48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
@The Amish Tyrant : That is not a new phenomenon. I believe Mrs. Caesar lived to regret nagging her husband, something along the lines of "Julius why don't you piss off down the forum and see your nice friend Brutus instead of lolling around the palace buggering your new Greek slave boy!".
What were Caesar's last words?

"Ouch, ouch, ouch!"

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@ The Amish Tyrant. Contrary to popular legend Caesar did not utter the words 'Et Tu Brute' when he was stabbed. What really happened was Caesar passed him a plate of dates and said 'Eat two Brute' who then stabbed Caesar since he was offended that Caesar had forgotten that he Brutus was a diabetic. Well that was the version told to me by some bloke in a blue police call box who called himself the 'Doctor' and claimed to have seen the whole thing kick off! rotf

Last edited:

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
Thank you. There is no doubt about Tolkien's talent and his impact on literature. More importantly perhaps is how he was able to incorporate aspects of language mechanics and traditional folklores to create a universe that was self contained and capable of its own internal logic. HIs approach to world building has since been copied and expanded on by many authors who came after him. There is no doubt that he was brilliant and gifted.

In my vacation home in Nevada, I have a collection of art work from artists who contributed to the world of painting primarily during the 60s and 70s. Their artwork is clearly not for everybody. But there is no doubting that they were gifted. I enjoy these works very much. But I suffer no illusions that there are many many people who would not.

Here is a fair criticism of Tolkien: I am disappointed that he seems to relegate half of the human species - women - to background characters who rarely if ever take the lead. I say this not because I have a woke mind virus - I do not - but because the contributions women make to the foundational aspects of his lead characters are clearly worth exploring. It would have added a depth and complexity to his world building - and yes, I am aware of most of the female characters in LOTR and the Silmarillion - having read most of those works completely. Behind every great man there is a woman - even if history chooses not to write about her.
I agree. The thing about LoTR was that although there were powerful and important women in the books none of them ever spoke to each other. Also, as you mentioned they were more like background characters.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Here‘s an odd thing about writers when they do provide female characters more time and depth in a story - especially fantasy- the writers tend to drop the female characters into roles traditionally best suited for males. Traditional and cultural influences that were significant for women are pushed aside in favor of male characteristics. It’s like saying a woman isn’t interesting unless she’s more like a man. I perceive that as weak writing where perhaps the author was unable to step up to the challenge of making a woman interesting as a woman.

Hobbit's Door

Lurker
Mar 25, 2024
Witchita KS
Here‘s an odd thing about writers when they do provide female characters more time and depth in a story - especially fantasy- the writers tend to drop the female characters into roles traditionally best suited for males. Traditional and cultural influences that were significant for women are pushed aside in favor of male characteristics. It’s like saying a woman isn’t interesting unless she’s more like a man. I perceive that as weak writing where perhaps the author was unable to step up to the challenge of making a woman interesting as a woman.
Mmmm Again I agree. Women do not need to be "men" to make them strong or interesting. It is a mind set that is just wrong. And takes away form the reality of how great, powerful, smart and interesting women are in there own right.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Precisely- this is an aspect of woke culture that works against the very people the wokesters think they are promoting. It seems they always feel the need to remake people into something or someone else in order for them to be found interesting. It’s why so many of their stories fail to resonate with the mainstream audience.

• Love
Reactions: LeafErikson

Hobbit's Door

Lurker
Mar 25, 2024
Witchita KS
I read The Hobbit when I was in grade 6-7? Back in the 80s. I then tried reading LOTR but found it too hard & boring. Seems that one is geared more towards teens/adults IMO. Anyways big fan of the series now a days. Love the movies, especially the Ralph Bakshi version as you can see. Shame it wasn't completed. View attachment 303815
Love the poster. I had a vhs of that movie when I was a kid. And a vhs of the Rankin Bass 1977 edition of the Hobbit. Watch those movies more times then I can count.

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
I have been a Tolkien fan since the Rankin-Bass version of the Hobbit came on TV when I was eight. For Christmas that year, my parents bought me the book illustrated with pics from the show that I still have. I particularly like the pic of Bilbo and his smoke rings. Oddly, I didn’t read LOTR for the first time until I was in my 20s. Didn’t pick up the pipe until just a few months ago, 25+ years later, but do feel a certain affinity with Tolkien’s characters at times when I smoke.

IMG_2970.jpegIMG_2969.jpeg

Hobbit's Door

Lurker
Mar 25, 2024
Witchita KS
That is a great book. I just got one a few years ago to add to my collection. I have a large collection of Tolkien books. I loved the 1977 hobbit as a kid and still watch it every three or so years. Now I just need the vinyl of the Rankin/Bass production The Hobbit, the complete original soundtrack. Tolkien and his writings got me in to pipe smoking. It made me interested in pipe tobacco and pipes. That is a great picture! Here is a pic of the vinyl set. 1714461221749.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: AreBee and Kobold