PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
- Golf
- Skeet and Sporting Clays, dont really hunt anymore and certainly no Trap, I'm not 100yrs old
- Motorcycles, although I sold the Ducati back in late 2020, still miss it, need another one
- Driving my Porsche 911
- Offending people
- Drinking, lots and lots of drinking

Being that we are currently in and out of F$%^ing lockdowns, smoking and drinking is really it these days.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Our 1979 MGB continues to compete for time, and we drive it a few thousand miles annually (really, any dry day/night).

Each winter, I embark on a an upgrade. This winter, it is the rear suspension replacement. The car is on stands, new components ready to go in tomorrow (springs/bushings/lowering blocks).

20220111_192704.jpg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
2 G's, golf and grandchildren.
Can't relate to grandchildren yet so I've still got a capital "D" for daughters that has dominated my life since 1992, but I probably should have written "GOLF" instead of "golf", lol. Our expected 9 inches of snow just started around 6 a.m. ---- later watching golf on TV from Hawaii is the closest I'm getting until March, lol. About this time after the holidays I start becoming more and more impatient I can't play!

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Where did you learn to bake? That bread looks amazing... (oh the painting looks nice too lol).

I look forward to reading your blog.
Anytime I do something I start by researching it, books or internet. Then a lot of trial and error. I’m a believer in failure is the greatest teacher. I learned how to cook at the age of four. I lived with my grandparents for three years after my parents divorce and we lived out in the middle of nowhere, so my grandma to entertain me, put me in the kitchen. I cook from scratch and make my own recipes now.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Our 1979 MGB continues to compete for time, and we drive it a few thousand miles annually (really, any dry day/night).

Each winter, I embark on a an upgrade. This winter, it is the rear suspension replacement. The car is on stands, new components ready to go in tomorrow (springs/bushings/lowering blocks).

View attachment 121569
Those are sweet little cars. I use to have a 71 1/2 mg midget.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My 2 favorite hobbies, tennis(singles only) and Golf are history for me. My body broke down and I cannot play either. I really miss them. At one point I was one of the better singles players over 50. There was only a couple of guys better at my tennis club. One guy was a Us champ and he was a member at our club. He is also my insurance guy so we have known each other for years. I also missed getting blasted at night and then playing hoops and street hockey . We had great lights over the tennis courts and the full court hoop court. Now I get to pay my HOA's and not get my money's worth. When I first moved here it was like a country club. Now it is just a very nice place to live.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I listen to my jazz while the wife is asleep late at night. I do it in my smoking room while puffing my pipe. So as not to wake her I use a headphone rig.

I'm an old time audiophile so I want great sound quality. Here's what I've put together and if you also demand quality sound I can recommend it. Use lossless recordings.

Ipod classic 120 gb, 7th Generation
Ray Samuels SR71A Amp
Ray Samuels interconnect
Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Attachments

• 32 (Copy).jpg
    32 (Copy).jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 1405622232000-146611 (Copy).jpg
    1405622232000-146611 (Copy).jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 4
  • rsa-sr71a-1 (Copy).jpg
    rsa-sr71a-1 (Copy).jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 4

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Notes on the gear in above post.

The 7th Generation Ipod classic offers a good option. It has an excellent d to a processor and a large storage capacity. Also, unlike some other high end brands it doesn't cost a fortune. But, because like all Ipods it has a poor amp it needs to be used with an outboard amp. And the ear buds that come with it are junk. Buy your own.

Ray Samuels Audio SR71a amplifier. This unit connects to the ipod through the ipod's charging port. It gets the signal direct from the d to a processor bypassing the ipod's amp. Like all of Ray's products it's hand built to the highest standards and Ray backs up his products 100%.

Ray Samuels Audio interconnect. This little cable connects the ipod to the amp. It's expensive for such a small cable, but it's hand made, tested and delivers great sound. Worth it!

Sennheiser HD600 headphones. These are open back phones that have been around for 20 years. They are so good they compare to others costing many times as much. The HD600 are a true bargain in headphones.

KevKasper13

Lurker
Jan 12, 2022
Bristol, Pa
I’ve been playing guitar for twenty years now. Not as much since getting married and having a kid. Though now that my daughter is three and doesn’t need to be watched like a hawk I’m finally starting to noodle around a little more.
Also an avid reader. Give me anything fiction and I’ll be happier than the earlier mentioned three year old on chicken nugget night.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I listen to my jazz while the wife is asleep late at night. I do it in my smoking room while puffing my pipe. So as not to wake her I use a headphone rig.

