PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Just picked up this mid to late 40s 362 (3rd grade 312). It's in good condition and should clean up to be a nice pipe. This seems smaller than later examples of the 312 that I've had (although I don't have them anymore so can't compare). It came in a later box, but does anyone know if the paper sleeve is original to it?View attachment 256265
I had a NOS Dublin & London boxed pipe. Blue & white, for a Kapet & it came with a red vinyl sock, Peterson’s in gold lettering. That one was from the 50’s. No help to you of course & I’ve no idea if your paper sleeve is original to the box. Oh well, if one can’t help one can help muddy the waters.🙂

sunnysmokes

Lurker
Oct 10, 2023
Tropical United States
Sorry for asking another question here, not sure of a better place to do it. Is a Sherlock Holmes pipe the same as a system pipe? I see on Peterson's website the pipe described as "a tubular, almost trumpeting Calabash shape: an XL version of the 305(b) System" so I'm a bit confused.

Reactions: Nevaditude
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Sorry for asking another question here, not sure of a better place to do it. Is a Sherlock Holmes pipe the same as a system pipe? I see on Peterson's website the pipe described as "a tubular, almost trumpeting Calabash shape: an XL version of the 305(b) System" so I'm a bit confused.
Sherlock Holmes pipes are not systems.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Peterson has a line of pipes called Sherlock Holmes. They contain certain shapes that are often named after a character from the series like Milverton (which is shape XL24 if not found in the Sherlock line).

The shape you seem to be referring to is the XL5 which is often described as a trumpeting calabash and often called the Sherlock Holmes shape. This shape can be found as a system pipe.

I think sometime in the early 90s they released the Sherlock line shapes as system pipes but I don’t think it’s been done since then.

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Here's an interesting one. I bought this thinking the nomenclature read 'Kapp & Peterson's Dublin', and was possibly a pre-Patent Peterson. Unfortunately, no such luck. However, it turned out to still be quite an interesting piece, a 'Dummy' (the very first iteration of Irish Seconds). Here's what Mark Irwin said in an email:

'This is the original “reject” or “second” line, the K&P DUMMY, of the Patent era. I have never seen one with a brass band. Either the nickel was buffed off, or, as I suspect, it was original either brass or composite of some kind. The pipe was sold primarily in Ireland, mostly at the Dublin shop(s) K&P ran on Grafton Street. A few might have been sold by Arthur Colton in London, but I doubt it, since K&P was trying to preserve their reputation and they sold these mainly to locals who were used to clay pipes and wanted to try a new-fangled briar but not spend anything.'

And a link to the Peterson Pipe Notes article on them:

I have seen one other (similar shape to this one) with a nickel-coloured band. This one (possibly all of them?) has an orific bit.

This one has many dinks and a couple of fills, but in person it's a lovely big chunk of briar with some nice grain patterning under the grime. The chamber size is probably not far off the size of my Pub Pipe.396638685_662544966014507_1211012234613812938_n.jpg