PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
When they try to modify my name I simply tell them that “the only person permitted to call me that is Joyce Taylor, and you ain’t Joyce Taylor”.
I never have to repeat myself.

Reactions: JOHN72

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
With a name of John, no sane adult has called me "Johnny". That was me as a kid, and was fine. Oddly, I wanted to be a "Jack" but my wishes were wasted on my family.

I try to call the person by the name he wishes. Sometimes I am introduced to, say, "Andrew". Then some one calls him "Andy", so I just ask him which he prefers.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Good morning. Well, jokes aside. I totally agree, that people should call you what you really want to be called. Except for my mother, who calls me Juanita Banana. I'd like to be really me, and not the shit that the damn translator translates. I loved your thread puff. Always grateful to you guys for your patience, for laughing together like brothers. Yes, I like to be called John, and if someone wants to call me by my real Spanish name, Juan, too.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
I prefer it, but don't call myself by my shortened name. I get Bren from mostly women (but not the missus, she has other names for me) and the odd Brendo from the blokes. Shortening your name is the custom in Australia - you guys wouldn't have a choice sadly, your names will be shortened and or added with a 'o' on the end. And forget Mike, you'll be Mick whether you like it or not. Damien? Damo it is (say Dame-O)
And, if we couldn't be arsed to remember your name then it's an automatic 'Hey Mate'. Of course if we are actually mates then I can give then highest honour and just call you c**t.
But in a nice way. Like if you were to compliment me, than I can respond with a heartfelt 'yeah, cheers c**t!'.

Jan 27, 2020
The replies in this thread has given me some insightful thoughts about social cues and human psychology. Maybe their is a benefit to the behavior of people who feel the need to habitually shorten your name, as it gives you an easily discernable reason to put them on the discard pile.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I prefer it, but don't call myself by my shortened name. I get Bren from mostly women (but not the missus, she has other names for me) and the odd Brendo from the blokes. Shortening your name is the custom in Australia - you guys wouldn't have a choice sadly, your names will be shortened and or added with a 'o' on the end. And forget Mike, you'll be Mick whether you like it or not. Damien? Damo it is (say Dame-O)
And, if we couldn't be arsed to remember your name then it's an automatic 'Hey Mate'. Of course if we are actually mates then I can give then highest honour and just call you c**t.
But in a nice way. Like if you were to compliment me, than I can respond with a heartfelt 'yeah, cheers c**t!'.

In my neck of the woods we call each other MFers affectionately.

There was another word we used.. But they've pretty much broken us all from that

StringBEan

Might Stick Around
Jul 27, 2022
Alabama
On the reverse, I go by Willie, and have had people expand it into William unnecessarily. There’s a corncob in my mouth and a gun on my hip, so William is a bit formal. Of course, the wife just calls me babe or some similar variation. To answer the question more directly, if someone calls you by the wrong name, just return the favor. It’s a passive way to correct the behavior. Plus, bonus points if you get to watch the lightbulb moment happen.

Reactions: JOHN72

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I especially don't like it when people call me "Captain," or "Boss," or some other honorary title I don't have. Some people can be friendly without being familiar, which is usually good, and others are familiar without being friendly, which isn't good.

Do they feel inferior? Do they think I think they are inferior? Hence, they're snarky about it? Hey, fraternity and equality, all is well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Real nicknames that are individual to the person are supposed to be an honor, even when they originate from an insult or embarrassment, as a sign of group acceptance. In the Navy, I was Hawk, and that seemed good.