PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
When you really enjoy a pipe, two or three of them isn't too many. I have two Peterson B11 brandy sitters in different finishes, and two Stanwell 32 bulldogs in slightly different finishes. I'm enjoying my new Sav Pannocchia, a 606 KS bent billiard with rusticated carving on the corncob theme, with a narrow green band and a bright yellow stem. Enjoy your pipes.
Agree! I got a pipe and a stain I love. I bought three to rotate constantly plain and simple and it takes away th decision making

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
The top one looks about right. The bottom two don’t look as if they’re in until they seat fully. You can see the rub marks on the stem.
ok I see. I put them together for a photo but not as if I were smoking them. They go down a little more.

BUT

The pipes work best with the stem they came with. And some sit much higher than others.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That's the style & design of the Deluxe System line
Some only seat halfway it seems. There should be a gap, not the neck of ET.

et-portrait-in-blue-background_u-L-Q116CUI0.jpg

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Some only seat halfway it seems. There should be a gap, not the neck of ET.
That's their style & how they were designed. It's an army mount style, like a regular Pete System but fancier. Just like how the silver spigots don't fit flush or even close.

That deluxe style stem also only comes in P-lip, which is why I don't have any.

Reactions: ofafeather

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
you got 3 terra cotta Pub pipes and smoke them all?I gues everybody is different but i do not get it to have 3 same pipes in the same finish..
I was thinking about this reaction this afternoon. I don't see why not to do it this way.

I can get one car I like and use it every day. I can use my favorite coffee mug every day. But to do the same thing with briar I would need three (to let them dry completely)

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I was thinking about this reaction this afternoon. I don't see why not to do it this way.

I can get one car I like and use it every day. I can use my favorite coffee mug every day. But to do the same thing with briar I would need three (to let them dry completely)
Sounds great to me! Glad you found a shape and finish you really like!

Now, do they all smoke the same? Or do some smoke sweeter than others? I've had great luck with Peterson, but just recently I got two that smoked bitter from the start. This must be something in the wood, maybe where it grew, because by far the majority I have have been great.

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
Sounds great to me! Glad you found a shape and finish you really like!

Now, do they all smoke the same? I've had great luck with Peterson, but just recently I got two that smoked bitter from the start. This must be something in the wood, maybe where it grew, because by far the majority I have have been great.
I've been very happy with them - all equally consistent in smoking qualities. Although I love the stain, I could have saved some money going with rusticated. The difference between them aesthetically is night and day, though.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I've been very happy with them - all equally consistent in smoking qualities. Although I love the stain, I could have saved some money going with rusticated. The difference between them aesthetically is night and day, though.
Good reason to get a rusticated one now then, to compare!
I like rusticated pipes for outdoors, easier to hang onto if chilly and wet, and I don't worry about scratches and dings if things happen. Smooth pipes have a nice feel in the hand, and it's nice to contemplate the grain.

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Many years ago a South African cricketer was embroiled in a scandal after making deals with bookmakers to fix test matches. When questioned about his actions he apologetically stated “the Devil made me do it”.

Well gentlemen - one terracotta Pub Pipe is en route to me from SP.com (and to think the cheapskates only sent me a card this Christmas).

My defence in this regard is that “you lot made me do it!”

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
Would you say factory pipe but still hand made?
Ha! It's funny you ask that.

They are each stamped "Hand Made"

I'd like to know what that means for Peterson. There may or may not be regulation on that term like the whiskey industry has with some labelings.

Is it handmade? Or that much more than a smooth 312 or large house pipe? I don't see how it could be just looking at it.

If it's not all that hand made, then I'd still be a faithful smoker of them. I get far more out of a good deep Peterson System than most of my artesinal briars. Once I started on this Peterson System path I'm consider sticking the them + corn cobs + a few normal briars.