I'm an old time audiophile so I want great sound quality. Here's what I've put together and if you also demand quality sound I can recommend it. Use lossless recordings.

Ipod classic 120 gb, 7th Generation
Ray Samuels SR71A Amp
Ray Samuels interconnect
Sennheiser HD600 headphones
Nice to see another audiophile here! I used to see Ray Samuels at Head-Fi meets I attended in New York years ago. I have 600s and 650s with Equinox aftermarket cables by Stefan AudioArt, but have always felt those headphones were slightly veiled. I've been curious to try out the 800 S (which supposedly addressed some of the fatiguing brightness of the 800). I haven't had a chance to check out some of the Hi-Fi Man cans that are supposed to be more transparent.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
We educate our six children--aged 13 and below--at home, and although my savvy wife shoulders the proverbial lion's share of that, I jump in on those things which fall within my wheelhouse: history and literature, as well as some grammar and writing.

I temporarily suspected that being a good dad excluded much in the way of my other interests, but I'm glad to find that such compartmentalizing assumptions are modern and unnecessary. In fact, it may be that a man's various pursuits are platforms on which to be a better dad than he otherwise might have been, if he'll embrace the inefficiencies (which are enormous) entailed in involving his kids.

Sure, some things have gone to the wayside. Motorcycles come to mind. But it was probably time to be done with that, anyway.

Trad archery is a primary interest of mine, which brings with it a variety of sub-interests. That's a whole world in itself.

I used to teach medieval literature, and it remains a love of mine. Great literature in general, really. We read as a family quite a bit--currently finishing up Lewis's Cosmic Trilogy (first time for the kids, second for my wife, and I think fourth time for me).

I've started making retro style, fiberglass fly rods, but I'm a wholly unsuccessful fly fisherman. In the coming years I'd like for fly fishing to become as major a thing for me as trad archery is. I think it's uniquely well suited to fostering family cohesion.

I used to backpack, climb, and camp a lot, and the kids are finally getting old enough to do that with me at a higher level.

I read and dabble at writing in some theological interests. Recently that's take a more patristic turn.

I've been trying to build out a wood shop with used stuff off craigslist. I'm inexperienced at this juncture, but a nearby codger is helping me get started.

One shift I'm choosing is to dig more deeply into standing interests, rather than allow myself to be distracted by exciting new vistas which rise before me from time to time. For instance, a friend of mine recently got into putting together and modifying automatic time pieces, and I've found it so fascinatingly beautiful that I've been tempted to take that plunge myself. But that would be a bad call for me.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Nice to see another audiophile here! I used to see Ray Samuels at Head-Fi meets I attended in New York years ago. I have 600s and 650s with Equinox aftermarket cables by Stefan AudioArt, but have always felt those headphones were slightly veiled. I've been curious to try out the 800 S (which supposedly addressed some of the fatiguing brightness of the 800). I haven't had a chance to check out some of the Hi-Fi Man cans that are supposed to be more transparent.
Sounds like we're kindred spirits. I've wondered if cable upgrades are really worth it. My HD600 sounds really great with the factory cables.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Unless you can ABX them with your full chain, I wouldn't even bother.
I'm not going to bother because of the expense. Custom cables can cost as much as the phones and I learned a long time ago that one of the things that can make an audiophile go broke is constantly "tweaking" his system. I may be wrong, but I tend to think that considering my source is an ipod using lossless recording in a portable system, that what I have as far as phones are pushing the limits of the system. It's the old "chain is only as strong as it's weakest link". By the way, for what it's worth, Ray Samuels recommend HD600s. And again, for what it's worth, I bought my first Sennheisers back in the late 1960s and still have them... they cost me $18 new.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
You're absolutely right. While some cables can, and do make a good difference, there may be limitations in the chain that will not reveal those differences. A funny story: A late friend of mine who wrote for one of the big audiophile magazines and I went to visit the home of someone who was a bit of what we called a "flat earther," who didn't believe in tweaks making any difference whatsoever. After hearing his system, we knew he was absolutely right, in the context of his system; his set up and gear masked any nuances and subtleties, that there was no way he could experience hearing any changes made by a cable or tweak. It helped us understand why he was so adamant about poo pooing changing cables and such.