PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Over the years I've had quite a few "high end" lighters. Dupont, Dunhill, Caran d'Ache, Corona, even a propane Zippo. But of all these I would say my favorite is a Savinelli with electric ignition (pictured below) . Carried one for years and it never let me down, plus the angled flame and built in tamper were great. I still have some of these lighters but they just sit in a drawer unused. Instead.... The other day I stopped by an large wholesaler who specializes in supplying convenience stores, and from the look of it, head shops. I bought a box of 50 electric disposable lighters for $10. True, they all have pictures of hippy dopers on them, but who cares, they work great. puffy

Attachments

• savinelli-pipe-lighter-gold_1_3da6e242812f6397e71872722544e340.jpg
    savinelli-pipe-lighter-gold_1_3da6e242812f6397e71872722544e340.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 5

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Either a Zippo pipe lighter:
e2eeb362c81117268977197a39ff14eee7a3ff5c_large.jpg

or this Clipper pipe light:
butane-refillable-tobacco-pipe-metal-lighter-45.jpg
Would this Clipper lighter basically be about the same temperature as a Bic? Does it’s design change anything about the heat of the flame? Just curious. It looks like something I’d like to try!

Reactions: JOHN72
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
iM Corona. They're great!
I've also got a Dunhill Unique pipe lighter, which is shit!
Actually, I need to strip it down and have a play and tune up, but straight off. I was very disappointed with it's quality v's the Corona.

Reactions: JOHN72

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
This is a little out there but I've come to really like it. It's cheap and practical and I don't have any real waste to deal with.

20221007_163642.jpg

Some beeswax coated hemp wick from a massive spool I paid about $10 on Amazon for. I light it with a rechargable electric arc lighter insert Zippo makes. It'll stay charged for about 4-5 smoke sessions then I plug it into my computer for a couple hours.

No fluid, no leftover matches, the wick spool will likely last me several years at least. Only downside is I smoke outside so I always pray to God there's no wind.🙏

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
This is a little out there but I've come to really like it. It's cheap and practical and I don't have any real waste to deal with.

View attachment 173579

Some beeswax coated hemp wick from a massive spool I paid about $10 on Amazon for. I light it with a rechargable electric arc lighter insert Zippo makes. It'll stay charged for about 4-5 smoke sessions then I plug it into my computer for a couple hours.

No fluid, no leftover matches, the wick spool will likely last me several years at least. Only downside is I smoke outside so I always pray to God there's no wind.🙏
That's quite an interesting setup! May have to give that a try myself... ;)

Reactions: Swiss Army Knife

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
Usually an old boy, but recently l bought a Zippo Z plus soft flame gas insert.
Have to say that flame is really soft and easy to use.

I bought the Zippo 20 years ago and never liked it it because of that stinking fluid, but the gas insert is a real game changer. Highly recommended.
I've bought another insert as a replacement if ever needed. That's how much I like it.
By any chance do you remember the name of the insert you have for the zippo? I've been looking for one that works, but I haven't had much luck....

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Some of them have old flints corroded in the flint tube but you can clear them with a small drill bit. Just make sure it has the jet probe included with it and that the jet bore isn't reamed out. The jet bore is little more than the width of a hair.

View attachment 121287
Lucky to find this reference!

I have an old well-worn Beattie I picked up quite some time ago. But . . . as @Chasing Embers mentioned at some other point in time it needed the special "probe" tool, which mine didn't come with and soon needed, lol. So . . . I picked up an old but unused Beattie mostly to get the tool and have another lighter. Some time ago, I finally decided to see how it worked and the flint was toast, and not surprised at that. Frustrating thing was that it dropped out (so I thought), so I put a replacement flint in and for the life of me couldn't get the spring back in, got a little frustrated and put it away for another day before I did something dumb(er). Grabbed all my stuff this evening, remembered reading this, found the reference, light bulb finally goes off and got a paper clip, unfolded and worked it a bit and what I thought was the rest of the old flint came out. New one in, this time the spring went in okay and . . . nothing. Took it all out and probed a little more and the remaining grey dust clogging it spilled out, flint in, spring in, lighter fluid and the whoosh of the jet! Now to figure out the old one - it's lost a lot of its "whoosh" and I probed it, raised the wick a hair and still it doesn't seem to pack much punch at all. Maybe too saturated? I don't know. I'm leaving it out tonight and will see what it is up to in the morning. At least the "new" one is working well, I'll torch some tobacco tomorrow!50792C7A-5D3B-42CE-9B0A-EAFC22B62C08_1_201_a.jpeg32618A97-F990-4243-A62F-99E73844FBE3_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA

I have an old well-worn Beattie I picked up quite some time ago. But . . . as @Chasing Embers mentioned at some other point in time it needed the special "probe" tool, which mine didn't come with and soon needed, lol. So . . . I picked up an old but unused Beattie mostly to get the tool and have another lighter. Some time ago, I finally decided to see how it worked and the flint was toast, and not surprised at that. Frustrating thing was that it dropped out (so I thought), so I put a replacement flint in and for the life of me couldn't get the spring back in, got a little frustrated and put it away for another day before I did something dumb(er). Grabbed all my stuff this evening, remembered reading this, found the reference, light bulb finally goes off and got a paper clip, unfolded and worked it a bit and what I thought was the rest of the old flint came out. New one in, this time the spring went in okay and . . . nothing. Took it all out and probed a little more and the remaining grey dust clogging it spilled out, flint in, spring in, lighter fluid and the whoosh of the jet! Now to figure out the old one - it's lost a lot of its "whoosh" and I probed it, raised the wick a hair and still it doesn't seem to pack much punch at all. Maybe too saturated? I don't know. I'm leaving it out tonight and will see what it is up to in the morning. At least the "new" one is working well, I'll torch some tobacco tomorrow!View attachment 174709View attachment 174712
Now I have to look for a Beattie. Damn it. Just got Nimrod.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa

I have an old well-worn Beattie I picked up quite some time ago. But . . . as @Chasing Embers mentioned at some other point in time it needed the special "probe" tool, which mine didn't come with and soon needed, lol. So . . . I picked up an old but unused Beattie mostly to get the tool and have another lighter. Some time ago, I finally decided to see how it worked and the flint was toast, and not surprised at that. Frustrating thing was that it dropped out (so I thought), so I put a replacement flint in and for the life of me couldn't get the spring back in, got a little frustrated and put it away for another day before I did something dumb(er). Grabbed all my stuff this evening, remembered reading this, found the reference, light bulb finally goes off and got a paper clip, unfolded and worked it a bit and what I thought was the rest of the old flint came out. New one in, this time the spring went in okay and . . . nothing. Took it all out and probed a little more and the remaining grey dust clogging it spilled out, flint in, spring in, lighter fluid and the whoosh of the jet! Now to figure out the old one - it's lost a lot of its "whoosh" and I probed it, raised the wick a hair and still it doesn't seem to pack much punch at all. Maybe too saturated? I don't know. I'm leaving it out tonight and will see what it is up to in the morning. At least the "new" one is working well, I'll torch some tobacco tomorrow!View attachment 174709View attachment 174712
The older one works fine this morning - not sure on the issue last night, maybe needed to evaporate a little excess fuel. Or maybe I was pushing it too hard and it needed a little rest between encounters - we have something in common, lol. 8DEF64DA-C2BF-4323-8BCA-E7FF096926C7.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon