PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
As someone with a fondness for both Peterson's & pubs, I was sorely tempted. Alas, the acrylic stem with a pipe of that size & weight made it a no go.
whats wrong with acrylic stem?I put rubber bits on all my pipe stems so for me I prefer acrylic -its maintenace free...size of House pipe and Pub pipe is a size for real man :)

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
Ha! It's funny you ask that.

They are each stamped "Hand Made"

I'd like to know what that means for Peterson. There may or may not be regulation on that term like the whiskey industry has with some labelings.

Is it handmade? Or that much more than a smooth 312 or large house pipe? I don't see how it could be just looking at it.

If it's not all that hand made, then I'd still be a faithful smoker of them. I get far more out of a good deep Peterson System than most of my artesinal briars. Once I started on this Peterson System path I'm consider sticking the them + corn cobs + a few normal briars.
i got a third house pipe which is also stamped hand made it is from early 90s I think and it is got that Peterson famous rustication from that time..It is smaller then todays house pipes and lines are little different

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
Some only seat halfway it seems. There should be a gap, not the neck of ET.

et-portrait-in-blue-background_u-L-Q116CUI0.jpg
you are absolutely right...They make them gaps taller and taller which starts to look unatractive..also they narrowed a part of the stems which slides in and it kinda looks stupid..

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
I was thinking about this reaction this afternoon. I don't see why not to do it this way.

I can get one car I like and use it every day. I can use my favorite coffee mug every day. But to do the same thing with briar I would need three (to let them dry completely)
I guess you do not like variety..Everyone is different..I would consider it boring ....Maybe you get one in natural finish they are fantastic but rare...

Reactions: ofafeather

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
Sounds great to me! Glad you found a shape and finish you really like!

Now, do they all smoke the same? Or do some smoke sweeter than others? I've had great luck with Peterson, but just recently I got two that smoked bitter from the start. This must be something in the wood, maybe where it grew, because by far the majority I have have been great.
i got one Pete XL02 from early 2000s donegal rocky which never tasted decent...No tobacco tasted good in it...Just bellow average pipe..The best tasting Pete is 999 shamrock from late 40s and 2019 natural spigot ...I could not believe how great the natural spigot tastes comparing to other petersons I 've got

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
Many years ago a South African cricketer was embroiled in a scandal after making deals with bookmakers to fix test matches. When questioned about his actions he apologetically stated “the Devil made me do it”.

Well gentlemen - one terracotta Pub Pipe is en route to me from SP.com (and to think the cheapskates only sent me a card this Christmas).

My defence in this regard is that “you lot made me do it!”
wooow ..congatulations...Post its photo here.. :)

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
Briar is very non absorbent. You'd have to leave it underwater overnight for it to absorb anything at all. Wipe out the chamber with a paper towel, the mortise with Q-tips, run a pipe cleaner through the stem and airway, and it's ready to go.
I trust you. You've done this much more than I have.

But do you know if sour pipes come from not wiping the interior of the bowl and not passing a pipe cleaner down the airway?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I trust you. You've done this much more than I have.

But do you know if sour pipes come from not wiping the interior of the bowl and not passing a pipe cleaner down the airway?
Definitely comes down to keeping the chamber and airway clean. Neglected build-up in the mortise is also a big contributor, old tobacco residue can turn foul. For the bowl I occasionally polish them up with a jeweler's cloth but keeping the bowl shiny won't affect the taste at all. Never a sour pipe in three decades. Some might attribute that to my affinity to meerschaum, but that just started in 2020.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Never a sour pipe in three decades.
How about one that smoked bitter from the start? Just got two new pipes like that, one is much better after the salt/alcohol soak, but not the other (even tried coffee grounds too). I may do the soak again. It's just something in the wood itself. Suggestions?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
How about one that smoked bitter from the start? Just got two new pipes like that, one is much better after the salt/alcohol soak, but not the other (even tried coffee grounds too). I may do the soak again. It's just something in the wood itself. Suggestions?
Are the stems oxidized? If not, it may just be need of breaking in.

indoeuro

Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Ha! It's funny you ask that.

They are each stamped "Hand Made"

I'd like to know what that means for Peterson. There may or may not be regulation on that term like the whiskey industry has with some labelings.

Is it handmade? Or that much more than a smooth 312 or large house pipe? I don't see how it could be just looking at it.

If it's not all that hand made, then I'd still be a faithful smoker of them. I get far more out of a good deep Peterson System than most of my artesinal briars. Once I started on this Peterson System path I'm consider sticking the them + corn cobs + a few normal briars.
THIS IS THE WAY

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
ok I see. I put them together for a photo but not as if I were smoking them. They go down a little more.

BUT

The pipes work best with the stem they came with. And some sit much higher than others.
They all (including the Deluxe System) fit into what could be best described as a 1 Morse taper. If the end of the tenon was cut back a little farther, or the cutter was run into the mortise a little farther, then there will be a difference in the gap.

I doubt whether the person who is performing the operation is gauging the gap. Probably done manually and just to the point where the stem doesn't wobble back and forth and is secure in the stummel.

The whole idea behind the concept was that as the fitting wore (opened up), it would still seal and hold the stem in place, as the well had to be drained often, and that would necessitate removing the stem often.

I don't smoke 20 bowls a day in my a particular one of my Deluxe System, Pub or House pipes; It would probably take 4 lifetimes in order to wear the junction to the degree where the collar of the stem and end of the shank would eventually meet up.

So I guess if they do stick a bit farther, then they'd probably last for 5 or 6 lifetimes... I doubt whether somebody is going to single you out at say a pipe show and call attention how large of a gap is on your Pub pipe. But then there are some who often just have to pipe up and make some barely relevant, often BS comment...

And now you know the rest of the story.