PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't smoke 20 bowls a day in my a particular one of my Deluxe System, Pub or House pipes; It would probably take 4 lifetimes in order to wear the junction to the degree where the collar of the stem and end of the shank would eventually meet up.
Like many things pipe related, complete myth.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Are the stems oxidized? If not, it may just be need of breaking in.
This one is brand new and will be a pain to break in, will probably be worthless for Virginias. I was looking for a super cure for bitter new briar. First time I've run into one this bad from Peterson (I have several Rossi pipes this bitter, though). I'll use it for sweeter burley blends like the Sutliff copy of Edgeworth, see if it gets better over time. It'll also cut the sweetness of the blend. Suggestions welcome from anyone. Thanks!

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Like many things pipe related, complete myth.

Oh, I don't know about that. Obviously over time the materials will wear to some degree. However I probably wouldn't make fixtures and set up instrumentation to do extensive HALT and HASS testing to determine exactly when the gap would close. I guess the point I was trying to make was that the distance of the gap, and whatever future century it is the gap finally closes, is pretty much irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

I would guess that the whole reason behind the scheme was that back during the industrial revolution, morse tapers were invented as a way to quickly change tool bits in machining operations, and Peterson probably glommed onto that concept for their well pipes that need to be swabbed out often.

And the closing gap story was a good marketing story...

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
How about one that smoked bitter from the start? Just got two new pipes like that, one is much better after the salt/alcohol soak, but not the other (even tried coffee grounds too). I may do the soak again. It's just something in the wood itself. Suggestions?
I would imagine if the briar was not properly processed/cured there would be some residual plant resins/oils that are making it smoke bitter. Baking the stummel in an oven with the chamber filled with activated charcoal might reduce the bitterness by driving out the remaining resins/oils.

Or you could just contact the vendor and see what they might do about it.

Last edited:

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I would imagine if the briar was not properly processed/cured there would be some residual plant resins/oils that are making it smoke bitter. Baking the stummel in an oven with the chamber filled with activated charcoal might reduce the bitterness by driving out the remaining resins/oils.
Do you know what oven temp would work for the charcoal?
Would soaking with baking soda help?
Thanks for your help!

• Wow
Reactions: PeterPipersPizza

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Smoke it out. It's what some describe as breaking in and what some really despise about a new pipe.
I've been smoking pipes 40 years and never run into a new one as unpleasant as this, so I know what I'm in for. I don't want to waste good tobacco breaking it in that I won't be able to savor if there's an easier way. Or I'll just sell it. Bummer it's a Peterson, been very happy with them until now.

Last edited:

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Do you know what oven temp would work for the charcoal?
Would soaking with baking soda help?
Thanks for your help!
Scroll down to the activated charcoal treatment.

de-ghosting a pipe | rebornpipes

I've never done this, as I've never had to. But it makes sense, I mean unless you want to boil the stummel for two days... And I'd use a wad of tin foil instead of a towel...

If that doesn't do it I don't know what to tell ya. Maybe a leprechaun jizzed in it.

Reactions: romaso

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Ha! It's funny you ask that.

They are each stamped "Hand Made"

I'd like to know what that means for Peterson. There may or may not be regulation on that term like the whiskey industry has with some labelings.

Is it handmade? Or that much more than a smooth 312 or large house pipe? I don't see how it could be just looking at it.

If it's not all that hand made, then I'd still be a faithful smoker of them. I get far more out of a good deep Peterson System than most of my artesinal briars. Once I started on this Peterson System path I'm consider sticking the them + corn cobs + a few normal briars.
I remember a Mark Irwin blog comment that, though the Peterson house pipes are stamped hand made, they actually aren't. It was simply tradition to stamp them that way. if I recall correctly, no one seemed to remember why the tradition started.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I can see why @BROBS made his comment earlier re: the size of the gap. There’s a huge difference between the gap in my 2019 Pub and some of the newer examples shown in this thread.
View attachment 123476
my 2018 or 2019 House pipe got about the same gap..as soon I bought it they started showing up pipes with. lot bigger gap...No idea why they changed it...

kilroyjune6

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2016
I had no interest in them until a few weeks ago. I had no desire for something that big. But for whatever reason, they got stuck in my head and I had to have one. It got here on Tuesday, and I've been breaking it in all week. I went with the rusticated. I'm not a fan of rustication in general, or Peterson's rustication in particular, but the price was right, and it does feel good in the hand. I'm really liking it so far.