. It did somewhat surprise me how many people seamed to be upset that I like Tolkien. Or that he got me to think about pipes and pipe smoking. You sir gave a evenhanded and intelligent response. Good man.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Thank you for giving fair and even criticism. Art of any kind is completely subjective. We like art because of how it makes us feel. And everyone can feel different about a piece of art. I don't like the Beatles. But many people love them. It did somewhat surprise me how many people seamed to be upset that I like Tolkien. Or that he got me to think about pipes and pipe smoking. You sir gave a evenhanded and intelligent response. Good man.
Thank you. There is no doubt about Tolkien's talent and his impact on literature. More importantly perhaps is how he was able to incorporate aspects of language mechanics and traditional folklores to create a universe that was self contained and capable of its own internal logic. HIs approach to world building has since been copied and expanded on by many authors who came after him. There is no doubt that he was brilliant and gifted.

In my vacation home in Nevada, I have a collection of art work from artists who contributed to the world of painting primarily during the 60s and 70s. Their artwork is clearly not for everybody. But there is no doubting that they were gifted. I enjoy these works very much. But I suffer no illusions that there are many many people who would not.

Here is a fair criticism of Tolkien: I am disappointed that he seems to relegate half of the human species - women - to background characters who rarely if ever take the lead. I say this not because I have a woke mind virus - I do not - but because the contributions women make to the foundational aspects of his lead characters are clearly worth exploring. It would have added a depth and complexity to his world building - and yes, I am aware of most of the female characters in LOTR and the Silmarillion - having read most of those works completely. Behind every great man there is a woman - even if history chooses not to write about her.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Tolkien is an interesting fellow. I had an English Lit teacher who had him as her professor at Oxford. He made so much money from hobbit books she never saw him in class. Being a writer of cr*p spy thrillers in my spare moments I can say that everyone has different tastes and opinions. I am sure Shakespeare had his critics back in the day. More importantly is why are there no naked hobbit wrestling matches in the books or dwarf tossing tournaments?

Reactions: Hobbit's Door

Hobbit's Door

Lurker
Mar 25, 2024
Witchita KS
Thank you. There is no doubt about Tolkien's talent and his impact on literature. More importantly perhaps is how he was able to incorporate aspects of language mechanics and traditional folklores to create a universe that was self contained and capable of its own internal logic. HIs approach to world building has since been copied and expanded on by many authors who came after him. There is no doubt that he was brilliant and gifted.

In my vacation home in Nevada, I have a collection of art work from artists who contributed to the world of painting primarily during the 60s and 70s. Their artwork is clearly not for everybody. But there is no doubting that they were gifted. I enjoy these works very much. But I suffer no illusions that there are many many people who would not.

Here is a fair criticism of Tolkien: I am disappointed that he seems to relegate half of the human species - women - to background characters who rarely if ever take the lead. I say this not because I have a woke mind virus - I do not - but because the contributions women make to the foundational aspects of his lead characters are clearly worth exploring. It would have added a depth and complexity to his world building - and yes, I am aware of most of the female characters in LOTR and the Silmarillion - having read most of those works completely. Behind every great man there is a woman - even if history chooses not to write about her.
I 100% agree about the lack of strong female characters in Tolkien's writings. Galadriel was portrayed as being very powerful. But she was not really in the storytelling that much. I think the lack of women was unfortunately a product of it's time. And Tolkien tried to take a lot of his ideas form history. And again unfortunately history as far as legend and myth go are focused a lot on men. I hate woke thinking and ideology. But in this case your right. For all the love I have for The books. The stories would have been even better if there were more women's parts to fill it out and add to the tale.

Hobbit's Door

Lurker
Mar 25, 2024
Witchita KS
Tolkien is an interesting fellow. I had an English Lit teacher who had him as her professor at Oxford. He made so much money from hobbit books she never saw him in class. Being a writer of cr*p spy thrillers in my spare moments I can say that everyone has different tastes and opinions. I am sure Shakespeare had his critics back in the day. More importantly is why are there no naked hobbit wrestling matches in the books or dwarf tossing tournaments?
🤣🤣 Ya! Hobbit wrestling and dwarf tossing. I am on board with it! Laughed so hard I almost spit out my coffee. My dog freaked out and thought I was having a seizure. O damn that is to good man ....

Hobbit's Door

Lurker
Mar 25, 2024
Witchita KS
Nicotine

I started using tobacco products at 17 back in '91 just to see which ones I liked. Turned out I liked all of them.

View attachment 303637
😂 Me to sir, me to. I started dipping Copenhagen fine cut and Skoal wintergreen fine cut at the the same age of 17. I had just started a new job doing construction. Some one handed me a can of skoal wintergreen fine cut thinking it would be funny to see me get sick form trying it. My boss dipped and he showed me how to pack it and how to take a dip. I put a big pinch in and in a few minutes was on cloud nine. Did not get sick much to there dismay. And have loved nicotine ever since. I have love tobacco from a good cigarette when I am out having a beer. To a good cigar once or twice a week. And of course dipping. I did switches to snus for the last 7 or so years. It is easyer on my gums and theeth. I love a good strong snus. If you ever get a chance or are so inclined. Odens double mint extreme portion snus is damn good and will give you a hard nicitin kick.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Tolkien is an interesting fellow. I had an English Lit teacher who had him as her professor at Oxford. He made so much money from hobbit books she never saw him in class.
Probably down the 'baby & bird' having a pint, scrolling down his iPhone, checking out the forums and shaking his head at all the grown men's unhealthy and incessant adulation of midgets with big feet!